Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Installing GUI
Operating Systems BSD Installing GUI Post 72797 by jolok on Tuesday 24th of May 2005 09:03:40 AM
Old 05-24-2005
Welcome to FreeBSD; I hope your time using it will be as rewarding as mine has been.

Where to start? Well, I would suggest that extensive reading be your next step. You've already covered several topics, some related, some not.

X (I'm not sure if you have XFree86 or Xorg) is the windowing system, and usually installs with a very basic window manager, called twm, which is not at all eye candy, and not much fun to play with. You can start the X server by issuing 'startx' at the command prompt.

In order to build a GUI desktop environment, you will need to install a window manager and any apps that you wish to use on the desktop. KDE and Gnome are popular Open Source desktop environments, complete with all of the bells and whistles you may (or may not) be looking for. Many people, including myself, prefer a light-weight window manager, and a custom set of apps.
There are many, many window manager for you to chose from.

However, I would take some time to read this chapter of the handbook and get familiar with the ports collection; it'll save you alot of time in the long run, and is the easiest way to install and maintain software on a FreeBSD system. In the ports collection you will find more applications that you can shake a stick at, and they're organized in categories, ie window managers will be under /usr/ports/x11-wm

Once you have a window manager installed (I use blackbox), then you can create a file in your home dir called .xinitrc. This file will eventually include lines to start all of the applications you want to run when you do 'startx'; an
easy one-liner would be something like:

/usr/X11R6/bin/blackbox

Then, when you issue 'startx' at the command prompt, you will get a graphical session with the blackbox window manager.

To get X to start at boot time, and present you with a GUI login prompt, you'll need to configure your system to use xdm(1), which probably installed with X. Your best resources are the FreeBSD Handbook, the FAQ, and the FreeBSD mailing lists.

Good luck, and welcome, again, to the FreeBSD Community!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing GTK to develop Perl GUI's

Hi! What do I need to do to install GTK so I can use Perl GUI's in UNIX? I want to install it in my account. I am not a sys admin or anything. Thanks in advance, P. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmcg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If a is windows gui ( client), b is a unix gui ( Server for a) and c is a shell scrip

Hello all, 1) I want to have a GUI application that will call Unix shell scripts, 2) that GUI application should be able to reside on windows ( if possible) and then call Unix shell script either directly or through a server residing on unix. That is for example. If a is windows gui (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hchivukula
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gui?

Do you guys work with Python? I'm just learning now but GUI seems like a way cool program it is just really wierd... I have version 4.2. you can download it for free off the site... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blacidic
0 Replies

4. Linux

Installing Firefox and now ended up installing latest glibc

Hi all, I wanted to install the latest version of firefox 2 but it seems when I attempt to install it, it seems to be saying it is looking for c libraries version 2.3? I believe I currently have an older version of the c libraries. I am currently running Sun's JDS Linux 2003. My Mozilla web... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a GUI without GUI

I was wondering if it is possible to run a GUI window (say Firefox) without actually showing up the window on the desktop but still make it do its own regular stuff (like maybe do something via the command line). Sorry if its a dumb question. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Re Installing windows XP after installing KUBUNTU

Hi I have dual operating system i.e Win XP and KUBUNTU. Now my windows XP is corrupted and i want to reinstall Win XP. So i just want to know Shall i have to reinstall Linux also or i can only reinstall win xp without affecting linux installation. Thanks Sarbjit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Installing applications by avoiding GUI

Hi Experts, Now the problem is when I run the install script inside .app folder, it opens a GUI and asks for user input. I want to avoid these GUI. I want to provide input when i run install script e.g. $ ./install < inputfile I used to redirect input from input file to install script. But... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash.mahakode
4 Replies

8. Programming

Python gui or C++ gui or java gui?

python gui or c++ gui or java gui? and when to use etch one? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaja
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Gui

hi unix expert what does mean the blew sentences? and what does i do for this? ( i want to install dropbox in centos) "I was just experimenting with Flatpak apps, and Dropbox is available as a Flatpak. Installing that way was super easy -- installed gnome-software (which has Flatpak... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
2 Replies
STARTX(1)						      General Commands Manual							 STARTX(1)

NAME
startx - initialize an X session SYNOPSIS
startx [ [ client ] options ... ] [ -- [ server ] [ display ] options ... ] DESCRIPTION
The startx script is a front end to xinit(1) that provides a somewhat nicer user interface for running a single session of the X Window System. It is often run with no arguments. Arguments immediately following the startx command are used to start a client in the same manner as xinit(1). The special argument '--' marks the end of client arguments and the beginning of server options. It may be convenient to specify server options with startx to change on a per-session basis the default color depth, the server's notion of the number of dots-per-inch the display device presents, or take advantage of a different server layout, as permitted by the Xorg(1) server and specified in the xorg.conf(5) configuration. Some examples of specifying server arguments follow; consult the manual page for your X server to determine which arguments are legal. startx -- -depth 16 startx -- -dpi 100 startx -- -layout Multihead To determine the client to run, startx first looks for a file called .xinitrc in the user's home directory. If that is not found, it uses the file xinitrc in the xinit library directory. If command line client options are given, they override this behavior and revert to the xinit(1) behavior. To determine the server to run, startx first looks for a file called .xserverrc in the user's home directory. If that is not found, it uses the file xserverrc in the xinit library directory. If command line server options are given, they override this behavior and revert to the xinit(1) behavior. Users rarely need to provide a .xserverrc file. See the xinit(1) manual page for more details on the arguments. The system-wide xinitrc and xserverrc files are found in the /etc/X11/xinit directory. The .xinitrc is typically a shell script which starts many clients according to the user's preference. When this shell script exits, startx kills the server and performs any other session shutdown needed. Most of the clients started by .xinitrc should be run in the back- ground. The last client should run in the foreground; when it exits, the session will exit. People often choose a session manager, window manager, or xterm as the ''magic'' client. EXAMPLE
Below is a sample .xinitrc that starts several applications and leaves the window manager running as the ''last'' application. Assuming that the window manager has been configured properly, the user then chooses the ''Exit'' menu item to shut down X. xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources xsetroot -solid gray & xbiff -geometry -430+5 & oclock -geometry 75x75-0-0 & xload -geometry -80-0 & xterm -geometry +0+60 -ls & xterm -geometry +0-100 & xconsole -geometry -0+0 -fn 5x7 & exec twm ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DISPLAY This variable gets set to the name of the display to which clients should connect. Note that this gets set, not read. XAUTHORITY This variable, if not already defined, gets set to $(HOME)/.Xauthority. This is to prevent the X server, if not given the -auth argument, from automatically setting up insecure host-based authentication for the local host. See the Xserver(1) and Xsecurity(7) manual pages for more information on X client/server authentication. FILES
$(HOME)/.xinitrc Client to run. Typically a shell script which runs many programs in the background. $(HOME)/.xserverrc Server to run. The default is X. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc Client to run if the user has no .xinitrc file. /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc Server to run if the user has no .xserverrc file. SEE ALSO
xinit(1), X(7), Xserver(1), Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5) X Version 11 xinit 1.3.2 STARTX(1)