Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers using Tar -cvf file.tar "Need Help" Post 74991 by wev on Tuesday 14th of June 2005 05:00:10 PM
Old 06-14-2005
Yea, that does not work I was already at ~kw4691. I just want to be able to tar the files on one server , FTP to another server, and untar without having to match the path where the files were originally tarred.

i.e sneezy server /home/user/input/xxx.pdf's and on bashful server I don't want to have to create that same path "/home/user/input/". I want to be able to untar in /home or /home/user or wherever.

Thanks,

Kevin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using TAR -cvf test.tar "HELP"

Ok, I use the command tar -cvf /home/output/test.tar /home/input on one UNIX server, lets call it sneezy. I FTP the tared file over to another server, lets call it bashful. Use the tar -xvf test.tar command and get a error indicating that it is looking for the same directory as where the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wev
3 Replies

2. AIX

"tar" Check sum error

I have a tar file that contains some 50 files in it. while trying to untar i get a checksum error. iam unable to retreive the fiiles from that. Can anyone please help me...? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaa
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shortcut for tar cvf - [filename] | gzip > [filename].tar.gz

i'd like to have an alias (or something similar) where i can type a command like "archive" and a filename and have it tar and gzip the file, so... $ archive filename results in filename.tar.gz...do i have to write a script to do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcamp1973
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar "--totals" writes to stderr not stdout?

I want to use the "--totals" option in GNU tar for some reporting, however I have discovered that it writes the output to stderr not stdout and I would like to know why. This is running from BASH. mkdir /tmp/test touch /tmp/test/foo.file cd /tmp/ tar --totals -clpzf test.tar.gz test 2>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bus error while using command tar -cvf

Hi, I am working on a mac OSX machine. I am getting bus error :confused: when i use the command tar -cvf file1.tar file1 What could be the reason for this?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shweeths
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify files with "Normal termination" and compress them into a .tar.gz file

Hi, I have hundreds of files "*.out" located in one folder, and I want to: 1. Identify the good files containing "Normal termination" (grep "Normal termination" *.out ) 2. Compress the good files into a tar.gz file (tar cvfz good.tar.gz *.goog.out ) Is there a way I can automate this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"Walk" apache installs and do a tar on them...

Hello unix.com Community: I need help with writing a "common" script that can get the httpd installs by name and install directory|ies and tar.gz them up by name and point that tar operation to the matching install directory. I have 2 Distros that I am concerned with for this task: CentOS and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
3 Replies

9. Ubuntu

What is solution for this error "tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors"?

Does anyone know what is solution for this error ?tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors from last 3 days I am trying to take backup of home/user directory getting again and again same error please anyone give me solution (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies
CALENDARSERVER_EXPORT(8)				    BSD System Manager's Manual 				  CALENDARSERVER_EXPORT(8)

NAME
calendarserver_export -- Darwin Calendar Server Export Tool SYNOPSIS
calendarserver_export [-f config_file] [-o output_file] [-c collection] [-H home] [-r record] [-u user] DESCRIPTION
calendarserver_export is a tool that generates a single iCalendar file containing all of the iCalendar components found from all specified input sources, providing server administrators a means by which to export data from the Darwin Calandar Server into a format that can be viewed and/or manipulated by other tools. Multiple input sources may be specified; the resulting iCalendar data will contain the combined data from all sources. OPTIONS
-h, --help Displays usage information -f, --config FILE Use the Calendar Server configuration specified in the given file. -o, --output FILE Write resulting iCalendar data to the given file. -c, --collection DIRECTORY Read iCalendar objects from the calendar collection at the given path. -h, --home DIRECTORY Read iCalendar objects from all calendar collections within the calendar home at the given path. -r, --record TYPE:NAME Read iCalendar objects from all calendar collections within the calendar home for the directory record of the given type with the given name. -u, --user NAME Read iCalendar objects from all calendar collections within the calendar home for the directory user with the given name. This is shorthand for -r user:NAME. FILES
/etc/caldavd/caldavd.plist The Calendar Server configuration file. /Library/CalendarServer/Documents The server's document root, which is the used as the backing store for the HTTP resources on the server. SEE ALSO
caldavd(8) STANDARDS
The iCalendar data generated by calendarserver_export is expected to comply with RFC 2445 (iCalendar). BSD
November 6, 2008 BSD