Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cron job skipping problem
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Cron job skipping problem Post 68504 by kduffin on Tuesday 5th of April 2005 01:52:43 AM
Old 04-05-2005
Rather than the long process list check, why not use a lock file and check for its existence? ie, if it exists, there's another process running, so don't run. Just be sure to include a trap for removing the file for all termination possibilities:

trap 'rm -f $LOCKFILE' 0 1 2 3 13 14 15

Cheers,

Keith

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

cron job problem

I am trying to setup cronjob and once I start to save it is not working. This is what I am getting after I executed crontab -e, I am not even getting the privious entry and I am running from root. crontab -e 421 10 3 * * * /usr/sbin/logadm ? :wq ? Why is it not saving? Any input is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
4 Replies

2. Solaris

problem with cron job

new to unix here, im learning how to schedule jobs with crontab. The following cron job runs under root but not under a test account i created. 50 11 * * 0 /usr/bin/banner "HELLO" > /dev/console i have no idea with it isn't running under the test account but runs right on time when i create... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solne
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron job problem(urgent)

Hey all. Im totally new with makeing websites ect The thing is, i wanted to make one of those pimp games, so i installed a script called mypimpscript.. it works but the 10mins cron jobs dont... ive tried to set it up in cpanel, but im doing it wrong :S right now it looks like this php... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princess
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scheduling Cron job-Problem

Hello All, I want to run a script for every 5 minutes interval.So i developed a script which has to be scheduled to run for every 5 minutes. That script internally runs another script. But the problem is it is not executing properly. Can anybody throw some light on this. Below are the code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem running a cron job

I have created a cron job for the vtiger workflow to execute the shell file named com_vtiger_workflow.sh to run the workflow. I've created the following line in crotab -e : 00 13 * * * /var/www/html/prashant/cron/modules/com_vtiger_workflow/com_vtiger_tiger_workflow.sh | mail -s 'Check... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Cron job

Hi , I have a TCL script which i am supposed to run as a cron job.. The script works fine from command line , but when run as a cron job , its unable to find a package,, my crontab is as follows. --------------------------- #!/usr/bin/ksh * * * * * PATH=/cm8/auto/Automation/Library/TclLib ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudharshana
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

EOF problem with Cron Job?

Hey guys... first post here... I have set up the following cron to create daily backups for me and rotate them weekly: date=`date +%d`; tar -zcvf /home/mysite/backups/backup_dev_$date.tgz /home/mysite/public_html/dev/app --exclude=/home/mysite/public_html/dev/app/tmp However, I keep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy Serb
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron job problem

I have a perl script which Im planning to run every minute. I have set the cron job as * * * * * PATH= /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/lib; perl /dm2/www/html/isos/pre5.3/autoDownload.pl I assume the script is executing every minute only because I see a entry like below when I do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srijith
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Problem with a cron job

When i am trying to open crontab throught command crontab -e. It is not opening? OUTPUT: # crontab -e sh: vim: not found The crontab file was not changed. Please let me know how to open and edit it??? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem with CRON job

HI, I have written an executable file in unix and I was able to execute it successfully but when I called this file with cron job it was giving error like "permission denied" and "No such file or directory". Please help in how cron calls the file and what permission is required on the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin kumar rai
2 Replies
SHLOCK(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SHLOCK(1)

NAME
shlock - create lock files for use in shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shlock -p pid -f name [ -b ] [ -u ] [ -c ] DESCRIPTION
Shlock tries to create a lock file named name and write the process ID pid into it. If the file already exists, shlock will read the process ID from the file and test to see if the process is currently running. If the process exists, then the file will not be created. Shlock exits with a zero status if it was able to create the lock file, or non-zero if the file refers to currently-active process. OPTIONS
-b Process IDs are normally read and written in ASCII. If the ``-b'' flag is used, then they will be written as a binary int. For compatibility with other systems, the ``-u'' flag is accepted as a synonym for ``-b'' since binary locks are used by many UUCP pack- ages. -c If the ``-c'' flag is used, then shlock will not create a lock file, but will instead use the file to see if the lock is held by another program. If the lock is valid, the program will exit with a non-zero status; if the lock is not valid (i.e., invoking shlock without the flag would have succeeded), then the program will exit with a zero status. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how shlock would be used within a shell script: LOCK=/var/run/innd/LOCK.send trap 'rm -f ${LOCK} ; exit 1' 1 2 3 15 if shlock -p $$ -f ${LOCK} ; then # Do appropriate work else echo Locked by `cat ${LOCK}` fi HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> after a description of HDB UUCP locking given by Peter Honeyman. This is revision 1.9, dated 1996/10/29. SHLOCK(1)