Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need to know path of dir currently in. Post 71687 by Quintab on Friday 13th of May 2005 11:09:53 AM
Old 05-13-2005
You can also assign the current directory to an environment variable and use it as a shorthand to move around...

Use the 'accent grave' marks (usually on top row of keyboard, next to 1) to assign the output of the command between them to a variable.
example:
Code:
[/home/user/dir] $ a=`pwd`
[/home/user/dir] $ cd /home/user/otherdir
[/home/user/otherdir] $ echo $a
/home/usr/dir
[/home/usr/otherdir] $ cd $a
[/home/usr/dir] $

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding current working dir path

Hi Folks, In a Unix (ksh) script, is there a way to determine the current working directory path of another logged-in user? Of course, I can use "pwd" to find my own path. But, how do I find it for another active user? Thanks for any input you can provide. LY (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: liteyear18
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

full path of a file situated either in parent's dir. or parent's parent dir. so on...

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I define a particular dir in PATH variable and then unset that dir

How do I define a particular dir in front of PATH variable and then run some job and then at the end of job SET the PATH variable to original? in a script, WILL something like this work: ORIG_PATH=$PATH export PATH=/dir1/dir2:$PATH RUN SOME JOBS ..... unset PATH EXPORT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp how to deal with space in path to dir?

OK I am trying to use something similar to this: #!/bin/sh echo "OK, starting now..." sftp -b /dev/fd/0 user@remotehost <<EOF cd pub ascii put filename.txt bye EOF only difference is the dir I need to cd to has a space in it like this /Import/Server/Prospect File ,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Representing dir path for copy through env variable

Hello , i am on linux, and im trying to figure out why my cp command cant copy one file. I am trying to use variable in which i stored path to location where is file i wish to copy. $ echo $ORA_ALERT_LOG /u01/app/oracle/diag/rdbms/ring11/ring11/trace $ $ $ pwd /home/oracle $ cp -p... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

DOS Dir - listing of full path and timestamp

Hi, (Apologies, I'm sure I'm not the first person to raise this question but so far in my searches haven't found a good answer). I would like to output a listing per line of filename (including full path) and 'last updated' timestamp. e.g: Z:\dir1\file1.txt 01/02/2010 10:43... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GM_AIX
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the scripts full dir path

lyang0@lyang0-OptiPlex-755:~$ ./test.sh . lyang0@lyang0-OptiPlex-755:~$ cat test.sh #!/bin/bash echo `dirname $0` lyang0@lyang0-OptiPlex-755:~$ pwd /home/lyang0 it doesn't get "/home/lyang0" and only when run /home/lyang0/test.sh it will get, but how can I do, then it can get the real... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
8 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Check dir for overly path+filename and list in txt

Well since Windows always laments over some of my files having a too long "path+filename" and it gets in the way of copying complete directory structures I would love to have a DOS Script that helps me with finding those. I already tried DCSoft Long Filename Finder but that is neither DOS based... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wild card for dir path

I have dir structure like this : /opt/oracle/product/abc/sqlplus/admin/ /opt/oracle/product/def/sqlplus/admin /opt/oracle/product/ghi/sqlplus/admin I am trying to use wildcard ( for dirs abc,def,ghi) ..something like this : cp xyz.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Can I mount partition at given dir path

Hi, In Linux, I had modified fstab file which used to mount ~/Music, ~/Pictures, etc with disk partitions containing corresponding content or binding directory located at other partition. But I am wondering can I do same in El-Capitan as well? No linking! /media/L-Store/Desktop/Documents ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
0 Replies
FS_QUOTA(1)						       AFS Command Reference						       FS_QUOTA(1)

NAME
fs_quota - Displays the quota used in the volume containing a directory or file SYNOPSIS
fs quota [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs q [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs quota command displays the percent of quota consumed in the volume that contains each specified directory or file. To display more detailed information about the volume and the partition it resides on, use the fs examine and fs listquota commands. To set volume quota, use the fs setquota or fs setvol command. CAUTIONS
Currently, the maximum size of a volume is 2 terabytes (2^31 bytes). OPTIONS
-path <dir/file path> Names each file or directory for which to display the quota consumed in its parent volume. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output reports the percent of volume quota used, in the following format: <percent>% of quota used. EXAMPLES
The following command lists the percent quota used of the volume housing the current working directory: % fs quota 17% of quota used. The following command lists the percent quota used of both the volume housing the current working directory's parent directory and the volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com/usr/smith: % fs quota -path .. /afs/abc.com/usr/smith 43% of quota used. 92% of quota used. PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have the "r" (read) permission on the ACL of the root directory of the volume that houses the file or directory named by the -path argument, and "l" (list) permission on the ACL of each directory that precedes it in the pathname. SEE ALSO
fs_examine(1), fs_listquota(1), fs_setquota(1), fs_setvol(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_QUOTA(1)