Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Fedora3 After XP
Operating Systems Linux Fedora3 After XP Post 66922 by duydien on Friday 18th of March 2005 04:22:22 AM
Old 03-18-2005
Fedora3 After XP

Hi, I love Linux and want to add it to my machine. But don't know how. Can anyone help ?

Problem
I have 2 hard disks. On Quantum I got XP running smoothly (and sometimes slowly too Smilie ). Now I want to install Fedora3 on the 2nd hard disk (Fujistu). I need detail instructions as I'm new to Linux.

1) How do I hook up the data cables connecting the IDE slots (there're 2) on motherboard and the hard disks ?

2) Which disk needs to be Master and which is Slave ?

3) Do I need to create a /boot partition in the linux disk ? If so, what should be its size ?

4) What should be the size of /swap partition ?

5) Where should I install GRUB bootloader into, MBR or the /, or /boot partition ?

6) AFter installation, how do I boot into the OS's ???

Please be specific to the point as I don't know much about linux and PC. Those terminologies I picked up when reading articles for similar problems. But those didn't do much good.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

dn

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Linux

Screen on Fedora3

I'm using Fedora3 and Screen when i do that, Scree dont load my Bash profile so my MC, centericq and swedish keyboard is mesed up.. how can i use screen and my bash_profile? or is there another way to fix it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snort
0 Replies
UML_MCONSOLE(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   UML_MCONSOLE(1)

NAME
uml_mconsole -- attach to the management console of a user-mode Linux kernel SYNOPSIS
uml_mconsole [socket] [command ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the uml_mconsole command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. uml_mconsole is a program to connect to the management console of a user-mode Linux kernel. The UML management console is a low-level interface to the kernel, somewhat like the i386 SysRq interface. Since there is a full-blown operating system under UML, there is much greater flexibility possible than with the SysRq mechanism. OPTIONS
socket The pathname of the socket to which to connect. This is printed when UML boots, for example: mconsole initialized on /tmp/umlNJ32yL/mconsole In this example, you would start uml_mconsole like this: uml_mconsole umlNJ32yL command Any of the commands listed in the "COMMANDS" section. COMMANDS
version Prints the UML version number. halt Shuts down the UML system immediately, without syncing disks or cleanly shutting down swap space. reboot Reboots the UML system immediately, without syncing disks or cleanly shutting down swap space. log string Cause UML to log string to the kernel log. cad Invokes the Control-Alt-Delete handler. sysrq letter Performs the SysRq action controlled by letter. stop Pauses UML. UML will do nothing until the 'go' command is issued. go Resumes execution after a 'stop' command. config device Adds a new device to the virtual machine, or queries the configuration of an existing device. It takes one argument, which is either the device to add, with the same syntax as the kernel command line, or the name of an existing device. For example: (mconsole) config ubd3=root_fs_debian22 OK (mconsole) config ubd3 OK root_fs_debian22 remove Deletes a device from the virtual machine. Its argument is the name of the device to be removed. In the case of the ubd driver, the removed block device must not be mounted, swapped on, or otherwise open, and in the case of the network driver, the device must be down. (mconsole) remove ubd3 OK SEE ALSO
linux(1) The UserModeLinux-HOWTO (link to URL http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/UserModeLinux-HOWTO.html) AUTHOR
uml_mconsole was written by Jeff Dike and others. This manual page was written by Matt Zimmerman mdz@debian.org for the Debian GNU/Linux system, based on material in the UserModeLinux-HOWTO by Rusty Russell, and the uml_mconsole source code. UML_MCONSOLE(1)