Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pipes inside
Top Forums Programming pipes inside Post 68747 by pranki on Wednesday 6th of April 2005 04:02:05 PM
Old 04-06-2005
What is the impetus for your question? I think, you'd better ask "Who is the impetus for your question?" Smilie
I have an university course called "Operating systems", and he is my teacher Smilie Don't think I was born so curious. My study made me such I am Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd using pipes

Hi, Can the cd command be invoked using pipes??? My actual question is slightly different. I am trying to run an executable from different folders and the path of these folders are obtained dynamically from the front end. Is there a way in which i can actually run the executable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sinbad
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt about pipes

can we use pipes to redirect the output of any command to grep ..... like i wanted to write this script about checking the online status of a certain user so ...can i send the output of who to grep directly using pipes... one way was this : who > temp grep $uname temp i was wondering if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evergreen_cool
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping a array inside inside ssh is not working, pls help

set -A arr a1 a2 a3 a4 # START ssh -xq $Server1 -l $Username /usr/bin/ksh <<-EOS integer j=0 for loop in ${arr} do printf "array - ${arr}\n" (( j = j + 1 )) j=`expr j+1` done EOS # END ========= this is not giving me correct output. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

broken pipes

A broken pipe means that you are writing onto a pipe that has been closed by the other end. i have unix batch which forks some process and these processes are communicating each other via pipes. but sometimes i got too many broken pipe error. how can i search for the cause of these errors,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yakari
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning about pipes!

im trying to figure out how to do the following: using pipes to combine grep and find commands to print all lines in files that start with the letter f in the current directory that contain the word "test" for example? again using pipes to combine grep and find command, how can I print all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ez45
1 Replies

7. Programming

Pipes in C

Hello all, I am trying to learn more about programming Unix pipes in C. I have created a pipe that does od -bc < myfile | head Now, I am trying to create od -bc < myfile | head | wc Here is my code, and I know I might be off, thats why I am here so I can get some clarification. #include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petrca
1 Replies

8. Programming

Problem with pipes

problem solved. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superfons
1 Replies

9. Programming

Question on pipes in C

If a code forks 2 childs, what can the values be for the process id's of each of the child? I child pid is supposed to be 0, but what if you fork 2 of them? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renumber position 88-94 inside all files matching criteria inside folder

There are 4 files inside one folder matching criteria i.e. File name = ABCJmdmfbsjopXXXXXXX_mm-dd-yyyy_XXX.data Here is the Code which find the files matching criteria:- TS=`date +"%m-%d-%Y"`| for fname in `find . -name "ABCJmdmfbsjop???????_${TS}*.data"` do # Matching File Processing Code.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
1 Replies
streampipes(5)							File Formats Manual						    streampipes(5)

NAME
streampipes - force all pipes to be STREAMS-based VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values DESCRIPTION
This tunable determines the type of pipe that is created by the system call. If set to the default value of zero, all pipes created by are normal HP-UX file-system pipes. If the value is non-zero, creates STREAMS-based pipes, and STREAMS modules can be pushed onto the result- ing stream. If this tunable is set to a non-zero value, the and module and driver must be configured in file Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Any customer. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at next reboot. When Should the Tunable Be Turned On? If the customer uses applications that require STREAMS-based pipes, this tunable should be turned on. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable On? STREAMS-based pipes performance may differ from normal file system pipes. When Should the Tunable Be Turned Off? If the customer does not need the STREAMS-based pipes, this tunable should be turned off. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable Off? Applications that try to push STREAMS modules onto the pipe will fail. What Other Tunable Should Be Changed at the Same Time as This One? If this tunable is set to a non-zero value, the and module and driver must be configured in the file WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters streampipes(5)