Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX how to pre-determine if a reboot is required? Post 75274 by bakunin on Thursday 16th of June 2005 12:21:55 PM
Old 06-16-2005
Ok, i copied two sample files to a directory and did as I said. The first example is a file requiring no reboot:

Code:
0 061616135805 2
bos.adt.include.5.1.0.67.bff 4 R S bos.adt {
bos.adt.include 05.01.0000.0067 1 N U en_US Base Application Development Include
 Files
[
*ifreq bos.64bit (5.1.0.0) 5.1.0.50
*ifreq bos.adt.syscalls (5.1.0.0) 5.1.0.50
<rest snipped>

now a file requiring a reboot:

Code:
0 061616181805 2
bos.mp64.5.1.0.66.bff 4 R S bos.mp64 {
bos.mp64 05.01.0000.0066 1 b U en_US Base Operating System 64-bit Multiprocessor
 Runtime
[
*ifreq bos.64bit (5.1.0.0) 5.1.0.50
*ifreq bos.adt.include (5.1.0.0) 5.1.0.63
<rest snipped>

Notice the difference in the third lines of the outputs:

"bos.adt.include 05.01.0000.0067 1 N U en_US...."

versus:

"bos.mp64 05.01.0000.0066 1 b U en_US...."

This "b" means "have to reboot afterwards". And, yes, it is failsafe because this flag is what is making installp initiating the reboot in first place.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pre defined variables

Hi First I want to explain the scenerio : In my project I want to control the printing of some messages. Thats why I use #ifdef MESSAGE ------------print message-------------- #endif And when I compile the program with -DMESSAGE option, it shows all message and without -DMESSAGE option... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
7 Replies

2. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Determine last reboot when wtmp broken

Hi - How can I determine the time my system was last booted when my "wtmp" file is broken? (It is being cleaned out incorrectly, I'mm working on that issue) ie uptime shows invalid details and who -b shows "nothing at all" is there a shutdown log somewhere that may indicat the last re-boot? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Pre-requsite for patches.......

Hi all....... I want to download some patches.......Is there any pre-requsite is taken before downloading a patch........... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
1 Replies

5. Debian

How to determine if a package needs a reboot?

Hi, Anyone got a clue? is there some tool for it? couldnt find it in apt get, anyway i hope so cos i must build a patch management tool for work:P Greetz. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: X-ion
10 Replies

6. AIX

Pre-checks

AIX Guys!!! What pre-checks would you do on a 5.3 server before TL/SP/APAR installation? Bala (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
2 Replies

7. AIX

Pre Login Screen

Is it possible to have the user press enter to acknowledge a message before typing in his or her login name and password? I need to add this functionality to the CDE login, ssh, and ibm 3151 console on AIX 5.3. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prichard
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting required fields from a test file in required fromat in unix

My data is something like shown below. date1 date2 aaa bbbb ccccc date3 date4 dddd eeeeeee ffffffffff ggggg hh I want the output like this date1date2 aaa eeeeee I serached in the forum but didn't find the exact matching solution. Please help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i get the first day of the pre month

how can i get the first day of the pre month in Bash (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qjlongs
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Reboot required on Server, Just confirm my settings.

Hi Guys, I need to reboot one Server as the newly inserted disk is not getting detected in system , I have also confirmed with Sun Support and finally it was the reboot which was required after doing all troubleshooting stuff. So I have disassembled the mirror and kept working disk's single... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
3 Replies
BOS_HELP(8)						       AFS Command Reference						       BOS_HELP(8)

NAME
bos_help - Displays help for bos commands SYNOPSIS
bos help [-topic <help string>+] [-help] bos h [-t <help string>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The bos help command displays the complete online help entry (short description and syntax statement) for each command operation code specified by the -topic argument. If the -topic argument is omitted, the output includes the first line (name and short description) of the online help entry for every bos command. To list every bos command whose name or short description includes a specified keyword, use the bos apropos command. OPTIONS
-topic <help string>+ Indicates each command for which to display the complete online help entry. Omit the bos part of the command name, providing only the operation code (for example, specify status, not bos status). If this argument is omitted, the output briefly describes every bos command. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The online help entry for each bos command consists of the following two or three lines: o The first line names the command and briefly describes its function. o The second line lists aliases for the command, if any. o The final line, which begins with the string "Usage", lists the command's options in the prescribed order. Online help entries use the same symbols (for example, brackets) as the reference pages in this document. EXAMPLES
The following command displays the online help entry for the bos status command: % bos help status bos status: show server instance status Usage: bos status -server <machine name> [-instance <server process name>+] [-long] [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-help] PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
bos(8), bos_apropos(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BOS_HELP(8)