Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Partition scheme for design tools server Post 74892 by smo59 on Tuesday 14th of June 2005 07:41:50 AM
Old 06-14-2005
Partition scheme for design tools server

I have been told to look after a server running Sol9 with the following structure:

c1t0d0s0 65G /
c1t2d0s7 67G /usr
c1t4d0s6 24G /var
c1t3t0s7 67G /home
c1t4d0s7 14G /opt
c1t4d0s5 29G /tmp

This server is used to hold tool installations and as a license server for EDA design tools with around 20 users max.

Is it OK to put the tool installations on the root partition, or should I use a separate partition for this?

Many thanks,

SteveO.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scp a partition to another server

I am in the process of migrating a server to another machine. Without much thought, i just copied one partition to the other server using, simple scp in at job which ended up in mess. scp -r /mnt/sda6/* root@IP:/mnt/sda9/ At first sight, it seemed correct. So i did this, for all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thegeek
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the partition size on server

Dear All, I need notification mail from server while device size crossed 80% approximately.I tried following shell .its working fine when the device name like /dev/sdc1 etc.Its not working in LVM name.For example Script: #!/bin/sh echo "Storage server space details"; df -H | grep -vE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpoobathi
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

effect of full root partition on server

hi, I want to know that "What Happen if the root partition gets full on the server? I have HP-Unix 11.11 installed. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majidtahir
3 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

How to go about partition encryption on remote server?

Hi, im having an linux webserver located in another country and i have just SSH access. My aim is to protect (by encryption) /home partition on which are located website files and mysql database data. So i found "LUKS" SW which can encrypt partition, but the thing i dont understand is how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How can i monitor solaris server by using any monitoring tools

Hi forum We have nearly 240 servers inclding zones . How can i monitor server and its performance by using any monitoring tools. My indentions is to plot graphs based on server utilization interms of cpu and memory Is there any opensource tools for this. I saw collectd and it has agent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

CentOs server generating several alarms on partition /proc/

Greetings, I have been facing one issue here and I am not understanding what is causing. I am getting a lot of alarms complaining that the partition for example /proc/12345 , is full, but the partition does not existe on the server. Which is not supposed to happen, because /proc is not a real... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yagami_Sama
10 Replies
efi_alloc_and_init(3EXT)				    Extended Library Functions					  efi_alloc_and_init(3EXT)

NAME
efi_alloc_and_init, efi_alloc_and_read, efi_free, efi_write, efi_use_whole_disk - manipulate a disk's EFI Partition Table SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file... -lefi [ library ... ] #include <sys/vtoc.h> #include <sys/efi_partition.h> int efi_alloc_and_init(int fd, uint32_t nparts, dk_gpt_t **vtoc); int efi_alloc_and_read(int fd, dk_gpt_t **vtoc); void efi_free(dk_gpt_t *vtoc); int efi_write(int fd, dk_gpt_t *vtoc); int efi_use_whole_disk(int fd); DESCRIPTION
The efi_alloc_and_init() function initializes the dk_gpt_t structure specified by vtoc in preparation for a call to efi_write(). It calcu- lates and initializes the efi_version, efi_lbasize, efi_nparts, efi_first_u_lba, efi_last_lba, and efi_last_u_lba members of this sturcture. The caller can then set the efi_nparts member. The efi_alloc_and_read() function allocates memory and returns the partition table. The efi_free() function frees the memory allocated by efi_alloc_and_init() and efi_alloc_and_read(). The efi_write() function writes the EFI partition table. The efi_use_whole_disk() function takes any space that is not contained in the disk label and adds it to the last physically non-zero area before the reserved slice (from slice 0 to slice 6 or unallocated space). The fd argument refers to any slice on a raw disk, opened with O_NDELAY. See open(2). The nparts argument specifies the number of desired partitions. The vtoc argument is a dk_gpt_t structure that describes an EFI partition table and contains at least the following members: uint_t efi_version; /* set to EFI_VERSION_CURRENT */ uint_t efi_nparts; /* number of partitions in efi_parts */ uint_t efi_lbasize; /* size of block in bytes */ diskaddr_t efi_last_lba; /* last block on the disk */ diskaddr_t efi_first_u_lba; /* first block after labels */ diskaddr_t efi_last_u_lba; /* last block before backup labels */ struct dk_part efi_parts[]; /* array of partitions */ RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, efi_alloc_and_init() returns 0. Otherwise it returns VT_EIO if an I/O operation to the disk fails. Upon successful completion, efi_alloc_and_read() returns a positive integer indicating the slice index associated with the open file descriptor. Otherwise, it returns a negative integer to indicate one of the following: VT_EIO An I/O error occurred. VT_ERROR An unknown error occurred. VT_EINVAL An EFI label was not found. Upon successful completion, efi_write() returns 0. Otherwise, it returns a negative integer to indicate one of the following: VT_EIO An I/O error occurred. VT_ERROR An unknown error occurred. VT_EINVAL The label contains incorrect data. Upon successfully completion, efi_use_whole_disk() returns 0. Otherwise, it returns a negative integer to indicate one of the following: VT_EIO An I/O error occurred. VT_ERROR An unknown error occurred. VT_EINVAL The label contains incorrect data. VT_ENOSPC Space out of label was not found. USAGE
The EFI label is used on disks with more than 1^32-1 blocks. For compatibility reasons, the read_vtoc(3EXT) and write_vtoc() functions should be used on smaller disks. The application should attempt the read_vtoc() or write_vtoc() call, check for an error of VT_ENOTSUP, then call the analogous EFI function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fmthard(1M), format(1M), prtvtoc(1M), ioctl(2), open(2), libefi(3LIB), read_vtoc(3EXT), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.11 8 May 2008 efi_alloc_and_init(3EXT)