Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Making a Directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Making a Directory Post 67274 by nbvcxzdz on Tuesday 22nd of March 2005 06:19:40 AM
Old 03-22-2005
thanks for ur help,

one question: will it check if the directory exists and if so delete it and all its content before making the same directory?

thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making the right choise

I need help on making right decision on witch unix based OS to choose from. What woud be the great for a beginner? :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thunderfastfox
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

making script

hello experts cany any one help me i want to make one script which can rlogin to another machine . but it should not ask me username/password from me of another machine it should take the username and password from the script only. please help me out. regards, shary (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shary
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

making sure my string is [a-z] only

Hi there I am trying to figure out how I can validate my string to ensure that it is consists of only lower case alpha chrataters but for some reason whatever I do, it seems to come back with 'true' I have tried if " ]] ; then echo "yes its fine" else echo... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
21 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help making a library

I understand how to use vi and emacs but I have a project which entails building a library application like a phone directory or listing of dvd's. I am lost on where to start. any help would be appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gustave
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regarding help for making own OS

Dear Fellow, I want to make my own OS, Kindly suggest from where i should start. please help me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaigham_tt
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

making find/sed to include directory names with spaces

how can i make find/sed to include directory names with spaces the command is like this for i in `find wp-content/themes -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -l -iE 'e'`;do sed -i -e 's/word1/word2/gI' "$i";done but it skips one directory names with spaces sed: can't read ./Nova: No such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I could use some help with making a script

I run a small instrument lab. We track our user's time on the instruments with a very manual process of 'last wtmp.1' then cut/paste data into spreadsheets. My boss makes the initial spreadsheets then I convert and format them for uploading into our billing software (COReS). Cores is looking for a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpontius
8 Replies

8. AIX

Making Tar of directory and tar file is going to be placed

Quick question, is it possible to make a Tar of completely directory and placing the tar file in it (will this cause even the tar file to tarred ?) sample: /opt/freeware/bin/tar -cvf - /oracle | gzip > /oracle/backup.tgz will the tar file backup.tgz also include backup.tgz ? i tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help me making this script

This script is executed whenever a new vehicle is added to the cycle-motor park of campus. The script asks for the following information about the car and adds a new line to the vehicle file.txt: name (name of an animal, unique identifier), color, mark, model, type (e.g., electrical, manual),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andre2222
2 Replies
cd(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cd(1)

NAME
cd - change working directory SYNOPSIS
[directory] DESCRIPTION
If directory is not specified, the value of shell parameter is used as the new working directory. If directory specifies a complete path starting with or directory becomes the new working directory. If neither case applies, tries to find the designated directory relative to one of the paths specified by the shell variable. has the same syntax as, and similar semantics to, the shell variable. must have execute (search) permission in directory. exists only as a shell built-in command because a new process is created whenever a command is executed, making useless if written and pro- cessed as a normal system command. Moreover, different shells provide different implementations of as a built-in utility. Features of as described here may not be supported by all the shells. Refer to individual shell manual entries for differences. If is called in a subshell or a separate utility execution environment such as: (which invokes on accessible directories) does not affect the current directory of the caller's environment. Another usage of as a stand- alone command is to obtain the exit status of the command. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. Environment Variables The following environment variables affect the execution of The name of the home directory, used when no directory operand is specified. A colon-separated list of pathnames that refer to directories. If the directory operand does not begin with a slash character, and the first component is not dot or dot-dot, searches for directory relative to each directory named in the variable, in the order listed. The new working directory is set to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current direc- tory. If is not set, it is treated as if it was an empty string. EXAMPLES
Change the current working directory to the directory from any location in the file system: Change to new current working directory residing in the current directory: or Change to directory residing in the current directory's parent directory: Change to the directory whose absolute pathname is Change to the directory relative to home directory: RETURN VALUE
Upon completion, exits with one of the following values: The directory was successfully changed. An error occurred. The working directory remains unchanged. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pwd(1), ksh(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), chdir(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cd(1)