Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ssh & crontab bug
Operating Systems Solaris ssh & crontab bug Post 69443 by drake on Thursday 14th of April 2005 07:07:14 PM
Old 04-14-2005
Are you editing the crontab directly using vi (e.g vi /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root) ?

You should use

su -
[ enter passwd ]
crontab -e
[make your cron changes]
:wq!

Not using "crontab -e" will mean your cron daemon will not pick up any new jobs submitted ... if you vi your crontab manually, you will have to then refresh the cron daemon.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab & var/spool/mai

Hi there, I'm using crontab to move some files every minute, but when crontab doesn't find these files it sends a message to the file "user_name" in the directory "var/spool/mail". Is it possible to "bypass" this problem? Thanks in advance, Giordano Bruno (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
1 Replies

2. Fedora

Crontab & MAILTO

Hi there, I'm working with two servers, one with FEDORA 6 and the other one with FEDORA 7, and if I put these lines in crontab: MAILTO=MYADDRESS@mail.com */1 * * * * df -h everything works fine on FEDORA 7 , while it doesn't work on6?!?...and I find this message in the log file: MAIL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the purpose of 2 >&1 in crontab?

while we editing the cron at the end of the cron what is the purpose of giving 2 >&1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
4 Replies

4. Linux

How to save crontab configuration when using SSH?

Hi, I'm trying to save a crontab configuration using SSH, acessing a Linux machine from a Windows desktop. So, in the prompt I type "crontab -e", to edit crontab, and a window is opened. But after writing the changes, I press Save button but it seems not working, because when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roger75
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remotely append crontab over ssh

Hi I would like to append/modify crontab remotely over ssh and this is what i have tried so far. text.txt contains the following line. 0,15,30,45 * * * * /home/local/hello.sh cat text.txt |ssh $host 'tee' but i dont know how to edit the crontab here after piping it to tee command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh does not work in script while running crontab

Hi All, I have prepared a small script to monitor few applications running on diff unix boxes(frontend/backed node1/node2 etc). ssh does not work for node2 when script executed from crontab..:wall: it work fine when i run it manually. Regards, Pavan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavanchouksey
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange bug crontab command line php / bcompiler

Hello everyone, I have a small problem that I'm stuck for several days and I do not go out. I tell you, I have a php script that I want to run crontab, it uses a compiled bcompiler file. In my php file if(file_exists("php/Alibrary.phb")){ include_once("php/Alibrary.phb"); What I do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicolas33770
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission on crontab & mysql

HI, I am using centos 6 and finding difficultly in doing 2 below things. 1. i have a user praveen i want to allow him to create cron job of his own. so i have added his user id in cron.allow but still it is not allowing him to edit(even if i have created praveen from root user) or create his... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenkumar198
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab 2>&1 not emailing

I have a script that emails me when I run it manually, but the crontab I'm using must be 'silencing' the output? Here's what I have: */15 * * * * /usr/src/blah.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 I don't want it to email me every time it runs, just when I run the sendmail command inside the script if the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
13 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)