Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding current working dir path Post 6689 by liteyear18 on Monday 10th of September 2001 10:08:30 AM
Old 09-10-2001
Thanks for replying ober.

"finger" appears to only provide the logged-in users home directory and not the current working directory path they're in.
But, thanks for replying anyway. LY

Any other great ideas out there?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using grep to find a value in current dir and sub dirs?

Hey guys, I would like to find all files which contain "client1.dat". I would like to search from the current directory and all subs and print out all the files that have this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ecupirate1998
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling current working dir from script

Hello, I am having problem in setting current working directory from shell. I want to set pwd as an environmental variable in a script. I am following an existing script which is defined as HOME=$(shell dirname `pwd`) C_HOME=$(shell echo $(HOME) | sed -e 's:\/:\\\/:g' ) But when I am trying... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandra004
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

full path of a file situated either in parent's dir. or parent's parent dir. so on...

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I define a particular dir in PATH variable and then unset that dir

How do I define a particular dir in front of PATH variable and then run some job and then at the end of job SET the PATH variable to original? in a script, WILL something like this work: ORIG_PATH=$PATH export PATH=/dir1/dir2:$PATH RUN SOME JOBS ..... unset PATH EXPORT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

CPIO Problem, copy to the root dir / instead of current dir

HI all, I got a CPIO archive that contains a unix filesystem that I try to extract, but it extract to the root dir / unstead of current dir, and happily it detects my file are newer otherwise it would have overwrited my system's file! I tried all these commands cpio -i --make-directories <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekkro-kvlt
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Unable to Set Prompt to current working DIR

HPUX does not recognise \h,\w,\u to display the hostname,working directory and username respectively. So how do i set the PS1 variable to display my current working Directory as my prompt? I also tried PS1=$PWD, But it keeps showing the same directory path as prompt which PWD was holding at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Kulkarni
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy current date files to another dir

i have directory /abcd and i want to copy all today date files in /xyz directory. i am able to see the files by using below command but not able to understand copy. find . -mtime -1 -type f -exec ls -l {} \; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding DIR

Done this basic level script called mydir that prints the message File is a directory if the file is a directory. Code: #!/bin/kasha cat LIST | while read LINE do if ] then ls -ltr $LINE >out give=$LINE grep $1 out > out.txt grep ^d out.txt if ] ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save all the file of current date in another dir?

Hi i want to copy all the files of current date in another directory. for example, below i want to save all the file of 26 march to copied in debug dir. $ ls -lrt | tail -5 -rwxrwxrwx 1 khare guest 73 Jan 6 12:35 chk -rw-r--r-- 1 khare guest 770 Mar 26 02:21 cc1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies
FINGER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 FINGER(1)

NAME
finger -- user information lookup program SYNOPSIS
finger [-lmsp] [user ...] [user@host ...] DESCRIPTION
The finger displays information about the system users. Options are: -s Finger displays the user's login name, real name, terminal name and write status (as a ``*'' after the terminal name if write permis- sion is denied), idle time, login time, office location and office phone number. Login time is displayed as month, day, hours and minutes, unless more than six months ago, in which case the year is displayed rather than the hours and minutes. Unknown devices as well as nonexistent idle and login times are displayed as single asterisks. -l Produces a multi-line format displaying all of the information described for the -s option as well as the user's home directory, home phone number, login shell, mail status, and the contents of the files ``.plan'', ``.project'', ``.pgpkey'' and ``.forward'' from the user's home directory. Phone numbers specified as eleven digits are printed as ``+N-NNN-NNN-NNNN''. Numbers specified as ten or seven digits are printed as the appropriate subset of that string. Numbers specified as five digits are printed as ``xN-NNNN''. Numbers specified as four digits are printed as ``xNNNN''. If write permission is denied to the device, the phrase ``(messages off)'' is appended to the line containing the device name. One entry per user is displayed with the -l option; if a user is logged on multiple times, terminal information is repeated once per login. Mail status is shown as ``No Mail.'' if there is no mail at all, ``Mail last read DDD MMM ## HH:MM YYYY (TZ)'' if the person has looked at their mailbox since new mail arriving, or ``New mail received ...'', `` Unread since ...'' if they have new mail. -p Prevents the -l option of finger from displaying the contents of the ``.plan'', ``.project'' and ``.pgpkey'' files. -m Prevent matching of user names. User is usually a login name; however, matching will also be done on the users' real names, unless the -m option is supplied. All name matching performed by finger is case insensitive. If no options are specified, finger defaults to the -l style output if operands are provided, otherwise to the -s style. Note that some fields may be missing, in either format, if information is not available for them. If no arguments are specified, finger will print an entry for each user currently logged into the system. Finger may be used to look up users on a remote machine. The format is to specify a user as ``user@host'', or ``@host'', where the default output format for the former is the -l style, and the default output format for the latter is the -s style. The -l option is the only option that may be passed to a remote machine. If standard output is a socket, finger will emit a carriage return (^M) before every linefeed (^J). This is for processing remote finger requests when invoked by fingerd(8). FILES
~/.nofinger If finger finds this file in a user's home directory, it will, for finger requests originating outside the local host, firmly deny the existence of that user. For this to work, the finger program, as started by fingerd(8), must be able to see the .nofinger file. This generally means that the home directory containing the file must have the other-users-execute bit set (o+x). See chmod(1). If you use this feature for privacy, please test it with ``finger @localhost'' before relying on it, just in case. ~/.plan ~/.project ~/.pgpkey These files are printed as part of a long-format request. The .project file is limited to one line; the .plan file may be arbitrarily long. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), passwd(1), w(1), who(1) HISTORY
The finger command appeared in 3.0BSD. Linux NetKit (0.17) August 15, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)