Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming About Native POSIX Thread Library (NPTL) Post 71647 by alan.zhao on Friday 13th of May 2005 04:46:36 AM
Old 05-13-2005
About Native POSIX Thread Library (NPTL)

Is there anybody has documents about NPTL
I wanna study about it , but can't find the documents....
anyone help appreciate
Smilie Smilie Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Multi threading using posix thread library

hi all, can anyone tell me some good site for the mutithreading tutorials, its application, and some code examples. -sushil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shushilmore
2 Replies

2. Programming

Posix Thread Programming

Hello, i have 2 questions: 1. Can I get the current memory usage of a thread? 2. Can I use a member-function as (void*)(*)(void*) method to create a new thread with "pthread_create(...)"?? I would be happy about any suggestion. Regards, Rolf (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkasel
2 Replies

3. Programming

Can't dlopen() a library containing Thread Local Storage

Hi, I have a small test c program which tries to dlopen a shared library(libjvm.sl). But i get error as "Can't dlopen() a library containing Thread Local Storage" My program is as below when i run the program i get error any pointers why the error?? I am using hp-ux . The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
1 Replies

4. Programming

POSIX Thread - Memory leak

Hi all! I am implementing an http server in c++ using the posix thread, but i am having a memory leak and i cannot find the reason. I have already commented out the section that initializes the threads and i found out, the problem is when i initialize/run the threads. In the threads i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laurovalente
1 Replies

5. Programming

POSIX - Hot to check if detached thread is still active

Hello, I have created program that run threads one by one, maximum 100. Each thread will process one block of data, and once it`s finished, new thread is created with new block of data....etc I have array of values to control status of each thread, like this: array_thread_status=1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: orangem
11 Replies

6. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

POSIX thread runs out of memory

i am creating threads in my program using the POSIX interface. when the thread starts executing i run out of memory and get a core dump. i have tried to increase the threads stack size using pthread_attr_setstacksize, but of no use since i guess the dynamic memory is allocated on the heap and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aniketkadu2002
1 Replies

8. Programming

POSIX Thread Help

I want to create a program that creates 2 child process, and each of them creates 2 threads, and each thread prints its thread id. I0ve allread done that the outuput isn't the outuput i want. When a run the following comand "$./a.out | sort -u | wc -l" I have the folowing output 2 $: It should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
3 Replies
NPTL(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   NPTL(7)

NAME
nptl - Native POSIX Threads Library DESCRIPTION
NPTL (Native POSIX Threads Library) is the GNU C library POSIX threads implementation that is used on modern Linux systems. NPTL and signals NPTL makes internal use of the first two real-time signals (signal numbers 32 and 33). One of these signals is used to support thread can- cellation and POSIX timers (see timer_create(2)); the other is used as part of a mechanism that ensures all threads in a process always have the same UIDs and GIDs, as required by POSIX. These signals cannot be used in applications. To prevent accidental use of these signals in applications, which might interfere with the operation of the NPTL implementation, various glibc library functions and system call wrapper functions attempt to hide these signals from applications, as follows: * SIGRTMIN is defined with the value 34 (rather than 32). * The sigwaitinfo(2), sigtimedwait(2), and sigwait(3) interfaces silently ignore requests to wait for these two signals if they are speci- fied in the signal set argument of these calls. * The sigprocmask(2) and pthread_sigmask(3) interfaces silently ignore attempts to block these two signals. * The sigaction(2), pthread_kill(3), and pthread_sigqueue(3) interfaces fail with the error EINVAL (indicating an invalid signal number) if these signals are specified. * sigfillset(3) does not include these two signals when it creates a full signal set. NPTL and process credential changes At the Linux kernel level, credentials (user and group IDs) are a per-thread attribute. However, POSIX requires that all of the POSIX threads in a process have the same credentials. To accommodate this requirement, the NPTL implementation wraps all of the system calls that change process credentials with functions that, in addition to invoking the underlying system call, arrange for all other threads in the process to also change their credentials. The implementation of each of these system calls involves the use of a real-time signal that is sent (using tgkill(2)) to each of the other threads that must change its credentials. Before sending these signals, the thread that is changing credentials saves the new creden- tial(s) and records the system call being employed in a global buffer. A signal handler in the receiving thread(s) fetches this informa- tion and then uses the same system call to change its credentials. Wrapper functions employing this technique are provided for setgid(2), setuid(2), setegid(2), seteuid(2), setregid(2), setreuid(2), setres- gid(2), setresuid(2), and setgroups(2). CONFORMING TO
For details of the conformance of NPTL to the POSIX standard, see pthreads(7). NOTES
POSIX says that any thread in any process with access to the memory containing a process-shared (PTHREAD_PROCESS_SHARED) mutex can operate on that mutex. However, on 64-bit x86 systems, the mutex definition for x86-64 is incompatible with the mutex definition for i386, meaning that 32-bit and 64-bit binaries can't share mutexes on x86-64 systems. SEE ALSO
credentials(7), pthreads(7), signal(7), standards(7) Linux 2015-08-08 NPTL(7)