Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is a simple one command to find a file? Post 7028 by LivinFree on Tuesday 18th of September 2001 12:38:20 AM
Old 09-18-2001
I have used before a quick little hack in places that I could not install the "slocate" package. I run a job from cron similar to the following:
find / -type f -print >/root/etc/list.files 2>/dev/null
Then I wrote a simple finder script that searches through the list for the files - it's a LOT faster than waiting for find to complete! Plus, with a little fancy scripting (guffaw), you can search for items only in "bin" directories, or in your $PATH, incase you think you know the name of a program, but forgot exactly what it is.

I now think that slocate is a better idea, since it "remembers" permissions - so if you can't view it anyway, it won't show up.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a file in UNIX without find command?

given a start directory,a filename,how to find it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluo
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

get file name from find command

how can i get the find command to display the filename without the path. example: find /tmp/test /tmp/test1 /tmp/test2 /tmp/test3 should return test1 test2 test3 i'm using bash. also, whats the best way to ignore the . and .. directories? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Find file Script.....

Im trying to make a very simple find the first file with the .zip extension in a specific folder and open that file. The folder path and file name will vary every-time and it may contain spaces. If I try to look For this example the folder directory is /Users/username/Desktop/testfolder/abc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
6 Replies

5. Linux

Simplified find command to find multiple file types

Hi, I'm using the following command to find the multiple requierd file types and its working fine find . -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.pm" -o -name "*.sql" -o -name "*.so" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.java" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.gz" -o -name "*.Z" -type f Though... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple string in one file using find command

Hi, I want find multiple string in one file using find coomand. And keeping it in one variable.grep is not working. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find specific file names and execute a command depending on file's name

Hi, As a newbie, I'm desperate ro make my shell script work. I'd like a script which checks all the files in a directory, check the file name, if the file name ends with "extracted", store it in a variable, if it has a suffix of ".roi" stores in another variable. I'm going to use these two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: armando110
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

wanted to find both link file and ordinary file using single find command

find . -type fl o/p is only the ordinary file. where in it wont give the link files. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP simple script to find e-mail address on a file

Hello guys, im new to to unix/linux i have a text file like this: person1@test.com iisiiasasas person2@test.com 123w2 3233 sajsja person3@test.com jsajjsa sajsjasaj person4@test.com I want to extract only e-mail address and get rid of all other stuff, i want an output like this ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RazorMX
4 Replies
SLOCATE(1)						      General Commands Manual							SLOCATE(1)

NAME
slocate - Security Enhanced version of the GNU Locate SYNOPSIS
slocate [-qi] [-d <path>] [--database=<path>] <search string> slocate [-i] [-r <regexp>] [--regexp=<regexp>] slocate [-qv] [-o <file>] [--output=<file>] slocate [-e <dir1,dir2,...>] [-f <fstype1,...>] <[-l <level>] [-c] <[-U <path>] [-u]> slocate [-Vh] [--version] [--help] DESCRIPTION
Secure Locate provides a secure way to index and quickly search for all files on your system regardless of ownership. It uses incremental encoding just like GNU locate to compress its database to make searching faster, but it will also check file permissions and ownership before displaying matched entries so that users will not see files they do not have access to. Note that permissions and ownership are not stored in the database. This manual page documents slocate. slocate Enables system users to search entire filesystems without displaying unauthorized files. OPTIONS -u Create slocate database starting at path /. -U <dir> Create slocate database starting at path <dir>. -e <dir1,dir2,...> Exclude directories from the slocate database. -f <fstype1,...> Exclude files on specific file systems from the slocate database. -c Parse '/etc/updatedb.conf' when updating the slocate database. (see CONFIGURATION FILE below). -l <level> Security level. 0 turns security checks off. This will make searchs faster. 1 turns security checks on. This is the default. -i Does a case insensitive search. -q Quiet mode. Error messages are suppressed. -n <num> Limit the amount of results shown to <num>. -r <regexp> --regexp=<regexp> Search the database using a basic POSIX regular expression. -o <file> --output=<file> Specfies the database to create. -d <path> --database=<path> Specfies the path of databases to search in. -h --help Display this help. -v --verbose Verbose mode. Display files when creating database. -V --version Display version. ENVIRONMENT
LOCATE_PATH Colon-separated list of databases to search. CONFIGURATION FILE
Secure Locate will parse GNU Locate's /etc/updatedb.conf when the argument is provided. But please be aware that Secure Locate currently does NOT support all options provided by GNU Locate's configuration file. Options currently supported by Secure Locate are PRUNEFS and PRUNEPATHS VERSION
Secure Locate v3.0 beta AUTHOR
Kevin Lindsay - Copyright (c) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 BUG REPORT
Report bugs to slocate@trakker.ca URL
http://slocate.trakker.ca/ SEE ALSO
updatedb(1) January 6, 2006 SLOCATE(1)