Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers searching a file in a unix server Post 69260 by jhmr7 on Wednesday 13th of April 2005 12:30:03 PM
Old 04-13-2005
searching a file in a unix server

Please let me know which command and its format to use to search for a file.

Windows provides a find option but i would like to know the equivalent in UNIX.

for example i need to search for a file called uv.config and where exactly it is located in a unix server.

TIA.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for a specific phrase on Unix server

Is it possible to search all the file systems on a Unix server for a specific phrase? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmcaleer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find file on server, searching thru many folders

Hi all, Is it possible to find a file on a server without knowing the file path? And when the file is found is it possible to find out the file path? I would like to find a file by typing: find server/ -name "filename" Instead of: find server/folder1/folder2/folder3/ -name "filename" Can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Snakehead
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

Transfer file from local unix server to remote server

want to remove the thread thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer file from local unix server to remote server

want to remove this thread. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching thru or combining multiple lines in a unix file

This is the problem actually: This regex: egrep "low debug.*\".*\"" $dbDir/alarmNotification.log is looking for data between the two quotation marks: ".*\" When I hate data like this: low debug 2009/3/9 8:30:20.47 ICSNotificationAlarm Prodics01ics0003 IC... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndedhia1
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To copy a file from one unix server to another unix server through scripts

I am getting the fallowing error when i am trying to execute the scp commomd in shell script warning: You have no controlling tty. Cannot read confirmation. warning: Authentication failed. Disconnected; key exchange or algorithm negotiation failed (Key exchange failed.). scp2: warning: ssh2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manit
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Sending file from UNIX server to Windows server

I'm trying to write a Perl script where a file from a UNIX server box connects to a Windows server box and copies that file into the Window box. The main problem I have right now is that whenever I try to connect to the Windows box, the connection is refused. The error message that always pops... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch the different data by searching with a same variable from a file in AIX server

Hi, I am trying to fetch the different values in an xml file by searching with the same variable in AIX Server. <name>SharedResources/Shared/JNDI/Username</name> <value>admin</value> <name>SharedResources/Shared/JNDI/Username</name> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tejastrikez
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update/Download file from FTP server to UNIX Server

HI Guys, I want to download files from FTP Server to my Unix server. I have tried , buy No Luck . Below Command i have tried. 1-Wget - Error "wget' not found" 2.ftp -n $HOST ...Not Working. 3.scp -i ftp://user:passowrd@hostname:21/ran/on/test.txt Any Suggestion (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
2 Replies
NOTMUCH-TAG(1)						      General Commands Manual						    NOTMUCH-TAG(1)

NAME
notmuch-tag - Add/remove tags for all messages matching the search terms. SYNOPSIS
notmuch tag +<tag>|-<tag> [...] [--] <search-term>... DESCRIPTION
Add/remove tags for all messages matching the search terms. See notmuch-search-terms(7) for details of the supported syntax for <search-terms>. Tags prefixed by '+' are added while those prefixed by '-' are removed. For each message, tag removal is performed before tag addition. The beginning of <search-terms> is recognized by the first argument that begins with neither '+' nor '-'. Support for an initial search term beginning with '+' or '-' is provided by allowing the user to specify a "--" argument to separate the tags from the search terms. notmuch tag updates the maildir flags according to tag changes if the maildir.synchronize_flags configuration option is enabled. See not- much-config(1) for details. SEE ALSO
notmuch(1), notmuch-config(1), notmuch-count(1), notmuch-dump(1), notmuch-hooks(5), notmuch-new(1), notmuch-reply(1), notmuch-restore(1), notmuch-search(1), notmuch-search-terms(7), notmuch-show(1), Notmuch 0.13.2 2012-06-01 NOTMUCH-TAG(1)