Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: swinstall and autoreboot
Operating Systems HP-UX swinstall and autoreboot Post 70599 by Kelam_Magnus on Monday 2nd of May 2005 11:36:18 AM
Old 05-02-2005
I can tell you normal at my company is to schedule a maintenance window and then patch and reboot all at the same time. that is IF the patches require a reboot. Or if you wish to reboot to test the patch if it is related to a startup function.

If the patch is truly non-invasive, I would pick an off-hours time after the production day is done or has slowed down to a crawl. So as to have the least impact if anything goes awry.

I would never recommend patching during the production day. Unless you know for a fact that the patch is non-intrusive which includes any software that the users might be accessing in their normal course of work. Even though the box may not require rebooting some patches can affect services on the box and inturn affect the users.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

help with swinstall

I'm trying to install gcc from hp with swinstall but what happens is the following: I change source to the correct depot, it complains it can't find anything, when I change target to /usr/local, it shows the depot in the list. Next, I mark it for install, install it, but then it gets installed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

Help with swinstall HP patches

I am having trouble installing some HPUX patches on my B1000 11.11. I am a novice at this so bear with me. I understand how to install depots. Very easy. Now I'm trying to patch my system so I can get the Oracle client installed. Oracle says I need these two patches: PHCO_23770, PHCO_23092 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: natter
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

swinstall error

Our company recently purchased a couple of rp3440 machines. They arrived with HPUX 11.11 installed. The default setup has /lib as a symbolic link to /usr/lib. I wanted to use some of the enhanced features of GNU softare, so I went to the HP-UX Porting and Archive center and downloaded the Core... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SemiOfCol
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

swinstall

Hi, I am new to HP-UX. I am attempting some pre-requisites to an Oracle upgrade, part of which requires some OS patching. When I check using show_patches or swlist -l patch the patches do not exist. On visiting ItResource web page I see the patches and later "recommended" patches (that unlike... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcqv
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to run sqlscript in the swinstall ?

hi, I have prepared a script with contents /dboracle/orabase/product/9.2.0.6/bin/sqlplus -s rcrp/rcrp<<EOF CREATE TABLE ADDER_CUG_LIST ( CUG_ID VARCHAR2(15) NOT NULL, TEL_NO VARCHAR2(15), START_DATE DATE, END_DATE DATE ); exit; EOF ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: plaban.rout
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

swinstall issues

what the heck am I doing wrong? Im trying to install bastille and i keep getting errors. # cd - /var/spool/sw # ls B6849AA_B.02.01.03.depot catalog swagent.log var # swinstall -s /var/spool/sw B6849AA ======= 10/04/07 09:47:43 EDT BEGIN swinstall... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

swinstall and swremove

can it have any command that swinstall and swremove without gui thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alert0919
1 Replies

8. Solaris

swinstall: not found

i am having this error when i try to execute # swinstall -s /cdrom/volume_manager3.5/pkgs swinstall: not found anyone know why was it having this error? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

sos about swpackage AND swinstall

hi all, I just want to make a depot package.All steps: 1. make a psf file # PSF which define the myutil product depot layout_version 1.0 tag ddmi_linux_installer title ddmi_linux_installer # Product definition vendor tag HP title Hewlett-Packard Company product tag... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lb1111830
0 Replies

10. HP-UX

swinstall not working with target

Hi, I have installed a software using the command(swinstall -s /Softwares/Game.pkg AngryDog.nwr-cbin @/z_temp). During installation I didn't find any error, also I can find a folder structure(opt/angrydog...) getting created under "/z_temp" and all files are present. But software is not working.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thunderbird288
1 Replies
GIT-PATCH-ID(1)                                                     Git Manual                                                     GIT-PATCH-ID(1)

NAME
git-patch-id - Compute unique ID for a patch SYNOPSIS
git patch-id [--stable | --unstable] DESCRIPTION
Read a patch from the standard input and compute the patch ID for it. A "patch ID" is nothing but a sum of SHA-1 of the file diffs associated with a patch, with whitespace and line numbers ignored. As such, it's "reasonably stable", but at the same time also reasonably unique, i.e., two patches that have the same "patch ID" are almost guaranteed to be the same thing. IOW, you can use this thing to look for likely duplicate commits. When dealing with git diff-tree output, it takes advantage of the fact that the patch is prefixed with the object name of the commit, and outputs two 40-byte hexadecimal strings. The first string is the patch ID, and the second string is the commit ID. This can be used to make a mapping from patch ID to commit ID. OPTIONS
--stable Use a "stable" sum of hashes as the patch ID. With this option: o Reordering file diffs that make up a patch does not affect the ID. In particular, two patches produced by comparing the same two trees with two different settings for "-O<orderfile>" result in the same patch ID signature, thereby allowing the computed result to be used as a key to index some meta-information about the change between the two trees; o Result is different from the value produced by git 1.9 and older or produced when an "unstable" hash (see --unstable below) is configured - even when used on a diff output taken without any use of "-O<orderfile>", thereby making existing databases storing such "unstable" or historical patch-ids unusable. This is the default if patchid.stable is set to true. --unstable Use an "unstable" hash as the patch ID. With this option, the result produced is compatible with the patch-id value produced by git 1.9 and older. Users with pre-existing databases storing patch-ids produced by git 1.9 and older (who do not deal with reordered patches) may want to use this option. This is the default. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-PATCH-ID(1)