Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System hang in New Kernel.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers System hang in New Kernel. Post 6961 by Neo on Sunday 16th of September 2001 09:33:16 PM
Old 09-16-2001
Yes, it sounds like the driver configured to be the mouse on the serial port (for example /dev/mouse --> /dev/ttyS0 for a standard serial mouse) is not the right driver, OR, it is not on the right hardware port.

Either way, you are correct in guessing that you have a mouse driver/device problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

system hang

Hello, I am having a HP proliant 350 G3 sever installed wih RedHat linux 9.0 when I enterd using any user(Except root) the server hanged after few seconds, also the folder icons are blacked out and the names of the folder icons are disapper. can any body help me. Ajay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajay234
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

What would cause high kernel/system utilisation

We have a VM running RedHat that seems to have very high system (kernel) utilisation compared to our physical servers running the same OS and workload that show normal system time utilisation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azurty
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

4. Linux

Linux System became hang-up

Hi all, I am working on Red hat Linux 2.6 and I am trying to compile some java files and when I am trying to do it,it compiles some file and then became hang up and doesn't allow me to do any operation.. I write one ksh script to compile all files by this script and move those file in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i avoid system hang due to ssh in script?

I have a script that collects data from about 200 servers using 'ssh'. The problem is that, process sometime hangs at some point stopping the execution of the script. Please give me some idea how can I force the execution to jump to the next step if there arises any problem !! Thanks for replies if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdangol
1 Replies

6. Programming

A system hang issue in porting an old fs to kernel 2.6.32.*

Hi, I ported a file system from Kernel version 2.6.18.* to 2.6.32.46 as VFS implementation has changed and prepare_write/commit_write are replaced by write_begin/write_end pairs. Implemented the feature by writing a wrapper for write_begin and write_end and calling original functions for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen_218
0 Replies

7. Linux

Kernel developer or system admin

Hi, I am already working as Linux admin for last 5 years. Now I want to do something more. So wanted to ask you guys what would be better. I have 2 interests for making my future 1. Linux kernel development 2. Linux system admin + storage Welcome your thoughts!!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
5 Replies

8. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
SCC(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    SCC(4)

NAME
scc -- Zilog 8530 Serial Communications Controller interface SYNOPSIS
scc* at ioasic? offset ? DESCRIPTION
The scc driver provides support for the Zilog 8530 Serial Communications Controller (SCC) via the IOASIC found on DECstation 5000 models in the /100, /20, and /240 series (supported by NetBSD/pmax). Each SCC device has two serial ports. The DECstation 5000 model 20 provides one SCC device. Other models provide two, but one port of each device is dedicated to mouse and keyboard input, respectively. Input and output for each line may set to one of following baud rates: 50, 75, 110, 134.5, 150, 300, 600, 1200, 1800, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, or 57600. Speeds up to 230400 are supported by the chip and the motherboard, but speeds higher than 57600 do not work reliably without an external clock signal. FILES
/dev/ttya /dev/ttyb /dev/ttyc /dev/ttyd The mapping from units to serial-hardware outlets is idiosyncratic. The even ports are wired serial connectors and the odd-numbered ports are reserved for mouse and keyboard. On machines with one port like Personal DECstations, the single device is ttya. On the 5000/1xx and 5000/2xx, the first serial port (default serial console) is ttyc and the second port is ttya. SEE ALSO
intro(4), ioasic(4), ttys(5), MAKEDEV(8) HISTORY
The scc driver first appeared in 4.4BSD. The scc driver was also used for the IOASIC SCC found in DEC Alpha model 3000 TurboCHANNEL based systems; NetBSD/alpha has since been con- verted to use the machine-independent zstty(4). BUGS
The IOASIC provides internal DMA channels that can be programmed to transfer up to 4096 bytes of data into, or out, of an SCC without further software intervention. This feature of the IOASIC is not yet supported. The mapping from device-special files (major and minor number) to chip and port is arguably backwards. ULTRIX tries to hide the hardware mapping, but NetBSD does not. Users wanting to use ULTRIX compatible tty names /dev/tty0 and /dev/tty1 for the scc comm-port lines should make links or device-special files which match their hardware setup. BSD
April 24, 2003 BSD