Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: smart question
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users smart question Post 76800 by jerardfjay on Thursday 30th of June 2005 03:46:49 PM
Old 06-30-2005
assuming your input file is in_file. You could code something like this

Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh

size=$(wc -c in_file | awk -F " " '{print $1}')
half_size=`expr $size / 2`
split -b $half_size in_file

The result of the final split command will be two or three files name xaa, xab and xac. you will get two files if the in_file is even number in size else three files with the last file xac being just 1 byte.
If you wanted the first half just read xaa, else read xab and xac if available for the latter.

jerardfjay

Last edited by jerardfjay; 06-30-2005 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: more explanation

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Real smart question

hello My question is whats the difference between LP and LPR to print Sun Solaris ? lp -dprintername postscriptfile.ps or lpr -Pprintname postscriptfile.ps (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

smart script?

First, I know that's a bad title. I couldn't think of anything short enough. ... I wrote the following script to let me know when various parts of the network are down. It used to look like this before last weekend when I got over 500 emails about 1 host being down all weekend: this is in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidzero
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the difference between the commands cd ~smart and cd ~/smart

Is it possible for both commands to work? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need smart script !

Hi, I need a script to assign variables the below paths /appl/user_projects/domains/<xxx>/servers/<yyy>/logs Where <xxx> can be any number and name of directories. <yyy> can be another set of any number of names and directories. I want to neglect all the <xxx> and <yyy>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
h5unjam(1)						      General Commands Manual							h5unjam(1)

NAME
h5unjam - Extract the user block from a HDF5 file SYNOPSIS
h5unjam -i in_file.h5 [-u user_block | --delete] [-o out_file.h5] DESCRIPTION
h5unjam splits an HDF5 file, writing the user block to a file or stdout and the HDF5 file to an HDF5 file with a header at byte 0 (i.e., with no user block). If out_file.h5 is given, a new file is created with the in_file.h5 without the user block. In this case, infile.h5 is unchanged. If out_file.h5 is not specified, the user_block is removed and in_file.h5 is rewritten, starting at byte 0. If user_block is set, the user block will be written to user_block. If user_block is not set, the user block (if any) will be written to stdout. If --delete is selected, the user block will not be not written. EXAMPLE USAGE
For an HDF5 file, with_ub.h5, with a user block, extract the user block to user_block.txt and the HDF5 file to wo_ub.h5. h5unjam -i with_ub.h5 -u user_block.txt -i wo_ub.h5 RETURN VALUE
h5unjam returns the size of the output file, or -1 if an error occurs. CAVEATS
This tool copies all the data (sequentially) in the file(s) to new offsets. For a large file, this copy will take a long time. The most efficient way to create a user block is to create the file with a user block (see H5Pset_user_block), and write the user block data into that space from a program. The user block is completely opaque to the HDF5 library and to the h5jam and h5unjam tools. The user block is simply read or written as a string of bytes, which could be text or any kind of binary data. It is up to the user to know what the contents of the user block means and how to process it. When the user block is extracted, all the data is written to the output, including any padding or unwritten data. This tool moves the HDF5 file through byte copies, i.e., it does not read or interpret the HDF5 objects. SEE ALSO
h5dump(1), h5ls(1), h5diff(1), h5import(1), gif2h5(1), h52gif(1), h5perf(1), h5jam(1). h5unjam(1)