Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirection or piping error message Post 71393 by Perderabo on Tuesday 10th of May 2005 03:04:17 PM
Old 05-10-2005
The second error seems to be related to something called "progress" link.

The first error is related to the old bourne shell test syntax. With code like:
if [ ${rejection} = yes ]
if the variable "rejection" is not set, the shell will see:
if [ = yes ]
so you need to use:
if [ "${rejection}" = yes ]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

error piping nohup to /dev/null

Hi, I have a script as follows: #!/bin/sh nohup ./my_program >& /dev/null & However, i get a "Generated or received a file descriptor number that is not valid" whenever I run it. running the command up in prompt is ok though. if i change the first line to #!/bin/csh i get a then:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mochi
4 Replies

2. Programming

Piping and redirection implementation

To implement the facility of piping and redirection I used the two commands dup, dup2, and strtok for tokenizing the command. But when I run the command ls|more it is not running fine as I have developed it using the dup2 command. the more command needs the whole buffer at once. Please help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
7 Replies

3. Programming

Java with Unix (Redirection + Piping)

Hi, To explain this question I will have to go into a bit of detail. I hope you don't mind. currently I have a log handler (an already compiled c++ version) and what it does is makes a log file and writes all the unix output (echo, etc) of a script to that log file. To me the log_handler is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluke_perf
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error redirection

i am using 2> to redirect all the standard errors that i get in my bash script.. this command needs to be given in all the statements for which the errors are to redirected.. is there a command that will catch all the errors in all the shell commands that are present inside a script .? pls help.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed error : Syntax error: redirection unexpected

My script is throwing the error 'Syntax error: redirection unexpected' My line of code.. cat nsstatustest.html | sed s/<tr><td align="left">/<tr><td align="left" bgcolor="#000000"><font color="white">/ > ztmp.Ps23zp2s.2-Fpps3-wmmm0dss3 HTML tags are getting in the way but they're needed to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
3 Replies

6. Programming

Creating 3 process and piping a message

sorry im very new to this but i am supposed to create 3 processes A,B, and C and have a direct link from a to b, b to c, and c to a. here is my code. It does work, however if you look at what I bolded as long as my final read is p it seems to always work, regardless of the bolded section. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: p00ndawg
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

output and error redirection

hi :) if condition >&- 2>&- Can anybody explain the redirection in above command Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpriyank
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with redirection in awk

I'm trying to find average of values in 2nd column in some files. Filenames have following pattern eg: tau_2.54_even_v1.xls tau_2.54_odd_v1.xls tau_1.60_v1.xls tau_800_v1.xls #!/bin/bash for file in pmb_mpi tau xhpl mpi_tile_io fftw ; do for f in "2.54" "1.60" "800" ;do if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection error

Hi i am facing a very strange problem suppose the parameters which i passed to the script is -o 140 then my code is as follows echo $* | awk '{ for ( i=0;i<=NF;i++){if ($i= -o) { print ${i+1} } } ' | read abc echo $abc abc=`echo $* | awk '{ for ( i=0;i<=NF;i++){if ($i= -o) { print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error piping to bc on command line - works when assigned to var

I have a script which outputs some timing data a line at a time. There are approx. 10 lines echoed, each line looks something like this: 0.741 http://checkip.dyndns.org 94.170.119.226Since I needed to add all the values in the first column, I piped the output to grep, matching and printing the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
7 Replies