Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trivial Unix Architecture question Post 70941 by tmarikle on Thursday 5th of May 2005 02:33:32 PM
Old 05-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelam_Magnus
The only feasible way I have heard is thru internet-facing boxes which run Xwindows and use web access...via DNS attacks or overflow attacks.
UNIX systems are not necessarily imune, they just aren't exploited like Windows systems. Set UID as well as buffer overrun vulnerabilities have been identified on UNIX systems from time to time for all sorts of applications including Oracle 9i, which was touted as unbreakable/unhackable. Who remembers the Morris worm that exploited sendmail and crahsed countless systems accross the net more than a decade ago? This attack was the first one that caught the world's attention due to its substantial impact. CERT has advised that yet another vulnerability exists in sendmail (albeit through unauthorized distrobutions) can be compromised even through a firewall.

Thomas

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

trivial awk question

i posted a reply the other day and needed an answer to this question while i was clarifyiing a few matter.. "how to compare to date variable in string format without having to compare word for word".. my reply was to try to use awk to compare the strings.. I wasn't quite sure if i remembered how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Transfer that is not so trivial I guess

I have three computers A, B and C. To login to B and C I should use A because it has a SSH key. I don't have any other way of accessing these two computers. Now, if I need to transfer a file between B and C, I am unable to find a way that would work... because I don't know how to authenticate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Legend986
1 Replies

3. Programming

A trivial XOR doubt in a program

Hi, I am trying to reverse a string using the following program utilizing the Exclusive OR bit operation: int main() { char str = "Quraish"; char *p = str, temp; char *q = str + strlen(str) - 1; while ( p != q ) { if (*p != *q) { *p ^= *q; *q ^= *p; *p ^= *q;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX box architecture

Hi Gurus, I am new to UNIX environment. We have our DataStage tool installed on UNIX box.We have Dev,test and Prod environments.The architecrue is as given below. Now my problem is I am not able to know what is meant by Physical name,Logical name,Cluster etc. also we need to do failover in case a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratyusha
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in this trivial awk code

Hi, What is the difference in the following two awk one-liners? awk -F, '{s++} END {if (s == 1 && $4 > "09:10:00") {print $2, $4}}' f1 awk -F, '{s++} s == 1 && $4 > "09:10:00" {print $2, $4}' f1 Even though, all the 2nd column values have duplicate records, the first code does not give any... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

6. Programming

Trivial doubt about C function pointer

Hi, In the below C code, #include <stdio.h> void print() { printf("Hello\n"); } int main() { void (*f)() = (void (*)()) print; f(); (*f)(); } I wonder, how the syntaxes "f()" and "(*f)()" are treated as same without any error? Is this an improvement or ANSI/ISO... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A question about Unix Architecture.

I want to know the memory capacity and types of memories, processor and more... What kind of aplications this OS attends? Archicture/system classification (Hybrid, monolithic, multitasking, micro-kernel, layered, Another..? Explain it to me... I really need to understand and know that. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlissonManson
3 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Forum Trivial Pursuit - New Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia for UNIX.com

I have added a new experimental "Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia - True or False" section in the discussions, currently under the tags box. In the future, I plan to Expand this feature to add more trivia categories from math, science and technology. Keep track of correct and... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
20 Replies
PMDASENDMAIL(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   PMDASENDMAIL(1)

NAME
pmdasendmail - sendmail performance metrics domain agent (PMDA) SYNOPSIS
$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/sendmail/pmdasendmail [-d domain] [-l logfile] [-U username] DESCRIPTION
pmdasendmail is a sendmail Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports mail traffic statistics as collected by sendmail(1). Before the sendmail PMDA can export any metrics, sendmail(1) must have statistics collection enabled. This involves checking the name of the statistics file, as given by the OS or O StatusFile control lines in /etc/sendmail.cf, and then creating this file if it does not already exist. Removing the file will terminate statistics collection by sendmail(1) and hence the sendmail PMDA. A brief description of the pmdasendmail command line options follows: -d It is absolutely crucial that the performance metrics domain number specified here is unique and consistent. That is, domain should be different for every PMDA on the one host, and the same domain number should be used for the same PMDA on all hosts. -l Location of the log file. By default, a log file named sendmail.log is written in the current directory of pmcd(1) when pmdasendmail is started, i.e. $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd. If the log file cannot be created or is not writable, output is written to the standard error instead. -U User account under which to run the agent. The default is the unprivileged "pcp" account in current versions of PCP, but in older versions the superuser account ("root") was used by default. There are no communication options, as the Install script ensures the sendmail PMDA will be connected to PMCD by a pipe. INSTALLATION
If you want access to the names, help text and values for the sendmail performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/sendmail # ./Install If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/sendmail # ./Remove pmdasendmail is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. FILES
$PCP_PMCDCONF_PATH command line options used to launch pmdasendmail $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/sendmail/help default help text file for the sendmail metrics $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/sendmail/Install installation script for the pmdasendmail agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/sendmail/Remove undo installation script for the pmdasendmail agent $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/sendmail.log default log file for error messages and other information from pmdasendmail /etc/sendmail.cf sendmail configuration file to identify the name of the statistics file PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
pmcd(1) and sendmail(1). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMDASENDMAIL(1)