Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers searching a file in a unix server Post 69263 by rocky_triton on Wednesday 13th of April 2005 12:35:56 PM
Old 04-13-2005
find <start_location> -name "pattern"

here's a couple quick examples:

find . -name "*.txt" (this will return all text files it finds starting in the current directory and going through all subdirectories)

find / -name "*.xml" (this will find all xml files starting from root directory).

man find for more details on the other options.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for a specific phrase on Unix server

Is it possible to search all the file systems on a Unix server for a specific phrase? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmcaleer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find file on server, searching thru many folders

Hi all, Is it possible to find a file on a server without knowing the file path? And when the file is found is it possible to find out the file path? I would like to find a file by typing: find server/ -name "filename" Instead of: find server/folder1/folder2/folder3/ -name "filename" Can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Snakehead
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

Transfer file from local unix server to remote server

want to remove the thread thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer file from local unix server to remote server

want to remove this thread. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching thru or combining multiple lines in a unix file

This is the problem actually: This regex: egrep "low debug.*\".*\"" $dbDir/alarmNotification.log is looking for data between the two quotation marks: ".*\" When I hate data like this: low debug 2009/3/9 8:30:20.47 ICSNotificationAlarm Prodics01ics0003 IC... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndedhia1
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To copy a file from one unix server to another unix server through scripts

I am getting the fallowing error when i am trying to execute the scp commomd in shell script warning: You have no controlling tty. Cannot read confirmation. warning: Authentication failed. Disconnected; key exchange or algorithm negotiation failed (Key exchange failed.). scp2: warning: ssh2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manit
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Sending file from UNIX server to Windows server

I'm trying to write a Perl script where a file from a UNIX server box connects to a Windows server box and copies that file into the Window box. The main problem I have right now is that whenever I try to connect to the Windows box, the connection is refused. The error message that always pops... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch the different data by searching with a same variable from a file in AIX server

Hi, I am trying to fetch the different values in an xml file by searching with the same variable in AIX Server. <name>SharedResources/Shared/JNDI/Username</name> <value>admin</value> <name>SharedResources/Shared/JNDI/Username</name> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tejastrikez
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update/Download file from FTP server to UNIX Server

HI Guys, I want to download files from FTP Server to my Unix server. I have tried , buy No Luck . Below Command i have tried. 1-Wget - Error "wget' not found" 2.ftp -n $HOST ...Not Working. 3.scp -i ftp://user:passowrd@hostname:21/ran/on/test.txt Any Suggestion (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
2 Replies
INSTR(3)						       MBK UTILITY FUNCTIONS							  INSTR(3)

NAME
instr - find an occurence of a string in a string, starting at a specified character. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mut.h" char *instr(s, find, from) char *s, *find, from; PARAMETERS
s Pointer to the string to be searched for the pattern find Pointer to the string to be found, the pattern from Character to be searched backwards before searching for the pattern DESCRIPTION
instr searches the first occurence of the string find in the string s, starting its search at the last occurence of the from character in the string s. If either s or find is NULL, the function returns NULL. If from is (char)0, the pattern is searched from the begining of s. This quite exotic behaviour is useful to search the occurence of a name in a string resulting from a flatten, when only a terminal object name is to be taken into account. RETURN VALUES
instr return NULL either if the pattern find is not present in the searched string s, or if one at least of these two string are NULL. If the pattern is found, a value different from NULL is returned. EXAMPLE
#include "mut.h" /* check for the pattern 'ck' anywhere in the string */ #define contains_ck(name)instr(name, "ck", ' ') /* check for the pattern 'ck' in the signal name, not instance ones */ #define isclock(ptsig) instr(getsigname(ptsig), "ck", SEPAR) SEE ALSO
mbk(1), isvdd(3), isvss(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 INSTR(3)