Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ftp telnet enable
Operating Systems Linux ftp telnet enable Post 69668 by Just Ice on Monday 18th of April 2005 03:23:55 PM
Old 04-18-2005
root is denied ftp rights by default in most *nix now as this is a security issue (see "man ftpusers") ... check that you can ftp as a regular user --- if yes, your ftp setup is fine ...

in solaris, remote root login can be enabled by commenting out the "CONSOLE=/dev/console" line in /etc/default/login ... you might want to check how to enable that in linux ... see "man login" for your box ...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Enable FTP on SCO

My goal is to use FTP to transfer file between PC and SCO Unix server.When I try to connect via FTP with root user, it failed. What should I do? How to configure ftpaccess? Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vladan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 8 - FTP server -enable

Hi, I have turn off the FTP service and rebooted the server . (edit /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/inet/services) Now , how can I enable back the FTP without rebooting the server . Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: civic2005
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

Enable PWD command on anonymous FTP?

Hello everyone - First post here, I'm trying to connect to an anonymous ftp server and I am told by the server admin that I cannot have access to the "print working directory" command. I need to have access to this command in order for my (and my clients) preferred ftp client to connect. (the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: HiredGun79
9 Replies

4. Linux

How to Enable TELNET for root user

How to Enable TELNET for root user in Linux. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthi_13
3 Replies

5. Solaris

SSH enable, Telnet disable ...

Hi... How do I enable SSH and disable telnet.. Also - is there anything special I need to do to ensure that a new user can use ssh and su but not telnet? Adel (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArabOracle.com
15 Replies

6. HP-UX

FTP service Enable/Disable

hi everybody, I can easily enable /disable the FTP service from SAM, how can I do this via command line? using inetd? how? cheers, messi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: messi777
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Enable telnet as root to 11.31 non-trusted system?

I have a new box that was set up for me and I want to allow telnet to the box as root. I know that it's not secure but due to the nature of what I test I need an easy and reliable way back in if I've messed up the other connection methods(SSH). This is in a protected lab environment. Eventually... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gctaylor
17 Replies

8. HP-UX

Enable ftp port

Hi Experts, Need your help in enabling the ftp port in HP-UX box. Is there any command/config file that needs to be changed? Also is it possible to open it only for few selected IPs only? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enable Annonymous FTP login.

Hi, I am transferring my report files to another FTP server which the end users are downloading later. But while accessing the FTP server its asking for username and password which i don't want to share to the end users rather i want to make the login as anonymous so that it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Showdown
3 Replies
NETRC(5)                                                      BSD File Formats Manual                                                     NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)