Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Repeated printF causes annoyance with do Post 70100 by Perderabo on Monday 25th of April 2005 08:52:06 PM
Old 04-25-2005
atoi needs a string not a character. You can convert a single character to a digit by subtracting '0'. Also when you type, say, "1\n" in response to the first question, the \n remains to be used in the next scanf. Some platforms will flush left overs if you fflush(stdin), but it's not universal. Try:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
int main () {
char coll;
int col;

do {
    printf("Enter Number: \n");
    scanf(" %c",&coll);
    col = coll - (int)'0';
    } while (( col < 4 ) || (col > 9));
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get rid of repeated entries.

I have the following problem. The file contains many lines already sorted according to their first arguments. Some of these first arguments are repetitive. For each first argument value, I need to keep the first and the last line that contain it. For example, ... 1 234 1 348 ... ... 5 483... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jijibabawu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching repeated character

looking for a bit of help with sed. I have a file that looks a bit like this: sdfghhjk asdfdfghgj asdfhgghj werdfvtfh edftbgh 1211211221 sdffgfm dfghnhjm dfvfsgbgh adsfv bdhgn 1111111dffg dfv1122 dsgvbghn111111 fffffffgbdghn fffffff sfgh3333gs vdf (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
5 Replies

3. Programming

Vim highlighting annoyance

I was using vim about an hour ago doing abit of python (i only just started using vim). And I think i typed something wrong, and all of a sudden the letter i is always highlighted. Turning syntax off and on didn't work. and i couldent find the solution online. Thanks in advanced. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vimhelp
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the repeated name in subject

Hi, I am using a mail application, When I use to check with the command, I will get the outputs as q -s 6128175 (9, 9/6128175) Return-path: minka.bell@abcd.org From: "Minka Bell" <minka.bell@abcd.org> To: <dcrouch@xyz.org>, Subject: Open items with new PICT system Date: Wed,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeated Pattern

I have a list like this: todu todo tofe tafo I want to grep only the lines where the 2nd and the 4th character are the same. In this case I would get only "todo". Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlopes
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh annoyance

I have this script that routinely ssh into another host to collect data from that host. However we have these annoying boilerplates on all our machines that flood the screen from all the ssh's. Any way to filter this stdout but allow all the other stdout? In other words, the second you ssh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find repeated word and take sum of the second field to it ,for all the repeated words in awk

Hi below is the input file, i need to find repeated words and sum up the values of it which is second field from the repeated work.Im trying but getting no where close to it.Kindly give me a hint on how to go about it Input fruits,apple,20,fruits,mango,20,veg,carrot,12,veg,raddish,30... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting most repeated 3 lines

Hi all if i want to get the 3 lines of the most repeated lines here tony,1,x tony,1,x tony,2,x tony,2,x tony,3,x tony,4,x tony,5,x adam,1,y to get output tony,1,x tony,2,x tony3,x adam,1,y (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: teefa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the most repeated column

Hi all , i want to get the most repeated column in my file File: name,ID adam,12345 ----1 adam,12345 ----2 adam,934 adam,12345 ----3 john,14 john,13 john,25 ----1 john,25 ----2 tom,1 -----1 tom,2 -----1 so my output to be (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: teefa
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading between a repeated string

I have a requirement where I have to read the lines between a repeated string FileName: abc.txt ls /data/abc.txt 1 2 #ZENCO 3 4 5 6 #ZENCO 11 213 454 7 #ZENCO (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
8 Replies
col(1)								   User Commands							    col(1)

NAME
col - reverse line-feeds filter SYNOPSIS
col [-bfpx] DESCRIPTION
The col utility reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output. It performs the line overlays implied by reverse line- feeds, and by forward and reverse half-line-feeds. Unless -x is used, all blank characters in the input will be converted to tab charac- ters wherever possible. col is particularly useful for filtering multi-column output made with the .rt command of nroff(1) and output resulting from use of the tbl(1) preprocessor. The ASCII control characters SO and SI are assumed by col to start and end text in an alternative character set. The character set to which each input character belongs is remembered, and on output SI and SO characters are generated as appropriate to ensure that each character is written in the correct character set. On input, the only control characters accepted are space, backspace, tab, carriage-return and newline characters, SI, SO, VT, reverse line- feed, forward half-line-feed and reverse half-line-feed. The VT character is an alternative form of full reverse line-feed, included for compatibility with some earlier programs of this type. The only other characters to be copied to the output are those that are printable. The ASCII codes for the control functions and line-motion sequences mentioned above are as given in the table below. ESC stands for the ASCII escape character, with the octal code 033; ESC- means a sequence of two characters, ESC followed by the character x. reverse line-feed ESC-7 reverse half-line-feed ESC-8 forward half-line-feed ESC-9 vertical-tab (VT) 013 start-of-text (SO) 016 end-of-text (SI) 017 OPTIONS
-b Assume that the output device in use is not capable of backspacing. In this case, if two or more characters are to appear in the same place, only the last one read will be output. -f Although col accepts half-line motions in its input, it normally does not emit them on output. Instead, text that would appear between lines is moved to the next lower full-line boundary. This treatment can be suppressed by the -f (fine) option; in this case, the output from col may contain forward half-line-feeds (ESC-9), but will still never contain either kind of reverse line motion. -p Normally, col will ignore any escape sequences unknown to it that are found in its input; the -p option may be used to cause col to output these sequences as regular characters, subject to overprinting from reverse line motions. The use of this option is highly discouraged unless the user is fully aware of the textual position of the escape sequences. -x Prevent col from converting blank characters to tab characters on output wherever possible. Tab stops are considered to be at each column position n such that n modulo 8 equals 1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of col: LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nroff(1), tbl(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The input format accepted by col matches the output produced by nroff with either the -T37 or -Tlp options. Use -T37 (and the -f option of col) if the ultimate disposition of the output of col will be a device that can interpret half-line motions, and -Tlp otherwise. col cannot back up more than 128 lines or handle more than 800 characters per line. Local vertical motions that would result in backing up over the first line of the document are ignored. As a result, the first line must not have any superscripts. SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 col(1)