Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl question - removing line from input file Post 74053 by reggiej on Tuesday 7th of June 2005 01:45:59 PM
Old 06-07-2005
zazzybob,

perl -pi -e '$_ = "" if ( $. == 1 );' large_file
I am trying to convert the above perl command line you reference to a script.
I am not sure what the -pi does for the command line. But what I have below works but I am wondering if it is efficent or should be done in another manner.

$ cat junk
#!/usr/bin/perl

open (infile, "+< /adsm/ACTIVITIES/CHANGES/TGA2_OBSOLETE_CLNUP/x ");
open (outfile,">/adsm/ACTIVITIES/CHANGES/TGA2_OBSOLETE_CLNUP/z");
while ( $line = <infile>) {
if ($. == 1) {
}
else {
print (outfile "$line");
}
} #end while
system ("cp /adsm/ACTIVITIES/CHANGES/TGA2_OBSOLETE_CLNUP/z /adsm/ACTIVITIES/CHANGES/TGA2_OBSOLETE_CLNUP/x");
close(infile);
close(outfile);

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing directory in an input file

Hi, How can I removed the directory in the input file? The script responsible for storing the report in an input file is this: while }" ] do echo "penetration|${penfilename}|${penfilenamedaterange}" >> ${OUT_DIR}/penrpt_emailfile.txt (( i=i+1 )) done For the penfilename: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrysSty
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question, parsing line by line

Hello, Im very new to PERL and as a project to work on developing my skills at PERL Im trying to parse poker hands. Ive tried many methods however I cant get the last step. $yourfile= 'FILENAME';#poker hands to parse open (FILE, "$yourfile") or die $!; @lines = <FILE>; for (@lines) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ek0
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed question (Removing a line of text)

I am working with bash on HP-UX server at school. As practice for scripting, I am trying to make a pretend server admin script that adds a user to the system, deletes a user from the system, and lists all users of the pretend system. I have accomplished this with a select loop. Adding users, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterscout1977
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to read line by line and input into another file

I have two files. Fileone contains text string one text string two text string three Filetwo contains Name: Address: Summary: Name: Address: Summary: Name: Address: Summary: I would like to use sed to read each line of file one and put it at the end of the summary line of file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dolacap
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script in perl for removing strings between a file

I have file that looks like: ATOM 2517 O VAL 160 8.337 12.679 -2.487 ATOM 2518 OXT VAL 160 7.646 12.461 -0.386 TER ATOM 2519 N VAL 161 -14.431 5.789 -25.371 ATOM 2520 H1 VAL 161 -15.336 5.698 -25.811 ATOM 2521 H2 VAL 161 -13.416 10.529 17.708 ATOM 2522 H3 VAL 161 -14.363 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanikasharma
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl - input line by line from text file

Hi, I've got a text file with hundreds of lines I need to upload to an API via curl, one by one. The text file is like: 2012-08-01 10:45,124 2012-08-02 10:45,132 2012-08-03 10:45,114 I want to get curl to go through the text file sending a post for each line. like: curl --request... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: emdeex
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk :quick question removing empty line.

How to write in awk to remove lines starting with "#" and then process the file: This is not working: cat file|awk '{if ($0 ~ /^#/) $0="";print NF>0}' When I just give cat file|awk '{if ($0 ~ /^#/) $0="";print }' it prints the blank lines . I don't wnat the blank lines along with the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
15 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Removing punctuations from file input or standard input

Just started learning Unix and received my first assignment recently. We haven't learned many commands and honestly, I'm stumped. I'd like to receive assistance/guidance/hints. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: How do I write a shell script that takes in a file or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozilla
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl removing line match with pattern in column

Hi, I have log like this: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justbow
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl removing line match with pattern in column

Hi, I have log like this: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justbow
1 Replies
UUENCODE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       UUENCODE(1)

NAME
uuencode, uudecode -- encode/decode a binary file SYNOPSIS
uuencode [-m] [inputfile] outputname uudecode [-m | -p] [encoded-file ...] DESCRIPTION
uuencode and uudecode are used to transmit binary files over transmission mediums that do not support other than simple ASCII data. The following options are available: -m Use base64 encoding. uuencode reads inputfile (or by default the standard input) and writes an encoded version to the standard output. The encoding uses only printing ASCII characters and includes the mode of the file and the operand outputname for use by uudecode. uudecode transforms uuencoded files (or by default, the standard input) into the original form. The resulting file is named outputname as recorded in the encoded file, and will have the mode of the original file except that setuid and execute bits are not retained; if the -p option is specified, the data will be written to the standard output instead. uudecode ignores any leading and trailing lines. EXIT STATUS
The uudecode and uuencode utilities exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example packages up a source tree, compresses it, uuencodes it and mails it to a user on another system. tar czf - src_tree | uuencode src_tree.tgz | mail user@example.com On the other system, if the user saves the mail to the file temp, the following example creates the file src_tree.tgz and extracts it to make a copy of the original tree. uudecode temp tar xzf src_tree.tgz SEE ALSO
gzip(1), mail(1), tar(1), uuencode(5) STANDARDS
The uudecode and uuencode utilities conform to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
The uudecode and uuencode utilities appeared in 4.0BSD. BUGS
The encoded form of the file is expanded by 35% (3 bytes become 4 plus control information). BSD
November 30, 2008 BSD