Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: add columns with awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting add columns with awk Post 75619 by muthukumar on Tuesday 21st of June 2005 03:02:49 AM
Old 06-21-2005
You can use getline utility with awk program as,

awk '{ getline ln < "file1"; print ln" "$0 }' file

hth.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

awk- add columns and make new column and save as newfile

Hi, I have file as below: 5 6 7 4 8 9 3 5 6 output needs to be another file with 4th column as $1+$2 and 5th column as $3+$4. sample output file 5 6 7 11 18 4 8 9 12 21 3 5 6 8 14 Anybody have answer Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command for add 2 columns and remove 2 columns in unix/performance tuning

Hi all, I have created a script which adding two columns and removing two columns for all files. Filename: Cust_information_1200_201010.txt Source Data: "1","Cust information","123","106001","street","1-203 high street" "1","Cust information","124","105001","street","1-203 high street" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK : Add columns in the end of csv file

Hi everybody, I need some help please I have a csv file named masterFile1.csv header1,header2,header3 value1,value2,value3 value4,value5,value6 I am trying to add new columns in the end of the csv to have a new csv file named masterFile2.csv like this :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: villebonnais
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add columns based on a pattern using awk?

Hi, I have a file with more than 1000 lines with ~14 columns. I need to find all the lines with matching value in column 14 and then add column 6 in all the lines before printing them out.. e.g if this is the input file: abc test input 10 for process 2345 abc test input 15 for process 2348... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xkdasari
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk to add/subtract an integer to/from each entry in columns?

---------- Post updated at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:48 PM ---------- For some reason my question is not getting printed. Here are the details: Greetings. I would like to add/subtact an integer to/from two columns of integers. I feel like this should be easy using awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with awk solution to add columns

Hi all. Wondering if someone can help with an awk solution to a problem I'm stumped with. I have a matrix file with >1000 fields and would like to add another column after each column with a text label. For example: Input: $cat file.txt name col1 col2 col3 coln aaaa ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add 8 columns at the end of .csv file using awk

Hello all, I have a .csv file of 16 columns consists of bunch of numbers. 6.45E+01 1.17E+01 8.10E+04 8.21E+01 8.50E+00 1.20E+01 1.02E+01 1.88E+01 1.86E+04 3.53E+03 1.09E+07 3.82E+04 2.09E+03 3.57E+03 2.98E+03 3.93E+03 6.34E+01 3.23E+01 9.24E+04 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate 2 columns, add sum IF two columns satisfy the condition

HI All, I'm embedding SQL query in Script which gives following output: Assignee Group Total ABC Group1 17 PQR Group2 5 PQR Group3 6 XYZ Group1 10 XYZ Group3 5 I have saved the above output in a file. How do i sum up the contents of this output so as to get following output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khushbu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add character to specific columns using sed or awk and make it a permanent change

Hi, I am writing a shell script where I want that # should be added in all those lines as the first character where the pattern matches. file has lot of functions defined a.sh #!/bin/bash fn a { beautiful evening sunny day } fn b { } fn c { hello world .its a beautiful day ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk add all columns if column 1 name matches

Hi - I want to add all columns if column1 name matches. TOPIC1 5 1 4 TOPIC2 3 2 1 TOPIC3 7 2 5 TOPIC1 6 3 3 TOPIC2 4 1 3 TOPIC3 9 5 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . Result should look like TOPIC1 11 4 7 TOPIC2 7 3 4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
1 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-terminated and includes the newline character, if a newline delimiter was found. If *lineptr is NULL, the getline() routine will allocate a buffer for containing the line, which must be freed by the user program. Alter- natively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc()-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line read in, getline() resizes the buffer to fit with realloc(), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with getline(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null character. This value can be used to handle embedded null characters in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end of file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad parameters (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE * fp; char * line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } if (line) free(line); return EXIT_SUCCESS; } CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() are GNU extensions. They are available since libc 4.6.27. SEE ALSO
read(2), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), fgets(3), scanf(3) GNU
2001-10-07 GETLINE(3)