Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is it possible to put the whole Linux OS on DVD and work with it? Post 71312 by havepity on Tuesday 10th of May 2005 02:36:06 AM
Old 05-10-2005
Hi,

There are many flavors of linux around. I don't know about the ones like red hat (or fedora), but if you do a search in yahoo for "knoppix" you will be able to find something that will help you I hope.

Knoppix comes in different flavors too, but generally speaking, its "linux on a cd".....i guess you could migrate it over to dvd if you really insist??

You boot off the knoppix cd like you were booting off a windows cd, and it does everything on the fly - hint more ram helps though. You can read from the hdd, not a problem, fat16/32 or ntfs, linux, but depending on the flavor of knoppix i don't believe some of them will allow you to write to ntfs and if "those" ones do, then there is a disclaimer sayiing they're not responsible for corrupting your disk.

Hope that helps.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Need Linux GUI based DVD burner

Hi, Need a linux gui based DVD burner. I am supposed to backup 10GB every day and so need an application, where if i drag and drop 10 gb of parent folder. then it should prompt for next cd, once 4.7gb of DVD is burnt.is there any way or any script that i can convert to GUI. Thanks in advance ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
2 Replies

2. Linux

How to customize installation DVD/CD of Linux ?

Hi, I have one software which I can install on linux. I want to put that on installation CD of linux. So whenever I will install Linux it will automatically install websense. How can I do that ? Thanks Neelesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neel.gurjar
1 Replies

3. Linux

Oracle Linux DVD that I install from wont mount

Hi, I am trying to mount my Oracle Linux 6-2 bootable disk that I installed from in order to manually copy off the packages directory onto the server ( to create a local YUM repository ) I have checked the DVD in my windows laptop and can see the packages folder ( so I know the DVD is iso9660... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script work on Linux but not work in sunos.

My script work on Linux but not work in sun os. my script. logFiles="sentLog1.log sentLog2.log" intial_time="0 0" logLocation="/usr/local/tomcat/logs/" sleepTime=600 failMessage=":: $(tput bold)Log not update$(tput rmso) = " successMessage="OK" arr=($logFiles)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
7 Replies
NTFSLABEL(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      NTFSLABEL(8)

NAME
ntfslabel - display/change the label on an ntfs file system SYNOPSIS
ntfslabel [options] device [new-label] DESCRIPTION
ntfslabel will display or change the file system label on the ntfs file system located on device. If the optional argument new-label is not present, ntfslabel will simply display the current file system label. If the optional argument new-label is present, then ntfslabel will set the file system label to be new-label. NTFS file system labels can be at most 128 Unicode characters long; if new-label is longer than 128 Unicode characters, ntfslabel will truncate it and print a warning message. It is also possible to set the file system label using the -L option of mkntfs(8) during creation of the file system. OPTIONS
Below is a summary of all the options that ntfslabel accepts. Nearly all options have two equivalent names. The short name is preceded by - and the long name is preceded by --. Any single letter options, that don't take an argument, can be combined into a single command, e.g. -fv is equivalent to -f -v. Long named options can be abbreviated to any unique prefix of their name. -f, --force This will override some sensible defaults, such as not working with a mounted volume. Use this option with caution. -h, --help Show a list of options with a brief description of each one. -n, --no-action Don't actually write to disk. -q, --quiet Reduce the amount of output to a minimum. -v, --verbose Increase the amount of output that ntfslabel prints. -V, --version Show the version number, copyright and license for ntfslabel. BUGS
There are no known problems with ntfslabel. If you find a bug please send an email describing the problem to the development team: linux-ntfs-dev@lists.sourceforge.net AUTHORS
ntfslabel was written by Matthew J. Fanto, with contributions from Anton Altaparmakov and Richard Russon. AVAILABILITY
ntfslabel is part of the ntfsprogs package and is available from: http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/19/37 The manual pages are available online at: http://man.linux-ntfs.org/ SEE ALSO
mkntfs(8), ntfsprogs(8) ntfsprogs 1.13.1 November 2005 NTFSLABEL(8)