Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split a field in awk script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split a field in awk script Post 67107 by vgersh99 on Monday 21st of March 2005 02:36:09 PM
Old 03-21-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTu
the split function won't work ?
yes, it will - but why bother if the only thing you need is to remove the "."?
Code:
split($6, a, "."); $6 = a[1] a[2]

Quote:
What is the 1 stand for?
shorthand for "print"

Quote:
Thanks

CT

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can Awk split my field on the .

I am trying to pull data out of a file to execute a series of repetitive commands. One of the fields is a {hex number}.{hex number} pattern. I need the first part of that structure to pass into the command. The file structure is like this: A 2007/10/20 09:50:00 li text ef6da.1 name ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to split field data

Hi Experts, I have a Input.txt document which contains data fields seperated by tabs. There are 4 fields totally Named UNIQUE, ORDER, CONTACT and WINS. The UNIQUE field contains unique ID and the CONTACT field contains data seperated by comma in some records. I am looking to write an awk script... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumthreads
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple awk question: split field with :

Hi, Probably a very weak question.. but I have tried all I know.. BPC0001:ANNUL_49542 0.0108 -0.0226 -0.0236 0.0042 0.0033 -0.0545 0.0376 0.0097 -0.0093 -0.032 Control BPC0002:ANNUL_49606 0.0190 -0.0142 -0.0060 -0.0217 -0.0027 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split field with awk

Hi there I have a text file with several fields separated by ";" as follow : 5466-43;5466;JOAN;LIGA;LIGA ESPANOLA;43;DEP LA CORUNA - OSASUNA;10/01/10 17:00 5466-44;5466;CARLES;LIGA;LIGA ESPANOLA;44;MALAGA - ATHL BILBAO;10/01/10 17:00 5466-45;5466;FAB;LIGA;LIGA ESPANOLA;45;REAL MADRID -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: capnino
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split one field and print the last two fields within the split part.

Hello; I have a file consists of 4 columns separated by tab. The problem is the third fields. Some of the them are very long but can be split by the vertical bar "|". Also some of them do not contain the string "UniProt", but I could ignore it at this moment, and sort the file afterwards. Here is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split file into multiple files using awk based on 1 field in the file?

Good day all I need some helps, say that I have data like below, each field separated by a tab DATE NAME ADDRESS 15/7/2012 LX a.b.c 15/7/2012 LX1 a.b.c 16/7/2012 AB a.b.c 16/7/2012 AB2 a.b.c 15/7/2012 LX2 a.b.c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexyyw
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to split the text file after every 4th field

I had a text file(comma seperated values) which contains as below 196237,ram,25-May-06,ram.kiran@xyz.com,204183,Pavan,4-Jun-07,Pavan.Desai@xyz.com,237107,ram Chandra,15-Mar-10,ram.krishna@xyz.com ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split after second underscore in field

I am trying to split a tab-delimeted file using awk after the second _ in bold. The awk below is close but splits on the first _, and I am not sure how to use the second _. Thank you :). file chr1 92145889 92149424 NM_001195684_exon_0_10_chr1_92145900_r 0 - chr1 92161218 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add plus or minus to fields and split another field

In the tab-delimited input below I am trying to use awk to -10 from $2 and +10 to $3. Something like awk -F'\t' -v OFS='\t' -v s=10 '{split($4,a,":"); print $1,$2-s,$3+s,a,$5,$6} | awk {split(a,b,"-"); print $1,$2-s,$3+s,b-s,b+s,$5,$6}' input should do that. I also need to -10 from $4... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to split field twice using two deliminators

In the awk I am splitting on the : into array a, then splitting on the - into element b. I can not seem to duplicate b if there is no - after it. Lines 1,2,4 are examples. If there is a - after the number in b then the value to the right of it is $3 in the ouput. Thank you :). awk... (2 Replies)
2 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)