Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do l test for carriage return & Disk space usage Post 76473 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 28th of June 2005 12:45:09 PM
Old 06-28-2005
bdf or df du give information about disk usage.
For example:
Code:
 bdf . | awk '{ if(NR==2){print $5}}'

gives you the % free on the current disk.

'\015' is octal for ASCII 13 - carriage return.
You can use:
Code:
expr index $VAR '\015'

to get the position of a carriage return (0=none found) in the variable VAR.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding disk space usage

How would I go about finding the about of disk space occupied by a certain directory? For example, /u1/cvera => 530 MB Thanks =) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvera8
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to determine the disk space usage

how can we determine the disk space used by a certain directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor disk space usage

Some times my disk space is used upto 100% due to the application logs . So this script is to monitor the disk space usage and wall message to the users about the disk space usage if it exceeds the limit set in the script. Here for example the limit is set to 80%. This job is added in cron to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

strip carriage return & append next line

Hello everyone, I am trying to search a file for lines that start with 'ip:' and have a carriage return after(ip:$). I then want to remove the carriage return from that line and append the next line in the file to the line containing 'ip'. I tried doing this with SED, but had no luck. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Usage - Space Used

Hi all, FreeBSD7.1 @ sh. In a backup script I am trying to get the blocks used by the backup once completed. I am using the function: #!/bin/sh spaceused() { du -d 0 "${1}" | awk -F"+" '{ print $1 } } to return the blocks used of said directory and contents. Via. command line... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
7 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Issue with disk space usage

Issue with disk space usage I have the following line in my "df -h" output: Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/ad4s1a 496M 495M -39M 109% / What is the issue with having 9% excess utilisation? How can I find out what this partition is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Disk Space Usage Status via email

Hi Guys, Is there any way I can write a script that sends DISK SPACE USAGE STATUS via email once a week? Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: g4v1n
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Generic command for disk space usage

Given this directory /web I need to get the current usage (in %) on Linux and Unix both using the same command on bash shell ? The command i tried was working on Unix (solaris) but does not filter the desired same value when run of Linux. My command df -h /web | awk '{print $5}' | sed -n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate disk space usage email alert

hi all members I have a shell script to generate disk space usage email alert if threshold is more than 80 %, now the requirement changed to keep sending alert emails for every 5% incremental usage ........ Any help would be greatly appreciated. ex - 80% , 85% ,90%,95%,100% we should get an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil529
6 Replies
expr(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  expr(1B)

NAME
expr - evaluate arguments as a logical, arithmetic, or string expression SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/expr argument... DESCRIPTION
The expr utility evaluates expressions as specified by its arguments. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Each token of the expression is a separate argument, so terms of the expression must be separated by blanks. Characters special to the shell must be escaped. Note: 0 is returned to indicate a zero value, rather than the null string. Strings containing blanks or other special characters should be quoted. Integer-valued arguments may be preceded by a unary minus sign. Internally, integers are treated as 32-bit, two's-complement numbers. The operators and keywords are listed below. Characters that need to be escaped are preceded by `'. The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped within {} symbols. expr | expr Returns the evaluation of the first expr if it is neither NULL nor 0; otherwise, returns the evaluation of the second expr if it is not NULL; otherwise, 0. expr & expr Returns the first expr if neither expr is NULL or 0, otherwise returns 0. expr { =, , , <, <=, != } expr Returns the result of an integer comparison if both arguments are integers, otherwise returns the result of a lexical comparison. expr { +, - } expr Addition or subtraction of integer-valued arguments. expr { , /, % } expr Multiplication, division, or remainder of the integer-valued arguments. string : regular-expression match string regular-expression The two forms of the matching operator above are synonymous. The matching operators : and match compare the first argument with the second argument which must be a regular expression. Regular expression syntax is the same as that of regexp(5), except that all pat- terns are "anchored" (treated as if they begin with ^) and therefore ^ is not a special character, in that context. Normally, the matching operator returns the number of characters matched (0 on failure). Alternatively, the ... pattern symbols can be used to return a portion of the first argument. substr string integer-1 integer-2 Extracts the substring of string starting at position integer-1 and of length integer-2 characters. If integer-1 has a value greater than the length of string, expr returns a null string. If you try to extract more characters than there are in string, expr returns all the remaining characters from string. Beware of using negative values for either integer-1 or integer-2 as expr tends to run forever in these cases. index string character-list Reports the first position in string at which any one of the characters in character-list matches a character in string. length string Returns the length (that is, the number of characters) of string. ( expr ) Parentheses may be used for grouping. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Adding an integer to a shell variable Add 1 to the shell variable a. a='expr $a + 1' Example 2 Returning a path name segment Return the last segment of a path name (that is, the filename part). Watch out for / alone as an argument: expr will take it as the divi- sion operator (see BUGS below). # 'For $a equal to either "/usr/abc/file" or just "file"' expr $a : '.*/ $a Example 3 Using // characters to simplify the expression The addition of the // characters eliminates any ambiguity about the division operator and simplifies the whole expression. # A better representation of example 2. expr //$a : '.*/ Example 4 Returning the value of a variable Returns the number of characters in $VAR. expr $VAR : '.*' EXIT STATUS
expr returns the following exit codes: 0 If the expression is neither NULL nor 0. 1 If the expression is NULL or 0. 2 For invalid expressions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), test(1), attributes(5), regexp(5) DIAGNOSTICS
syntax error for operator/operand errors non-numeric argument if arithmetic is attempted on such a string division by zero if an attempt to divide by zero is made BUGS
After argument processing by the shell, expr cannot tell the difference between an operator and an operand except by the value. If $a is an =, the command: expr $a = '=' looks like: expr = = = as the arguments are passed to expr (and they will all be taken as the = operator). The following works: expr X$a = X= Note: the match, substr, length, and index operators cannot themselves be used as ordinary strings. That is, the expression: example% expr index expurgatorious length syntax error example% generates the `syntax error' message as shown instead of the value 1 as you might expect. SunOS 5.11 6 Jun 2000 expr(1B)