Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Scripting Best Practices
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Scripting Best Practices Post 66582 by Just Ice on Wednesday 16th of March 2005 01:21:44 AM
Old 03-16-2005
and ...

* keep the same form throughout for your code ... inconsistent coding styles make debugging a lot harder regardless of who's doing it ... look at the 3 "if" forms below that people use in ksh scripting --- they do the same things but debugging could be prolonged if you used all of them in the same script instead of just 1 as the patterns are different ...

Code:
form 1: 

if [ cond ]; then
    command
fi

form 2:

if [ cond ]
then
    command
fi

form 3:

[ cond ] && command

* keep the code as simple as possible and then add to it when the basic form works ... write a quick script to test out the functionality first ... if that works, put in error checking and test ... more error checking and test ... you don't want to spend hours on the "perfect" script to learn later that it doesn't really do what you want it to do

* try not to hardcode file and/or directory paths ... makes it easier to test if you could use this or that file instead of the production file or directory ... like indo says --- variables are your friends!

* test as much as possible on a non-production server that closely mirrors the production environment ... unless you want to risk losing live production data --- that could be detrimental to your employment

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Best Practices

I am new to ksh scripts (still reading manuals). I need to write an application that reads a multi-line parameter file, builds sql on-the-fly, runs plsql and saves the output in a specific format for further processing. I am looking for anything on Best Practices for building such an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtravis
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

emergency shutdown best practices.

Has anyone implemented or have suggestions on how to shutdown many remote unix/linux servers from a single script initiated from 1 server? I need this to execute in parallel as time is not on my side. Our ups is sadly underrated and will die in approximately 15 minutes. (There is not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsw371
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripting best practices - trap command

I know there is a command called trap which can be used to capture the signals from a shell script and redirect the control to a required function (such as a cleanup). My question is - Those of you who have written lot of shell scripts - do you always write a set of trap commands to capture... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_evc
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best practices for Source control

Hi all, i am trying to incorporate source control management in my project. We have about 50 - 60 shell scripts on 3 different machines dev, stag and production, but there is no source control. All the files have to be located at specific locations on each machine for it to work I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chvs2000
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Script Best Practices

Hey there. I am a relative rookie when it comes to Linux/Unix Administration and have been learning to adapt my meager coding skill to working with shell scripts in the 'nix realms. I have done some exhausting searches for and found plenty of information on making scripts globally available but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tenuous
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Best practices

Dear all, Kinda lame question but i'd like to hear your experiences and advice. Question in short ----------------- What permission should a mount point "ideally" have - i think it's root. Ex:- /usr/app/ i'd set the app to be owned by root and within /usr/app i would create another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ossupport55
1 Replies

7. Linux

Virtualization best practices

Hello admins and gurus I have a controversial topic: now we are investing in a new Linux OS that will hold our Sybase database. The server will virtualized on a VMware server hosted on SAN storage. Now the question is, when we install the database engine is it better - in terms of performance -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
1 Replies
CAPISUITE(8)															      CAPISUITE(8)

NAME
capisuite - Python-scriptable ISDN telecommunication suite DESCRIPTION
CapiSuite is a Python-scriptable ISDN telecommunication suite. It uses the new CAPI interface for accessing your ISDN-hardware - so you'll need a card for which a CAPI compatible driver is available. Currently these are all cards manufactured by AVM and some Eicon cards. This man page only gives a short introduction, for the real documentation please see the HTML or PDF manual distributed with CapiSuite. CapiSuite tries to give the user the ability to code his own ISDN applications without having to fiddle around with all the dirty program- ming details like callback functions, data buffers, protocol settings and so on. I took a scripting language which is (in my opinion) very easy to understand, to use and to learn - especially for beginners: Python. I extended it with some functions providing the basic ISDN "building blocks" for the users application. Behind these functions the heart of CapiSuite implements all the dirty details a user isn't interested in. My goal was to make script-coding as simple as possible but to also give you the flexibility to realize what you want. To give you an impression, coding a simple answering machine is as easy as:.IP .nf def callIncoming (call, service, call_from, call_to): connect_voice (call, 10) # answer call after 10 secs audio_send (call, "announcemnt.la") # play announcement audio_send (call, "beep.la") # play beep audio_receive (call, "call.la", 10) # record call .fi Of course some details are missing like creating a unique filename or storing the additional information (called and calling party numbers, time, ...) - but I assume you got my idea. And - don't be afraid - if you just want to have a normal answering machine or send and receive some fax documents, you can use the default scripts distributed with CapiSuite. They give you already some nice features - e.g. the answering machine is multi-user ready, supports automatic fax detection and remote inquiry functions. You'll only need to tell CapiSuite some details like your own number, record an own announcement and that's it. So CapiSuite is already equipped for your daily telecommunication needs - but if you don't like to do the things the way I do - just change it or completely do it on your own. And if you write nice scripts or have changes to my default scripts, I would love to get and perhaps make them available for all users if you don't mind. SEE ALSO
capisuite.conf(5), fax.conf(5), answering_machine.conf(5), capisuitefax(1) AUTHOR
Gernot Hillier <gernot@hillier.de>. CAPISUITE(8)