Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: About the usage of knoppix
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users About the usage of knoppix Post 73023 by locustfurnace on Thursday 26th of May 2005 04:35:15 PM
Old 05-26-2005
After booting up with the KNOPPIX-Linux CD, you will want to make some new directorys to mount your RedHat-Linux filesystem under.

You should do something like this after you are booted up.

cd /
mkdir tmp
cd tmp/
mkdir rh-1
mkdir rh-home
mkdir rh-usr

Then you should mount the correct filesystems from RedHat to these newly created directorys.

For example, to mount your RedHat-Linux /usr directory to /tmp/rh-usr

mount /dev/hda2 /tmp/rh-usr

This is assuming that hda2 is your partition which contains the Redhat /usr directory.

To see your partition numbering scheme, just check the dmesg

dmesg |grep hda

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help running Knoppix

i need help running Knoppix on my comp (which is windows). I have the cd with the iso on it and it works on my moms computer but not mine :( this is what it says to do How do I run KNOPPIX? In order to start the CD, first adjust the boot list in the BIOS Setup of your computer to boot from CD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smokinchili21
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

KNOPPIX CD not Booting

I have downloaded KNOPIIX and burned it on a CD, it niether boots from CD nor could I open the file, it seems the extension is .iso, would you mind sending me your comment,please. Thank you very much (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir
2 Replies

3. Debian

knoppix version?

hi all again!! just a stupide question: how do you find the version of a knoppix? like the /etc/mandrake-release on mdk machines?? I have no idea of where to search.. Jason (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
5 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Knoppix and an old Dell

Sorry if this post is in the wrong location. I'm trying to pull some files off of an old Dell box. I've not been able to get it to boot off of the HD, so I tried to use Knoppix. At boot time; I get the following error: Loading spec packet failed, trying to wing it isolinux 2.04: failed to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
3 Replies

5. Ubuntu

How can I get Knoppix on HDD

Umm How can I get the Knoppix can be booted off my hard drive instead of the CD. I dont like using the CD. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade11
4 Replies

6. SuSE

knoppix

Hi, I want to learn linux but I don't want to install on my hard drive. I came to know about knoppix that could give me the answer. But If I download the same (approx 700 MB) from free download site and copy it to CD, Will it work ? please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Knoppix

Hello All, I have a Knoppix CD. I am able to boot Knoppix(Linux) from the CD. How do I save a document that I created using OpenOffice(Writer) to either my harddrive on Windows or to a USB instead of the CD itself. I am new to Knoppix and am not sure of the GUI. I tried mounting the USB... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnilAnand
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

9. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Knoppix; What's the gist of it.

I have a couple of Rescue Disks I was experimenting with and someone suggested that I use Knoppix instead. I have the newest version of it and it seems more like an Emergency O.S than anything else. The only useful tool I can find on it is Gparted. Do you have to add Emergency Applications to it? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
5 Replies
MKDIR(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  MKDIR(2)

NAME
mkdir - create a directory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/types.h> int mkdir(const char *pathname, mode_t mode); DESCRIPTION
mkdir() attempts to create a directory named pathname. The argument mode specifies the permissions to use. It is modified by the process's umask in the usual way: the permissions of the created directory are (mode & ~umask & 0777). Other mode bits of the created directory depend on the operating system. For Linux, see below. The newly created directory will be owned by the effective user ID of the process. If the directory containing the file has the set-group- ID bit set, or if the file system is mounted with BSD group semantics (mount -o bsdgroups or, synonymously mount -o grpid), the new direc- tory will inherit the group ownership from its parent; otherwise it will be owned by the effective group ID of the process. If the parent directory has the set-group-ID bit set then so will the newly created directory. RETURN VALUE
mkdir() returns zero on success, or -1 if an error occurred (in which case, errno is set appropriately). ERRORS
EACCES The parent directory does not allow write permission to the process, or one of the directories in pathname did not allow search per- mission. (See also path_resolution(7).) EEXIST pathname already exists (not necessarily as a directory). This includes the case where pathname is a symbolic link, dangling or not. EFAULT pathname points outside your accessible address space. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving pathname. ENAMETOOLONG pathname was too long. ENOENT A directory component in pathname does not exist or is a dangling symbolic link. ENOMEM Insufficient kernel memory was available. ENOSPC The device containing pathname has no room for the new directory. ENOSPC The new directory cannot be created because the user's disk quota is exhausted. ENOTDIR A component used as a directory in pathname is not, in fact, a directory. EPERM The file system containing pathname does not support the creation of directories. EROFS pathname refers to a file on a read-only file system. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, BSD, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Under Linux apart from the permission bits, only the S_ISVTX mode bit is honored. That is, under Linux the created directory actually gets mode (mode & ~umask & 01777). See also stat(2). There are many infelicities in the protocol underlying NFS. Some of these affect mkdir(). SEE ALSO
mkdir(1), chmod(2), chown(2), mkdirat(2), mknod(2), mount(2), rmdir(2), stat(2), umask(2), unlink(2), path_resolution(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-05-13 MKDIR(2)