Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vi scripts on UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users vi scripts on UNIX Post 7200 by nemex on Thursday 20th of September 2001 12:52:18 PM
Old 09-20-2001
Thanks for that.

But i need to know the meaning to the commands within this script.

while true =
tput =
CN =
MESS =
cut =
-v =

etc...

is there some place ( links when i can go through all these things )
and start to understand them myself instead of always asking someone

Thanks in advance
Marcus.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Scripts

I need to find a place or places on the Internet where I can find UNIX scripts to view and to modify to make life easy on the UNIX environment. Shell scripts to be used, ksh, sh, csh. Can someone help me on this. Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix scripts

Hi all Can sombody tell me how can i run a script as a regular user and then change in the middle of the script to root,perform a task that needs root permisions and get back to the regular user. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelalouf
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Porting of Windows written unix scripts to unix platform

Can anybody help me in finding out a solution for the problem below? When we write .unix or .sh files in windows OS and port them to Unix platforms there is a character ^M inserted at the end of each line of the script file. During ftp porting I set the transfer mode as ASCII for the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamilselvi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX scripts for router

Hi, I want to write a script in unix for my routers which will collect the output to a file.. how do i do that? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasandhu
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Scripts

Hi, I have to write 2 unix scripts: 1. Check whether the databases are up or down which are on different servers. 2. Check the file system space on different Unix servers. Please share your model scripts here. I have to submit this ASAP. Appreciate your reply...... Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Scripts

Hi, I have to write 2 unix scripts: 1. Check whether the databases are up or down which are on different servers. 2. Check the file system space on different Unix servers. Please share your model scripts here. I have to submit this ASAP. Appreciate your reply...... Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix programming scripts.

How can I replace "?" with the appropriate information. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejuste
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix/ Shell scripts

Hi, I need to develop a function incrementor that increments a given number that is passed as an argument (this should use eval). so, am not able to get much info on eval by googling (perticularly on incrementing). please if any one can help me out. thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: geervani
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripts

hi everyone.Can anyone tell what books to study for unix shell scripting.ive planned to learn unix scripting but i dont kno what kind of books to refer so do help me..Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madanmeer
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX commands and scripts

Hi guys, Hoping someone can help with the below - involves basic commands and some scripting. Thanks so much in advance for your amazing time and help. 3. The file /etc/profile contains the default initialization options for your shell. Produce a unique list of all variables with uppercase... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edujs7
1 Replies
clear(1)						      General Commands Manual							  clear(1)

NAME
clear - clear the terminal screen SYNOPSIS
clear [-Ttype] [-V] [-x] DESCRIPTION
clear clears your screen if this is possible, including its scrollback buffer (if the extended "E3" capability is defined). clear looks in the environment for the terminal type given by the environment variable TERM, and then in the terminfo database to determine how to clear the screen. clear writes to the standard output. You can redirect the standard output to a file (which prevents clear from actually clearing the screen), and later cat the file to the screen, clearing it at that point. OPTIONS
-T type indicates the type of terminal. Normally this option is unnecessary, because the default is taken from the environment variable TERM. If -T is specified, then the shell variables LINES and COLUMNS will also be ignored. -V reports the version of ncurses which was used in this program, and exits. The options are as follows: -x do not attempt to clear the terminal's scrollback buffer using the extended "E3" capability. HISTORY
A clear command appeared in 2.79BSD dated February 24, 1979. Later that was provided in Unix 8th edition (1985). AT&T adapted a different BSD program (tset) to make a new command (tput), and used this to replace the clear command with a shell script which calls tput clear, e.g., /usr/bin/tput ${1:+-T$1} clear 2> /dev/null exit In 1989, when Keith Bostic revised the BSD tput command to make it similar to the AT&T tput, he added a shell script for the clear command: exec tput clear The remainder of the script in each case is a copyright notice. The ncurses clear command began in 1995 by adapting the original BSD clear command (with terminfo, of course). The E3 extension came later: o In June 1999, xterm provided an extension to the standard control sequence for clearing the screen. Rather than clearing just the vis- ible part of the screen using printf '33[2J' one could clear the scrollback using printf '33[3J' This is documented in XTerm Control Sequences as a feature originating with xterm. o A few other terminal developers adopted the feature, e.g., PuTTY in 2006. o In April 2011, a Red Hat developer submitted a patch to the Linux kernel, modifying its console driver to do the same thing. The Linux change, part of the 3.0 release, did not mention xterm, although it was cited in the Red Hat bug report (#683733) which led to the change. o Again, a few other terminal developers adopted the feature. But the next relevant step was a change to the clear program in 2013 to incorporate this extension. o In 2013, the E3 extension was overlooked in tput with the "clear" parameter. That was addressed in 2016 by reorganizing tput to share its logic with clear and tset. PORTABILITY
Neither IEEE Std 1003.1/The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7 (POSIX.1-2008) nor X/Open Curses Issue 7 documents tset or reset. The latter documents tput, which could be used to replace this utility either via a shell script or by an alias (such as a symbolic link) to run tput as clear. SEE ALSO
tput(1), terminfo(5) This describes ncurses version 6.1 (patch 20180127). clear(1)