Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Checking if SErver is up
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking if SErver is up Post 74318 by jhansrod on Thursday 9th of June 2005 03:23:13 AM
Old 06-09-2005
I have used the ping -w option and this timeout works, however I would like to check if the server is responsive. To this I will use rsh.

Thx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Checking for availability of remote server

Hi. In my KSH script I'm running a command on a remote server. I want to know how I can test to see if the remote server is available (accessible) prior to running the command. Any ideas? My command looks like: `ssh $USER@$TARGET_SERVER_DNS ls -l $REMOTE_FOLDER ` This check should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dylanmilks
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for availability of remote server

Hi. In my KSH script I'm running a command on a remote server. I want to know how I can test to see if the remote server is available (accessible) prior to running the command. Any ideas? My command looks like: `ssh $USER@$TARGET_SERVER_DNS ls -l $REMOTE_FOLDER ` This check should be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dylanmilks
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Checking Server work load

Hey guys, I was task to look at a couple DNS servers for a co worker, Now they are running Solaris 2.6 on some Ultra 10 systems. How can I check the kind of load these systems are taking, I know that I can look at the network size and how many zones these servers are SOA of, but I looking in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aojmoj
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Checking server swap utilization

Hey guys which is accurate in checking the servers swap utilization is it swapinfo or memdetail?:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbn
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Checking a file on a remote windows server

Hi Everyone! This is what I need to do... I am deploying some directories over to a windows server 2000/3 box from my solaris10 box and I need to make sure the directories exist. The only form of connection I have to work with is SSH Currently, my script deploys the directories over... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking file whether existed in another server or not

Hi, i am in 272.22.22.32 server, and i want to check whether a file test.txt file exists in different server like 372.23.23.23 using shell script. can any one help me out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking file whether existed in another server or not

need a shell script in unix to check whether a file is existed in dir after connecting using ftp (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the file in remote server using SFTP

Hello, I would appreciate if any one can help me on this. The below script start running at 12:30AM. Every 5 min, i go and check the remote site. If i see filewatch.txt over there, then i need to call another shell script and load the data into database. If i don't see that file, then i have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Short Program for Checking Server date

Hi Guys, Good morning! I have a file which looks something like this: Command was launched from partition 0. ------------------------------------------------ Executing command in server server3 Thu Jan 12 11:10:39 EET 2012 ------------------------------------------------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking FTP server file exist or not

I am trying to delete old file in ftp server, after transferring new file successfully . but here i am checking both the file available or not using ls command. if both the file available means i need to get file_new and file_old file size as greater than zero. but i am getting only for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elango963
3 Replies
RDS-PING(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       RDS-PING(1)

NAME
rds-ping -- test reachability of remote node over RDS SYNOPSIS
rds-ping [-c count] [-i interval] [-I local_addr] remote_addr DESCRIPTION
rds-ping is used to test whether a remote node is reachable over RDS. Its interface is designed to operate pretty much the standard ping(8) utility, even though the way it works is pretty different. rds-ping opens several RDS sockets and sends packets to port 0 on the indicated host. This is a special port number to which no socket is bound; instead, the kernel processes incoming packets and responds to them. OPTIONS
The following options are available for use on the command line: -c count Causes rds-ping to exit after sending (and receiving) the specified number of packets. -I address By default, rds-ping will pick the local source address for the RDS socket based on routing information for the destination address (i.e. if packets to the given destination would be routed through interface ib0, then it will use the IP address of ib0 as source address). Using the -I option, you can override this choice. -i timeout By default, rds-ping will wait for one second between sending packets. Use this option to specified a different interval. The timeout value is given in seconds, and can be a floating point number. Optionally, append msec or usec to specify a timeout in milliseconds or microseconds, respectively. Specifying a timeout considerably smaller than the packet round-trip time will produce unexpected results. AUTHORS
rds-ping was written by Olaf Kirch <olaf.kirch@oracle.com>. SEE ALSO
rds(7), rds-info(1), rds-stress(1). BSD
Apr 22, 2008 BSD