Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with echo for var, padded with spaces Post 73017 by videsh77 on Thursday 26th of May 2005 03:27:48 PM
Old 05-26-2005
Thanks it helps !!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo is suppressing multiple spaces.How to avoid it

I am reading a file and copying selected lines from the file into another using echo. For eg: while read line do if ((some logic to determine whether I need to copy the current line to another file)) then echo $line > tempfile fi done<srcfile The problem I have is the data in the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prathima
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store command in a Var problem

Hi! I strated to script since 1 month and I don't have much expirience but this thing here is strange I have a script where I want to store a svn command in a var to check it later so it's like this #!/bin/sh list=`ssh itadmin@192.168.1.200 "ls /home/svn"` # this stores the list of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem regarding Sed/Echo/Var Init

Greetings, I've visited this forums for a long time and normally got an right answer but this time my problem doesn't seem to go away. What I'm trying to do is the following: VAR="\n\nline1\nline2\nline3\nline4\nline5\nline6\nline7\n\n" (The count of newlines is varying!) If I echo this i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph1l
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp var for filename with spaces

Hello all, I am having difficulties writing an ftp script to retrieve a file via get using a variable name to pass the file name. I know the name of the file I am going to retrieve, this file name has embedded spaces and punctuation in the name itself. If I interactively use the get and I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with echo command in reading blank spaces in aix

Hi, I have a test.txt and would like to put in a different file but while putting in the other file, blank spaces are missing. $ indicates blank spaces filename: test.txt: USA$$$840$$$$ Desired output USA$$$840$$$$ Current output as per the following code. while read j; do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running var (with spaces) as command

I seem to be fighting bash's shell expansions.. I set this variable: CMD="export MVAR=\"1 2 3\"" if I try to run it, it is clear the shell is parsing along the spaces of the contents of MYVAR: > $CMD + export 'MYVAR="1' 2 '3"' + MYVAR='"1' -bash: export: `2': not a valid identifier... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbw
3 Replies

7. Solaris

SVM Problem Regarding /var

Hi Guys! I am facing Problem with SVM I mention the problem below: I have Sunfire V210 machine and the partitions are as follows: Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 0 - 6134 29.77GB (6135/0/0) 62429760 1 swap wu ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sensation
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing "echo-ed spaces"...

I have the following in a shell script myfilecount=`echo /dir1/dir2/file-sample* | wc -w` echo "Directory has $myfilecount files" The output looks like this: Directory has 540 files How can I remove the space between "has" and "540" so it looks more normal? Like this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

9. Ubuntu

problem with /var/mail directory

Hi, There is no "administrator" file in "/var/mail" directory........ can any one tell me what could be the reason for that?...and also how to resolve that??? Thanks, ~Kavi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavi.mogu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a value of a var stored in another variable?

I'm writing a shell script in AIX and using ksh. I have a scenario where I have a variable A which stores $B. so when i echo "$A" it prints $B But I wish to print value stored in var b ie. \a\dir\res\ I wish to store \a\dir\res\ in a third variable C. later I want to cd into that path :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
1 Replies
fsirand(1M)                                               System Administration Commands                                               fsirand(1M)

NAME
fsirand - install random inode generation numbers SYNOPSIS
fsirand [-p] special DESCRIPTION
fsirand installs random inode generation numbers on all the inodes on device special, and also installs a file system ID in the superblock. This helps increase the security of file systems exported by NFS. fsirand must be used only on an unmounted file system that has been checked with fsck(1M) The only exception is that it can be used on the root file system in single-user mode, if the system is immediately re-booted afterwards. OPTIONS
-p Print out the generation numbers for all the inodes, but do not change the generation numbers. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of fsirand when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.10 16 Sep 1996 fsirand(1M)