Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting mp3
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting mp3 Post 71471 by penguin-friend on Wednesday 11th of May 2005 11:18:49 AM
Old 05-11-2005
Hammer & Screwdriver Sorting mp3

Hi all...

Here's my question:
-> considering i've got thousands of mp3s', named like "Artist name - Track Name", how could i write a shell (ksh, or bash my favorite, not knowinf enough any other language) that would create a directory (if not existing already) with the Artist's name, and move the corresponding files in it?
i've gave it a try with awk, but i can't get by the spaces in artists's name/track name...
And yes, another thing as soon as there are more than 2 songs of a same artist, create the directory..

Any suggestions would help!! A complet script would be ok, but help to build my one will be fine too!

Thanx all..

Jason

Last edited by penguin-friend; 05-11-2005 at 12:27 PM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

MP3 driver for Unix

I need to play mp3 sound files on unix platform. Is there any mp3 drivers available for unix (rue unix-64 and unixware 7.0)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parbende
3 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

osx mp3 player help

Hey UNIX Saviors, I am not very familiar with unix commands so I need some detailed help please. I have a RCA Lyra MP3 player that is supposed to work as a drag and drop external drive when transferring my MP3's. In OSX, the problem is that when I delete the MP3 from the mounted drive it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eideas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mp3 codec

I just need a mp3 codec that will decode mp3s so I can play them with my media player (probably going to be using XMMS) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening an mp3 with a different application

I would like to know how to open an mp3 with an application other than it's default app. For instance, instead of opening with iTunes, I would like it to open with quicktime. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emperorfabulous
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch MP3 transcoding.

Hello everyone, I've made a script and I want to share and get new ideas for improving it. So far, the script 1. Searches a directory tree for MP3 files; 2. Check their bitrates; 3. Change any bitrate higher than 128 kbps to VBR 4 (It ignores files with a bitrate lower or equal to 128, as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lvxferre
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file is mp3

Hello, I am trying to check if a file is an mp3. file -b file_path g ives me AUDIO for many MP3 but there are many working MP3 files that return something else. How can I get better result? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I'm trying to remove all mp3's in subdirectories

My company has a policy that employees can't keep music on our servers so im looking for a line or script that I can run as part of a cron job that will remove all mp3's in the users home directories. Does anyone have any idea how I might accomplish this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
3 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)