Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: touch and echo
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting touch and echo Post 76036 by rahul123_libra on Friday 24th of June 2005 06:58:26 AM
Old 06-24-2005
touch and echo

Touch will create the specifie file with no data in it

If the file already exists it will change its last access time

> /dir/file

is the path of the specified file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command help

Hi, This might be the stupidest question ever but here it goes, i need to create a file with the name Hello! It's $s It using the touch command but whenever i use touch 'Hello! It's $s' i get s is undefined touch Hello! It's $s i get ' unmatched Please help ^_^ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsn
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

touch

why am i unable to change the timestamp on a file I'm getting the following error on AIX. touch: cannot change times Any help is appreciated. Regards, Ram. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch all files and subdirectories (recursive touch)

I have a folder with many subdirectories and i need to set the modified date to today for everything in it. Please help, thanks! I tried something i found online, find . -print0 | xargs -r0 touch but I got the error: xargs: illegal option -- r (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

touch help

I need to change the modified time to below time , but can't get through using touch Nov 27 10:16 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command

Is there a way to do... touch ./config/newdir/newfile if neither newdir and newfile exists? man touch tells me there's not (?) Is out there another tool to do that? Thx in advance! :b: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: funyotros
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on touch command

Hi all I changed some of my files in my hoem directory to old dates using the touch command like this touch -t 200805101024 file name but after using this command the date changed properly but it displays like below -rwxr--r-- 1 fincntrg fingrp 193619 May 10 2008 vi.pdf I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch Challenge

I've been given a directory full of subdirectories full of logfiles of the same name: /logfiles/day1/file1/blockednodes.csv day1-14 file1-48 The above is the actual directory structure for 14 days worth of a logfile that is generated every 30 minutes. It's been done this way to preserve the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
15 Replies
touch(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						 touch(1B)

NAME
touch - change file access and modification times SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/touch [-acfm] file... DESCRIPTION
touch sets the access and modification times of each file to the current time. file is created if it does not already exist. OPTIONS
-a Change the access time of file. Do not change the modification time unless -m is also specified. -c Do not create file if it does not exist. -f Attempt to force the touch in spite of read and write permissions on file. -m Change the modification time of file. Do not change the access time unless -a is also specified. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of touch when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 touch executed successfully and all requested changes were made. >0 An error occurred. touch returns the number of files for which the times could not be successfully modified. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
touch(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.11 26 Oct 1995 touch(1B)