Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: looping and awk/sed help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting looping and awk/sed help Post 76505 by Zelp on Tuesday 28th of June 2005 03:21:58 PM
Old 06-28-2005
WOW, you did it!

Thanks a ton.

now I can just awk that into a file, then grep the resulting file per each table_name and save that to individual SQLs per table.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Looping in awk

Can somebody give me a cleaner way of writing the following script. I was thinking that I could use a loop in the awk statement. It works fine the way it is but I just want the script to be cleaner. #!/usr/bin/sh for r in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 do DAY=`gdate --date="${r} days ago" +%m\/%d\/%y`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: looping problem!

I am having a problem with awk when I run it with a loop. It works perfectly when I echo a single line from the commandline. For example: echo 'MFG009 9153852832' | awk '$2 ~ /^0-9]$/{print $2}' The Awk command above will print field 2 if field 2 matches 10 digits, but when I run the loop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping and using Sed

Hi guys I having som problem trying to use sed to get a file and insert inside another one. I'll try to explain better. I have a base.txt and using sed(having a array variables) I'm chaging some strings inside this file and saving as base1.txt. until here okay. Then, I have to get this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digobh
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with AWK looping

I'm trying to parse a configuration text file using awk. The following is a sample from the file I'm searching. I can retrieve the formula and recipe names easily but now I want to take it one step farther. In addition to the formula name, I would like to also get the value of the attribute... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2awk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed pattern space/looping conundrum

Although my sed skills are gradually developing, thanks in large part to this forum, I'm having a hard time dealing with pattern space and looping, which I suspect is what I'll need a better handle on to figure out my current issue, which is converting a multi line file like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping in awk

How do I remove last comma? echo "xx yy zz" | awk 'BEGIN{FS=" "}{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) printf "%s,", $i}'output: xx,yy,zz, required output: xx,yy,zz or (ideally!): xx, yy & zz many thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: euval
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK looping over 2 variables

I would like to loop over variables i and j consecutively, { a = -6.7 b = 7.0 c =0.1 { for (i = 0; i<=(b-a)/c; i++) for (j = 1; j<=(b-a)/c; j++) '$1<=(a+j*c)&&$1>=(a+i*c)' FILENAME > output_j '{print $2}' output_j > output_j_f } I essentially want to print the range of $1... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on looping using awk

I have the data like this: PONUMBER,SUPPLIER,LINEITEM,SPLITLINE,LINEAMOUNT,CURRENCY IR5555,Supplier1,1,1,83.1,USD IR5555,Supplier1,1,3,40.4,USD IR5555,Supplier1,1,6,54.1,USD IR5555,Supplier1,1,8,75.1,USD IR5556,Supplier2,1,1,41.1,USD IR5556,Supplier2,1,3,43.1,USD ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffreybsu
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Looping and sed

Hi, I've got text files (say file1 and file2) in a directory (say directory1) with several columns like this: a b c d a b c de f g h e f g hI need to add a header to the files in directory1 and the names of the columns must contain an identifier from another text file (say file3) like this:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk nested looping?

I am trying to parse a text file and send its output to another file but I am having trouble conceptualizing how I am supposed to do this in awk. The text file has a organization like so: Name Date Status Location (city, state, zip fields) Where each of these is on a separate line in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kellyanneghj
1 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)