Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Boot in Single-Mode
Operating Systems AIX Boot in Single-Mode Post 74948 by aldowsary on Tuesday 14th of June 2005 01:49:31 PM
Old 06-14-2005
Sorry for late respond, thanks for all. But I noted that the AIX CD is required. Actually I don't have the CD, so is there any possible solution doesn't require the AIX CD.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode

Hi all, why "vi" acts differently is single user mode? Does anyone help ? I am using "x" to delete and it keeps messing up. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Single user mode

Hi all, Well back at work and back to crashing systems again :-) Does anyone know where I can find some decent information on single user mode? I need to be able to fix a few things. Don't know if it's possible in single user mode but I need to fix the "etc/vfstab" mainly I re-wrote it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single-user mode

how do you boot into single user mode? RedHat 7.1 Caldera 2.4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro81
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

Is there another way of switching to single user mode except by typing /usr/sbin/shutdown 0 ??? :rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

How to diable the single user mode.. what i want is dat my users are unable to boot in single user mode via GRUB.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankit.jss
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to boot in single user mode

My machine is a HP-UX 11iV2. I want to boot it in the single user mode. Any ideas? Regards (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sube
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Single user mode?

How to enter single user mode when UNIX/LINUX system is starting? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkreddy
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Cannot boot in single-user mode

I have Sun 240 server with Solaris 8 installed. I go to OBP and try to boot in single-user mode but it is getting hung in the middle and the only way to get out of this situation is by going to the LOM and resetting the server. Here is what is happening: {0} ok boot -s SC Alert: Host System... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
18 Replies

9. Solaris

Boot on single user mode with net services

Hi everybody, I'm running soalris 10, and I would like to know if it posible to boot on single user mode(init s), and then set up (may be manually or not) all the networks services, did someone try this before?? Tks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jespada
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between single line mode and multiline mode in Regular expressions?

Hi All, Can please let me know what is the difference between the single line mode and multi line mode in regular expresions? Thanks, Chidhambaram B (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidhu.anu
3 Replies
mkpasswd(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       mkpasswd(8)

NAME
mkpasswd - Creates a version of the basic user database organized for efficient searches SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mkpasswd [-v] [-s size] passwdfile DESCRIPTION
The mkpasswd command creates an auxiliary version of the basic user database in a form organized for efficient searches by the getpwuid subroutine and the getpwnam subroutine. The mkpasswd command reads the user attributes in the /etc/passwd file and creates a hashed pass- word database in the /etc/passwd.dir and /etc/passwd.pag files (see ndbm(3) reference page). If you specify a file other than /etc/passwd, the command reads the user attributes in that file and creates a hashed password database in the passwdfile.dir and passwdfile.pag files. It is important to know that the password file you designate must be in password file format (see the passwd(4) reference page). Note that if you use the vipw command to edit a password file, you do not need to use the mkpasswd command. This is because the vipw com- mand automatically invokes the mkpasswd command which in turn creates the /etc/passwd.dir and /etc/passwd.pag files. Only the root user should have execute access to the mkpasswd command. Files accessed: File /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.pag /etc/passwd.dir passwdfile passwdfile.pag passwdfile.dir The mkpasswd command may fail with a errno value of EFBIG if the password file is large (30,000 entries or more). This failure can be avoided by using the -s option to set a larger page block size for the hashed database. FLAGS
Specifies that each stored entry be listed on standard output Specifies the page block size to use in creating the hashed password data- base. The size argument is a value from 1 to 32, representing page block sizes from 1024 to 32768, respectively. The default page block size is 1024. EXAMPLES
If you have not used vipw to edit the /etc/passwd and wish to generate a hashed password database, enter the following: /usr/sbin/mkpasswd -v /etc/passwd An auxiliary version of the basic user database (/etc/passwd.dir and /etc/passwd.pag files) is created with a hashing algo- rithm. To create a hashed password database with a page block size of 8192, enter the following: /usr/sbin/makepasswd -s 8 /etc/passwd SECURITY NOTE
If enhanced security is running on your system, the passwords are stored in the extended attributes database. See the Security guide for more information about passwords in the enhanced security environment. RETURN VALUES
The mkpasswd command exits with a nonzero exit code if any errors are detected. ERRORS
If the mkpasswd request is not successful, the following error message is displayed: The passwdfile.dir and passwdfile.pag files already exist from a previous execution of the same mkpasswd command. FILES
Specifies the command path RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: adduser(8), passwd(1), passwd(4), vipw(8) Functions: getpwent(3), ndbm(3) Manuals: Security delim off mkpasswd(8)