Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX how to pre-determine if a reboot is required? Post 75209 by bakunin on Thursday 16th of June 2005 06:00:00 AM
Old 06-16-2005
Copy your fixes to a directory, then make this your current directory and issue an "inutoc .". A file called ".toc" will be created. For every package there is a multiline entry created, in the first line of this entry there is a single "b" or "B" if a bosboot is required.

You might want to search comp.unix.aix for "installp reboot" for this issue explained and check the AIX 5.2 (5.1) documentation for "installp" (rather lengthy) for the details of this.

You can try this by copying only one fix which you know to (not) require a reboot to a firectory and compare the various .toc-files generated by "inutoc".

Hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pre defined variables

Hi First I want to explain the scenerio : In my project I want to control the printing of some messages. Thats why I use #ifdef MESSAGE ------------print message-------------- #endif And when I compile the program with -DMESSAGE option, it shows all message and without -DMESSAGE option... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
7 Replies

2. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Determine last reboot when wtmp broken

Hi - How can I determine the time my system was last booted when my "wtmp" file is broken? (It is being cleaned out incorrectly, I'mm working on that issue) ie uptime shows invalid details and who -b shows "nothing at all" is there a shutdown log somewhere that may indicat the last re-boot? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Pre-requsite for patches.......

Hi all....... I want to download some patches.......Is there any pre-requsite is taken before downloading a patch........... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
1 Replies

5. Debian

How to determine if a package needs a reboot?

Hi, Anyone got a clue? is there some tool for it? couldnt find it in apt get, anyway i hope so cos i must build a patch management tool for work:P Greetz. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: X-ion
10 Replies

6. AIX

Pre-checks

AIX Guys!!! What pre-checks would you do on a 5.3 server before TL/SP/APAR installation? Bala (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
2 Replies

7. AIX

Pre Login Screen

Is it possible to have the user press enter to acknowledge a message before typing in his or her login name and password? I need to add this functionality to the CDE login, ssh, and ibm 3151 console on AIX 5.3. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prichard
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting required fields from a test file in required fromat in unix

My data is something like shown below. date1 date2 aaa bbbb ccccc date3 date4 dddd eeeeeee ffffffffff ggggg hh I want the output like this date1date2 aaa eeeeee I serached in the forum but didn't find the exact matching solution. Please help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i get the first day of the pre month

how can i get the first day of the pre month in Bash (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qjlongs
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Reboot required on Server, Just confirm my settings.

Hi Guys, I need to reboot one Server as the newly inserted disk is not getting detected in system , I have also confirmed with Sun Support and finally it was the reboot which was required after doing all troubleshooting stuff. So I have disassembled the mirror and kept working disk's single... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
3 Replies
reboot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 reboot(8)

Name
       reboot - automatic reboot procedures

Syntax
       /etc/reboot [ -n ] [ -q ]

Description
       The  ULTRIX  system is booted by loading a kernel image, usually into memory at location zero and transferring to zero.	Because the system
       is not reenterable, the kernel image must be read in from disk each time the system is bootstrapped.

When the reboot of a running system is desired, is normally used.  If there are no users, can be used.  The command causes the disks to	be
       synced,	and  then  a multiuser reboot is initiated.  The system is booted and an automatic disk check is performed.  If the procedure suc-
       ceeds, the system is then brought up for the users.

The system will reboot itself after a power failure or after a crash, provided auto-restart is enabled on your system.  A consistency check
       of the file systems will be performed and, unless the check fails, the system will resume multiuser operations.

Options
       -n   Prevents the disks from being synced.

-q   Reboots quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first.

Files
       System code

See Also
       crash(8v), fsck(8), halt(8), init(8), newfs(8), rc(8), shutdown(8)

reboot(8)