Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cannot connect to my ISP
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cannot connect to my ISP Post 7313 by rwb1959 on Monday 24th of September 2001 09:40:32 PM
Old 09-24-2001
ppp.conf is a configuration file. It is plain
text and would be edited with...

vi /etc/ppp/ppp.conf

...however, if you go the the /etc/ppp directory
(cd /etc/ppp) and look at what is in there
(ls -l), you should see several files. If you
were able to connect before your admin left,
you should still be able to (unless the admin
removed or changed somthing). You should see
some sort of "ppp-on" and "ppp-off" scripts
(or somthing like that). The "on" script normally
will set up the appropriate variable (PHONE,
USERID, PASSWORD, etc.) and execute the pppd
program. Obviously, the documentation is the best
source for this information and what I've given
you here may or may not be true for your system.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux for an internet server to an ISP

I just moved away from a T3 line back to a dial up I just wanted to know would a P200 with 64meg and a 4 gig hard drive be ok for a linux server for an additional 3 pcs all running win98. I will be dialing into an isp using a 56k v90 modem. Any support or help will be great. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: izrailov
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

schedule dial-out different ISP's

Hi, I'm running user ppp on FreeBSD. I have an internet account which gives me the oppertunity to login for free (say €25 a month :)) during specific hours. Outside these hours I pay the normal fee. I also have another ISP which gives me the oppertunity to log in for a reduced fee all times. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hansaplast
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Problems connecting Solaris 10 to network via ISP

I have just installed Solaris 10 (x86) on my PC, which is connected to an ISP via a Netgear DG834G firewall/modem router. I can't find the network. My router has the IP address 192.168.0.1 and my ISP assigned IP address is 214.159.X.Y I have edited various files based upon information I have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: christian_hicks
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting Bash to access ISP mail

I'm trying to create a small program to look at my isp and pull down the messages into individual text files. This is just a read only setup. I need to pull down the message and kill it on the server. I'm stuck here. I have experimented with a for string but it always fails. I was trying to use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mikey
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

2 ip from one subnet my isp

Hi. my english is not so good. sorry. i have some problem. My isp give me second ip from subnet. One network is working, but secong don't. fxp0 - my network dc0 - network isp (that working) re0 - network isp (don't working) i try use ng_one2many, but it's don't working ngctl mkpeer... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kil
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

Multiple isp physical connection

Hello all my friends see picture to understand my problem http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/8mf8ni4btu6r4qy1rp9_Networking-photo.png i want to know that how my company can connect multiple isp via switch and output from switch is directly connected to linux firewall. Any help Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rink
1 Replies

7. Proxy Server

ISP VPS, routing traffic

Hi guys I need to setup server/router in my firm. We got from our ISP dedicated server in their data center. It has a static IP and it servers as replacement for out DSL connection. I configured our internal server to be border gateway and to connects to data center. "Remote" admin installed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
0 Replies
PPPOECONF(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      PPPOECONF(8)

NAME
pppoeconf -- configures a PPPoE (ADSL) connection SYNOPSIS
pppoeconf [-nox] [iface] DESCRIPTION
The pppoeconf program is user-friendly dialog based setup tool for pppd (and pppoe if needed). It will look for existing ethernet cards and look for ADSL hardware connected to one of them. You can add an interface name iface to force pppoeconf to use it. Then it will get some login info and do some minor modifications to make working settings. Note that you can use ESC key to exit program when you wan. OPTIONS
-nox Force ncurses use. FILES
/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider is pppd options file for your dsl provider. /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets are described in pppd documentation. pppoeconf may add lines to theses files. /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/0clampmss and /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/0clampmss are used to clamp MSS if needed. /etc/network/interfaces is network interface file for your system. SEE ALSO
pppd(8), interfaces(5), pon(1) and pppoe(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was originally written by Eduard Bloch (blade@debian.org) and now maintained by Gregory Colpart (reg@evolix.fr) for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). This document is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. PPPOECONF(8)