Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing spaces between records Post 70484 by Perderabo on Friday 29th of April 2005 09:13:05 AM
Old 04-29-2005
Well, here's an idea...try it the way I wrote it...
Code:
$ cat a1.t
<xyzr> <abc>1234</xyzr> <aaa> <bbb> ayz mnz</bbb> <sen>KEA EP</sen> <LAN>aa</LAN>

$ sed 's/> *</></g' < a1.t > a2.t
$ cat a2.t
<xyzr><abc>1234</xyzr><aaa><bbb> ayz mnz</bbb><sen>KEA EP</sen><LAN>aa</LAN>

$ uname -a
SunOS dev 5.6 Generic_105181-28 sun4d sparc SUNW,SPARCserver-1000
$

But also, your first modification looks like it should work....
Code:
$ rm a2.t
$ sed 's/> *</></g' a1.t >a2.t
$ cat a2.t
<xyzr><abc>1234</xyzr><aaa><bbb> ayz mnz</bbb><sen>KEA EP</sen><LAN>aa</LAN>

$

And it does for me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing spaces from variables?

I stored results like this VAR=`wc -l < ls.txt` But the value of the wc gave me a padded number. How do I strip the padding from $VAR? Do you think I could use SED? Except instead of a file input, have a variable redirection input? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces

hey.. i had a problem with the unix command when i want to remove the white spaces in a string..i guess i cud do it with a sed command but i get an error when i give space in the square brackets.. string="nh hjh llk" p=`echo $string | sed 's/ //g'` i donno how to give space charater and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahithi_khushi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces...

Hey, I'm using the command from this thread https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/590-converting-list-into-line.html to convert vertical lines to horzontal lines. But I need to remove the spaces that is created. Unfortunately I can't figure out where the space is in the code.. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces in a line

Hi All, I have a line like this " field1;field2;field3 " (single space after and before double quotes). Now i have to remove these single space . Kindly help me. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces within Filename

Hello, I have a Folder (myfile) which contain the following files: P$12789865KR +N+01+OM+16102009165416.nu P$M1-508962GD +N+01+ALP+14102009094417.nu Is there a sed command(s) that will loop through this folder and remove the spaces that exists in the filename? Any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fishn
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces from record

HI i have record as shown below 402665,4X75,754X_FERNIE BC,12F2,008708,FERNIE BC,1,UTC ,UTC ,250 402665,4X75,754X_FERNIE BC,F212,008708,FERNIE BC,1,UTC ,UTC ,250 402665,4Y75,754Y_FERNIE BC,22F2,008708,FERNIE BC,1,UTC ,UTC ,250 here i want to remove multiple spaces into no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicate records from 2 files

Can anyone help me to removing duplicate records from 2 separate files in UNIX? Please find the sample records for both the files cat Monday.dat 3FAHP0JA1AR319226MOHMED ATEK 966504453742 SAU2010DE 3LNHL2GC6AR636361HEA DEUK CHOI 821057314531 KOR2010LE 3MEHM0JG7AR652083MUTLAB NAL-NAFISAH... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing non matching records

Hi all I have a file with records starting with "Page" has a first column. some of the records have some other junk characters has first column. so pls help me to remove rows which is not having "Page" has a first column. Thanks, Baski (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskivs
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces between parenthesis ()

Hello, i 've go a file with the following text: oracle@das (J005) 0 oracle@das (J008) 0 oracle@das (J050) 0 oracle@das (J038) ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
15 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-benstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u Disable output buffering. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-benstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! The cat utility does not recognize multibyte characters when the -t or -v option is in effect. BSD
March 21, 2004 BSD