Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I need translation!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I need translation! Post 68573 by vino on Tuesday 5th of April 2005 12:16:40 PM
Old 04-05-2005
As far as my understanding goes, this is how it can be done. And yes, please do correct me if its wrong. Am still learning !!

You can do it inside the for loop if you need. Or you can do it outside the loop too.

Inside loop.

Code:
for users in $@
do
#your own code
#and also egrep
egrep "$x" path-of-file-to-be-grep'ed
done

outside loop.
Here you might want to save each name in its own variable. And then later invoke egrep with those variables.
Code:
for users in $@
do
#your own code
#and now saving names.
#you could make use of your counter variable here.
#var1 will hold unix, and so on and so forth.
var$counter=users
let counter=$counter+1
done
for i in $counter
do
egrep "var$i" path-of-file-to-be-grep'ed
done.

Problems I see with each:
Inner.
-Doing grep while reading through names is not good. Possibly might break the loop in between if some grep-error arises. You might want to process all the names and then do a grep.

Outer.
Two for-loops. Surely not very efficient I think.

I'd still go for the outer

Moderators and other users, please suggest/comment/advise on this solution.

Thanks,
Vino

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need translation?

Can someone tell me exactly what this code is doing? # # gnutest # # Test launch of ghostscript (gs) from a script # rm gnutest.ps # # ------- calculation that would generate file(s) to # be plotted with gnuplot would be placed here ----------- # gnuplot << \E-o-f2 set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

2. Programming

Swedish Character translation

Sorry if this been posted before. At the moment I'm having problem with the iscntrl() function. I need it to run a check on code entered into a Text Box, however I also need to allow the "Ö, ö" Swedish characters. The iscntrl() function seems to pick up the characters above as part of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebelwassie
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help --translation

I am reading the SANS security policy--.I want to translate the to Chinese.But I don`t understand a paragraph of the. It is :"Where SNMP is used, the community strings must be defined as something other than the standard defaults of "public," "private" and "system" and must be different from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beijingzhzj
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX to HP-UX translation please

I have been looking up the allocated space, free space and the contents (raw, jfs, paging) of the logical volumes in AIX servers. I have been using lsvg and lsvg -l (server name). What is the HP-UX equivalent to that? I was given this command also so I would not have to type in each volume group... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compan023
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Text Translation

hi all, Im a unix newbie and Im trying to find and replace text and I been looking at these posts since 7 am and I still dont see what Im after. Here is the task at hand. Im trying to translate few lines by doing cat <file> and here is what Im doing <file> 20110228 Mike Original apartment... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PG3
4 Replies

6. AIX

Can't ping - IP translation issue?

Hello, Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I have a site-to-site VPN, across which data is synced between two CRM systems. The opposing side of this tunnel is a flat network (lets call it 201.200.156.xx/24) My internal network is a 192.168.0.xx/24 network, however before... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thruster9
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

Network address translation

How would one approach the problem of determining the NAT tables of a router without knowing the userid and password. The only password holder died. I know the internal ip address of the router is 192.168.2.1, and also ports 80 or 8080 and 3389 are open. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
5 Replies
DHEXRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							 DHEXRC(5)

