Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Veritas DataBase Backup
Operating Systems Solaris Veritas DataBase Backup Post 76006 by ppass on Friday 24th of June 2005 02:03:06 AM
Old 06-24-2005
Veritas DataBase Backup

hi ,

we have a monthly policy for database backups .
the database is a huge one about 200 GB in size and every month , we shut down the database and take a full system backup .
my question is : Is there a way to know that i have taken a valid backup, I need to do something like a test restore without actually restoring a thing
i mean not just the error log , if i want to restore the database will it start up .
in Oracle 10g RMAN can validatae a backup peice and checks if it is valid .

iam using ORALCE 9i over Solaris 9 , Veritas netbackup 5.0
Hardware :SF6800 and and T3+ Storage .

thank you
cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup of Product Database

HI, I know its scarey me asking this, but system is homegrown and I am just having fun, but at the same time dont want to have tooo much fun where the phrase "little knowledge is dangerous" perfectly fits my actions ;-). I have a couple of packages that are failing to be removed... #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Student37
2 Replies

2. SuSE

SuSE Backup on Veritas

I am running SuSE 9.1 and want to backup my LVM vg00 on Veritas Backup Exec 10 Win2K server. My problem, I am unable to browse any of the folder/files of LVM vg00 in Veritas. He could find files on rooot but not in LVM. Any idea/help will be much appreciated. Thanks, Aa (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aamirs
1 Replies

3. SCO

Veritas Backup Agent on SCO problem

Hello All, We have Veritas Backup Exec on a Windows 2003 OS and trying to setup the Ralus agent on SCO to perform regular backups of our Unixware system; but for some reason after "I believe" installing the agent on SCO; and launching it using the 'agent.be" command I receive a syntax error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yorgy
1 Replies

4. SCO

Veritas Unix Backup Agent won't start

I have 3 SCO 5.0.5 machines. Two are running the /etc/bkupexec/agent.be just fine but the 3rd fails with a NRL initialization error. It can't seem to find the backup server in the /etc/hosts file. The entry is in the /etc/hosts file. The perms are set correctly on /etc /etc/bkupexec... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnpaul
0 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem with Database backup

Hi! This is my first post and im not that familiar with UNIX but I'll try to explain my problem.. I have a server here at work running Open UNIX Release 8.0.0 It has a special application on it that I'm trying to run a database backup on. For the last 2 weeks this has failed.. Usually the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TaZ
2 Replies

6. Solaris

How can i take private region backup in veritas

Hello experts, I am using Veritas Volume Manager 5.0. How can i take private region backup and restoration. thanks in advance... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
3 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.3 & Veritas Backup with Tape Library

hello, I am facing this problem when trying to prepare AIX 5.3 for Veritas Backup: Veritas Software is not able to communicate properly with our tape library When we tried to run these commands here's the output # cfgmgr -l fscsi0 # cfgmgr -l fscsi2 # cfgmgr -l fscsi1 cfgmgr:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies

8. AIX

Help me install Backup Exec (formerlly owned by Veritas) agent on AIX machine :(

Hi all. I hope someone could give me a hand on installing Backup Exec agent on AIX machine :( Agent: OS: AIX 5.3 Hostname: DB-HN-SRV02 IP: 10.1.4.64 Backup server: OS: Windows Server 2003 Hostname: backup-srv IP: 10.1.5.51 I download "Legacy Unix agent.tar", untar, then run file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsddaemon
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for backup database

Hello sir, i have used this for taking the database backup 5 * * * * \usr\bin\sh\mysqldump -h localhost -u username-ppassword cms> /home/dbbackup.sql. but it creates a zero size database and in mail it gives error like command not found. Please Help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niva
3 Replies

10. Solaris

how to restore backup from veritas vm in ufs file system

Hi all I have a DLT tape in that tape backup is there is in veritas volume format and i want to restore it in ufs file system how can i do it? right now i don't have veritas file system setup. i have only ufs file sysytem please help some production data is to be restore. backup was taken... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
0 Replies
BACKUP_DBVERIFY(8)					       AFS Command Reference						BACKUP_DBVERIFY(8)

NAME
backup_dbverify - Checks the integrity of the Backup Database SYNOPSIS
backup dbverify [-detail] [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup db [-d] [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup dbverify command checks the integrity of the Backup Database. The command's output indicates whether the Backup Database is damaged (data is corrupted) or not. If the Backup Database is undamaged, it is safe to continue using it. If it is corrupted, discontinue any backup operations until it is repaired. CAUTIONS
While this command runs, no other backup operation can access the Backup Database; the other commands do not run until this command completes. Avoid issuing this command when other backup operations are likely to run. The backup savedb command repairs some types of corruption. OPTIONS
-detail Reports the number of orphaned blocks found, any inconsistencies, and the name of the server machine running the Backup Server that is checking its copy of the database. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The command displays one of the following two messages: Database OK The database is undamaged and can be used. Database not OK The database is damaged. You can use the backup savedb command to repair many kinds of corruption as it creates a backup copy. For more detailed instructions, see the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter about performing backup operations. The -detail flag provides additional information: o The number of orphan blocks found. These are ranges of memory that the Backup Server preallocated in the database but cannot use. Orphan blocks do not interfere with database access, but do waste disk space. To free the unusable space, dump the database to tape by using the backup savedb command, and then restore it by using the backup restoredb command. o Any inconsistencies in the database, such as invalid hostnames for Tape Coordinator machines. o The name of the database server machine on which the Backup Database was checked, designated as the "Database checker". For a detailed trace of the verification operation, see the /var/log/openafs/BackupLog file on the indicated machine. You can use the bos getlog command to display it. EXAMPLES
The following command confirms that the Backup Database is undamaged: % backup dbverify Database OK The following command confirms that the Backup Database is undamaged and that it has no orphan blocks or invalid Tape Coordinator entries. The Backup Server running on the machine "db1.abc.com" checked its copy of the Database. % backup dbverify -detail Database OK Orphan blocks 0 Database checker was db1.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
BackupLog(5), backup(8), backup_restoredb(8), backup_savedb(8), bos_getlog(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_DBVERIFY(8)