Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar Files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tar Files Post 67 by Neo on Monday 9th of October 2000 01:38:20 AM
Old 10-09-2000
.tar files are just archives where the files and directories are contained in a nice archive.

Let's say you have a distribution at /usr/local/goodstuff

To create the tar file (one example):

tar cvf goodstuff.tar /usr/local/goodstuff

This creates a file names goodstuff.tar from the directory
and all files below the directory.

Now, if you move this to an Windows platform, you have to have a tar utility that works on that system. Archives tarred on UNIX systems will untar on Windows.

However, keep in mind that binary executables and similar files may not be compatible, so just because you can untar does not mean the files will run Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Untaring *.tar.tar files

Hi all, How to untar a file with .tar.tar extension. A utility that i downloaded from net had this extension. Thanks in advance, bubeshj. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubeshj
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process the files using .tar.gz files in script

Hi, I have some file in /users/xyz directoty with .tar.gz extension. i need to find these files and if found in need to run other commands. I now the command for finding files,but how to put if condition ?please help me Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkreddy
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.tar.tar files

I downloaded what I thought was a gziped file (at least on remote server it had a .gz extention) and once I had it it was filename.tar.tar..I tried the standard untar tar -xvf filename on it and get an error. Does anyone know what's going on? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: capeme
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tar .gz files?

I have the gzip utility installed on machine and now i am compressing the files using gzip command. i need to archive the .gz files using the tar command, but i get the command 'tar' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. do i need to install the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to tar all files except logs and .txt files

Hi I greatly appreciate the forum and the people here very helpful :) I could able to tar all the directories, sub dirs and the files. But unable to tar all the directories excluding the log and text files. Can anyone please advise the exact command to use for excluding .log and .txt? PS:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivia
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Command to remove existing files in the tar files in Solaris 10

Hi, I am using solaris 10 OS.Please help me out with the commands needed in below two scenarios. 1)How to delete the existing files in the tar file. suppose i have a main tarfile named application.tar and it contains a file called ingres.tar. what is the command to remove ingres.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create zip/gz/tar files for if the files are older than particular days in UNIX or Linux?

I need a script file for backup (zip or tar or gz) of old log files in our unix server (causing the space problem). Could you please help me to create the zip or gz files for each log files in current directory and sub-directories also? I found one command which is to create gz file for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
4 Replies
BOS_INSTALL(8)						       AFS Command Reference						    BOS_INSTALL(8)

NAME
bos_install - Installs a new version of a binary file SYNOPSIS
bos install -server <machine name> -file <files to install>+ [-dir <destination dir>] [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-help] bos i -s <machine name> -f <files to install>+ [-d <destination dir>] [-c <cell name>] [-n] [-l] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The bos install command copies each binary file specified with the -file argument to the local disk of the server machine named by the -server argument, which is normally the binary distribution machine for its CPU/operating system type. The destination directory is /usr/lib/openafs unless the -dir argument indicates an alternate directory. The source file's UNIX mode bits are preserved in the transfer. If there is already a file of the same name in the destination directory, the BOS Server automatically saves it by adding a ".BAK" extension. If there is a current ".BAK" version at least seven days old, it replaces the current ".OLD" version. If there is no current ".OLD" version, the current ".BAK" version becomes the ".OLD" version automatically. The bos getdate command displays the timestamps on the current versions of the file. To start using the new binary immediately, issue the bos restart command. Otherwise, the BOS Server automatically restarts the process at the time defined in the /etc/openafs/BosConfig file; use the bos getrestart command to display the time and the bos setrestart time to set it. OPTIONS
-server <machine name> Indicates the binary distribution machine on which to install the new binaries. Identify the machine by IP address or its host name (either fully-qualified or abbreviated unambiguously). For details, see bos(8). If the machine is not a binary distribution machine and is running an "upclientbin" process, then the files are overwritten the next time the "upclientbin" process fetches the corresponding file from the distribution machine (by default within five minutes). -file <files to install>+ Specifies the complete pathname of each binary file to copy into the destination directory. Each source directory can be on the local disk or in AFS, in which case the issuer of the bos install command must have the necessary AFS access rights and the local machine must run the Cache Manager. For the BOS Server to create ".BAK" and ".OLD" versions, the last element in the pathname (the filename) must match the name of a file in the destination directory. bos_create(8) lists the standard binary file names. -dir <destination dir> Provides the complete pathname of the local disk directory in which to install binary files. It is necessary only if the destination directory is not /usr/lib/openafs. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The bos command interpreter presents the ticket to the BOS Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see bos(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command copies the file /afs/abc.com/rs_aix42/usr/lib/openafs/vlserver to the file /usr/lib/openafs/vlserver on the machine "fs3.abc.com", which is the binary distribution machine for server machines running AIX 4.2 in the "abc.com" cell. The current version of the /usr/lib/openafs/vlserver file is moved to /usr/lib/openafs/vlserver.BAK. % bos install -server fs3.abc.com -file /afs/abc.com/rs_aix42/usr/lib/openafs/vlserver PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on the machine named by the -server argument, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. The bos install command cannot be run against servers which are in restricted mode. SEE ALSO
BosConfig(5), KeyFile(5), UserList(5), bos(8), bos_getdate(8), bos_getrestart(8), bos_restart(8), bos_setrestart(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BOS_INSTALL(8)