NAME
dhexrc -- Configuration File for dhex DESCRIPTION
dhexrc is the configuration file that specifies the colorscheme and the key translation tab for dhex(1), Upon starting the program, it is being read and parsed. It is being written and/or created after invoking the keyboard setup. EXAMPLE A typical .dhexrc file looks like this: '#DHEXCOLORSCHEME' '#VERSION 0' '#possible colors are: BLACK,RED,GREEN,YELLOW,BLUE,MAGENTA,CYAN,WHITE' '#possible extra flags are: UNDERLINE,REVERSE,BLINK,DIM,BOLD' 'BRACKETS: FG=BLACK,BG=BLACK,BOLD' 'HEXFIELD: FG=WHITE,BG=BLACK' 'INPUT: FG=BLACK,BG=WHITE' 'CURSOR: FG=WHITE,BG=BLACK' 'TEXT: FG=WHITE,BG=BLACK,BOLD' 'MENU_NORMAL: FG=CYAN,BG=BLACK' 'MENU_HIGHLIGHT: FG=BLACK,BG=CYAN' 'MENU_HOTKEY: FG=YELLOW,BG=BLACK,BOLD' 'MENU_HOTKEY_HI: FG=YELLOW,BG=CYAN,BOLD' 'FRAME: FG=BLUE,BG=BLACK,BOLD' 'NORMAL_DIFF: FG=YELLOW,BG=BLACK' 'CURSOR_DIFF: FG=YELLOW,BG=WHITE,BOLD' 'HEADLINE: FG=BLUE,BG=BLACK,BOLD' 'HEADER: FG=BLACK,BG=CYAN' 'KEYF1:1b 5b 31 31 7e' 'KEYF2:1b 5b 31 32 7e' 'KEYF3:1b 5b 31 33 7e' 'KEYF4:1b 5b 31 34 7e' 'KEYF5:1b 5b 31 35 7e' 'KEYF6:1b 5b 31 37 7e' 'KEYF7:1b 5b 31 38 7e' 'KEYF8:1b 5b 31 39 7e' 'KEYF9:1b 5b 32 30 7e' 'KEYF10:1b 5b 32 31 7e' 'KEYESC:1b' 'KEYBACKSPACE:08' 'KEYDEL:7f' 'KEYENTER:0a' 'KEYTAB:09' 'KEYUP:1b 5b 41' 'KEYDOWN:1b 5b 42' 'KEYRIGHT:1b 5b 43' 'KEYLEFT:1b 5b 44' 'KEYPGUP:1b 5b 35 7e' 'KEYPGDOWN:1b 5b 36 7e' 'KEYHOME:1b 5b 37 7e' 'KEYEND:1b 5b 38 7e' OPTIONS
In the example above, the dhexrc file has three distinct sections: A comment section, a color section and a key conversion tab section. Comments Comments are indicated with a '#' character. Everything afterwards in a line is being ignored when parsing the file Color section There are 14 color groups. Each of the color group has a foreground color, a background color and some extra flags, coming from ncurses. The foreground color is being defined by FG= while the background color is being defined by BG=. They and the extra flags are being separated by ','. Possible colors are BLACK, GREEN, RED, YELLOW, BROWN, BLUE, MAGENTA, WHITE, and exclusively as foreground colors LIGHTBLACK, LIGHTGREEN, LIGHTRED, LIGHTYELLOW, LIGHTBROWN, LIGHTBLUE, LIGHTMAGENTA and LIGHTWHITE. Valid extra flags are UNDERLINE, REVERSE, BLINK, DIM and BOLD. The color pairs are as followed: BRACKETS: This specifies the color for the brackets around text fields. HEXFIELD: This specifies the color in which the file's content is being shown. INPUT: When entering text, it is in this color. CURSOR: The cursor in the hex field has this color. TEXT: This color is for informative text as well as for text fields which are not taking input yet. MENU_NORMAL: Menu items which are not selected belong into this color group. MENU_HIGHLIGHT: The selected menu item gets this special color. MENU_HOTKEY: Hotkeys for menu items are visually distinct from the rest of the text because they have this color. MENU_HOTKEY_HI: If the actual menu item has a hotkey, it is shown in this color. FRAME: Some screens have frames. Those frames have this color. NORMAL_DIFF: Differences in the file's content (either because of changes or because dhex is running in diff mode) are indicated by this color. CURSOR_DIFF: If the cursor is on one of those differences, it will have this color. HEADLINE: On top of the screen, there is a headline. Which is shown in this color. HEADER: In the headline, there are brackets. Within those brackets is the header. It tells you what the window is all about. Key conversion tab section When pressing a "standard" key, something which can be mapped directly to an ascii character, only this character will end up in ncurses' buffer. However, pressing special keys like (for example) F1 or ALT+6 will produce longer sequences. Mapping those sequences back to a spe- cific key is the job of the key conversion tab. (I was dissatisfied how ncurses handled this on its own). The sequences are called (in order) KEYF1, KEYF2, KEYF3, KEYF4, KEYF5, KEYF6, KEYF7, KEYF8, KEYF9, KEYF10, KEYESC, KEYBACKSPACE, KEYDEL, KEYENTER, KEYTAB, KEYUP, KEYDOWN, KEYRIGHT, KEYLEFT, KEYPGUP, KEYPGDOWN, KEYHOME and KEYEND. Sequences itself are a string of lower case hex-values, each two nibbles long. Currently, there is no way of adding an alternative sequence to the same key. It is possible that the sequence made up of hex values does not REALLY belong to the key. (For example if F2 was pressed in the setup program when F1 was prompted). However, when this sequence ends up in the ncurses buffer, it is being interpreted as if that key was pressed. BUGS
Report bugs to <dettus@dettus.net>. Make sure to include DHEX somewhere in the subject. AUTHOR
Written by Thomas Dettbarn SEE ALSO
dhex(1), dhex_markers(5), dhex_searchlog(5) BSD
May 12, 2012 BSD