Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: forbid the error message
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting forbid the error message Post 72848 by ust on Wednesday 25th of May 2005 03:00:18 AM
Old 05-25-2005
forbid the error message

In my system , there is a script seems have a minor problem but I can't find it out , now everytime run the script , it will generate some error message to the system log , is it possible to forbid it generate the error to the system log or put all these message to /dev/null ? thx

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I forbid a user to go up his home directory

Hi everybody, How can I forbid a user to go up his home directory ? Thanks MarcoW (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarcoW
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script: forbid extension

Rather new to unix, so please don't beat me! I'm trying to get a list of files into a variable that I can use throughout the rest of the script. The challenge is that I need to exclude a certain extension from the list, and I'm having trouble with it. For example: item_a item_a.exe... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loriel
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghuber
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghuber
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting last error message

Question for unix programmers - what function I need to used to get the exact error message when the library failed to load? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tttttt
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error message

I am new to scripting. I am using the following script . BART.dat contains the string 'Y' . #!/bin/ksh cd /work/TCI/data_out file=`cat BART.dat` echo "$file" if ; then echo "true" fi When i am executing the above script i am getting the following error ./s.ksh: : not found ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

forbid file recovery

Hi there, When I want to make a file unrecoverable, I use the following command: foo:~$ shred -fuz filename The problem is that I deleted many files using: foo:~$ rm -f filename How can I make those files unrecoverable? Is there a command that shreds the disk free space? So that no file can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

8. Programming

How forbid use fork() in exec() program.

Hello World! I am writing code in C++ which have to launch another application X using exec(). I would like to set some limits on it using setrlimit etc... My problem is that i don't know how to forbid using fork() and strlimit by application X. How can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzi
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

@ character forbid to write in vi.

Hi ALL, I'm encountering this problem on HP Shell (tcsh) environment. Once I enter in vi to edit a file and add my sql script, like this: sqlplus user/pass @promo.sql(tu run my script) the @ character is not possible to write. I push on the key but is not written inside. Also in sqlplus... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cicalons
3 Replies
msgid(1M)                                                 System Administration Commands                                                 msgid(1M)

NAME
msgid - generate message IDs SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/msgid DESCRIPTION
The msgid utility generates message IDs. A message ID is a numeric identifier that, with a high probability, uniquely identifies a message. The probability of two distinct messages having the same ID is about one in a million. Specifically, the message ID is a hash signature on the message's unexpanded format string, generated by STRLOG_MAKE_MSGID() as defined in <sys/strlog.h>. syslogd(1M) is a simple filter that takes strings as input and produces those same strings, preceded by their message IDs, as output. Every message logged by syslogd(1M) includes the message ID. The message ID is intended to serve as a small, language-independent identifier. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the msgid command to generate a message ID The following example uses the msgid command to generate a message ID for the echo command. example# echo hello | msgid 205790 hello Example 2: Using the msgid command to generate a message catalog The following example uses the msgid command to enumerate all of the messages in the binary ufs, to generate a message catalog. example# strings /kernel/fs/ufs | msgid 137713 free: freeing free frag, dev:0x%lx, blk:%ld, cg:%d, ino:%lu, fs:%s 567420 ialloccg: block not in mapfs = %s 845546 alloc: %s: file system full ... ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
syslogd(1M), attributes(5), log(7d) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 1998 msgid(1M)