Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ksh - strings
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh - strings Post 75828 by RishiPahuja on Wednesday 22nd of June 2005 10:26:25 AM
Old 06-22-2005
MySQL

Try with egrep

Code:
egrep "$a" $filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx: concatenating strings for message body (KSH)

Hi all, Think this is a pretty simple problem, but I've been thinking about it for a few days. Let's say that I'm going to have to output the contents of a file as the body of a mailx message. I'll probably do this: cat <filename> | mailx <extra commands> However, how do I go about doing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: Comparing strings that contain spaces and working with substrings

Forgive me. I am very new to kornshell scripts. The simplest things stop me dead in my tracks. Here are two such examples. I want to save the first 19 characters of the following string to a variable. "Operation Completed and blah blah blah" I know this works (from another thread): ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nancylt723
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh :: want to cut the strings

I have contents like 423562143124/53125351276 sdgas/347236 sjhdk;ls'ald/y62783612763 I need a command that would make the string before / and after / as separate output as (A should contain 423562143124 )and B should contain 53125351276). I tried but in vain. Please help. (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rollthecoin
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh-script "arithmetic syntax error" comparing strings

Hi all, Iīve already searched the forum but canīt find what i am doing wrong. I am trying to compare two variables using ksh under red hat. The error I get is: -ksh: .: MDA=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_after_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 ` MDB=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_before_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 `... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: old_mike
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve space while concatenating strings? (KSH)

I have these str1=$(echo "This is string one with spaces \n This is also my sentence 1") When I echo $str1, it displays the new line character properly. Now I have another new variable say str2. I want to concatenate in this way.. str1 + newline character + and then str2. That's I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Script to watch log files for 2 strings

Hi all, How can I do a ksh script to watch a log file for 2 specific alarms that have one this string : "Connection Error" and the other one: "Failure in sending". I would like to watch for these two alarms in the log and then if each of them repeats for about 30 times to go kill 2 processes. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2

Hello guys, should be a very easy questn for you: I need to delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2. like file2: word1_word2_ word3_word5_ word3_word4_ word6_word7_ file1: word1_word2_otherwords..,word3_word5_others... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: how to extract strings from each line based on a condition

Hi , I'm a newbie.Never worked on Unix before. I want a shell script to perform the following: I want to extract strings from each line ,based on the type of line(Nameline,Subline) and output it to another file.Below is a sample format. 2010-12-21 14:00"1"Nameline"Midterm"First Name:Jane ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angie1234
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies
BZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZGREP(1)

NAME
bzgrep, bzfgrep, bzegrep - search possibly bzip2 compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
bzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzegrep [ egrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzfgrep [ fgrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Bzgrep is used to invoke the grep on bzip2-compressed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If bzgrep is invoked as bzegrep or bzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, bzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep bzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; bzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca). Adapted to bzip2 by Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> for Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), bzdiff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzip2(1) BZGREP(1)