Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Service + vsftpd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Service + vsftpd Post 70905 by vino on Thursday 5th of May 2005 06:38:35 AM
Old 05-05-2005
If you do a whereis service, the reply comes

service: /sbin/service

Now you can go about the service command 2 ways:
1. At the prompt you can give
/sbin/service httpd start
for starting the httpd service.

else

2. /sbin should be present in your PATH. Add that to your .bashrc and next time you login , you can just say service httpd start.

Try your vsftpd command using either of the above.

Vino

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VSFTPD

Hi, I am using VSFTPD. I have instructed it to send all logging informartion to /var/log/messages. I would like it to record the names of users who have failed loggin attempts. I have read up on it but have not found out how to do this. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

vsftpd service failed to start

hi, i am using RHEL 5 and i am not able to on the vsftp i have tried to on the vsftp service using command service vsftpd start Starting vsftpd for vsftpd: i am posting the content of my /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd file # description: The vsftpd FTP... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u.n.i.x
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

VSFTPD Service Failed to Start

Today I have installed VSFTPD but service is failing to start. We have been using standard FTP successful but need to introduce an FTPS option. I have run YUM install VSFTPD and everything appeared to load ok. (If I run rpm - qa | grep vsftpd I get vsftpd-2.0.5-16.el5_4.1 which I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PaulComins
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vsftpd

Hello I am new to linux. I have recently installed vsftpd in my Centos server. I have set the local_umask=0037. But now i can't understand how the window users added in a centos server can see each-other folder. ---------- Post updated at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 AM... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maham Zahid
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does vsftpd support user access with client certificate with priv/pub key + vsftpd certificate?

:rolleyes:I am trying to setup all certificate based client-server environment in Linux using vsftpd and curl with openssl. I would like to make a user access with vsftpd certificate and user own client certificate (self-signed) with private/public key. I don't see google posts about the my plan... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Run one service after another service has finished - systemd

Hi all I would like to know how to run task2.service after task1.service has finished. task1.service has a timer (task1.timer), that makes it run every 5 minutes OnCalendar=*:0/5task2.service is basically a script, that has to work on the files created after task1 has finished. This is what I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guilliber
2 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script, service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS it to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. If the init script file does not exist, the script tries to use legacy actions. If there is no suitable legacy action found and COMMAND is one of actions specified in LSB Core Specification, input is redirected to the systemctl. Otherwise the command fails with return code 2. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
chkconfig(8), ntsysv(8), systemd(1), systemctl(8), systemd.service(5) Jan 2006 service(8)