Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nfsd won't start at boot up
Operating Systems Solaris nfsd won't start at boot up Post 66353 by dcshungu on Sunday 13th of March 2005 03:27:36 PM
Old 03-13-2005
UNIX Daemon:

Thank you for replying. The change to nfs start up script was on Fri 3/11, when I added 'set -x' at the very top, then I rebooted the system.

nmr% ls -ld /etc/init.d/nfs.server
-rwxr--r-- 6 root sys 2777 Mar 11 15:34 /etc/init.d/nfs.server*

nmr% ls -ld /etc/rc3.d /etc/rc3.d/*nfs.server

drw-r--r-- 2 root sys 512 Aug 20 2003 /etc/rc3.d/
-rwxr--r-- 6 root sys 2777 Mar 11 15:34 /etc/init.d/nfs.server*

nmr% ls -l /etc/inittab
-rwxr--r-- 1 root sys 1081 Jun 14 2002 /etc/inittab

"/etc/init.d/nfs.server start" does start nfsd when it fails to start at boot up, and that is how we are able to regain 'mount' functionality... And the system appears to be in run level 3.

nmr% who -r
. run-level 3 Mar 11 15:34

Though my 'dfstab' is populated with several 'share....', the shareall command does not appear to be executed at boot up since 'sharetab' is empty after a reboot. Manually typing 'shareall' repopulates 'sharetab'...

Any thoughts?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP 10.20 Won start

After I log ino the machine, a window pops up indicating that I should check that the HOSTNAME is the same in these three files /etc//rc.configd/netconf /etc/hosts /var/adm/inetd.sec How do I change the hostname in these files? Thanks, Mike h (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hutchin
1 Replies

2. Solaris

cannot find boot device and won't boot off cdrom

I'm running solaris 2.5.1. My main development server is DEAD, i can't even boot off the cdrom, it powers up, acts like it is starting the boot process but then says cannot find boot device. I've done the search here on this site and saw the other posts, but at the ok prompt it won't even let me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

3. SuSE

vsftpd won't start on SLES 10

I recently installed SLES 10 on an x86 64bit blade server. I then installed vsftpd from the suse cds through network services; however after configuring the vsftpd.conf file, the server fails to start: # /etc/init.d/vsftpd start Starting vsftpd startproc: exit status of parent of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave521
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

X Server won't start (Redhat 9) HELP

im running rh 9 on my vmware, i tryed changing the graphics card mode to resize the desktop, after restarting i get a message X Server cannot start. then it takes me to the consol screen to log on, "im new to using linux as of last night" It would be helpfull if anyone can help me resolve... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoteg
4 Replies

5. Solaris

production server won't start please help me!

if anyone can help me here I will be in debt eternaly. I'm in a spot here fearing for my job. I tried to install a new scsi array on our E5500. I powered it down correctly, removed the terminator, connected the array and powered it on. It was taking so long to come up I freaked out and powered... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ToolTalk won't start

on my AIX 6.1 CDE's ToolTalk server won't start. It says: dtsession: Unable to exec /usr/dt/install/oldrules/dtrmrules.driver. A file or directory in the path name does not exist. How can I fix this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
0 Replies

7. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

don't have nfsd mount point in /proc/fs/nfsd

hi guys I installed NFS server and everything started out fine but I don't have /proc/fs/nfsd entry and so I can't mount nfsd. Therefore I can't start my nfs service. Why don't I have /proc/fs/nfsd? How do I create that? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alirezan
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

vftpd won't start..

Hi, I am using redhat enterprise 5.7 have installed vsftpd successfully but every time I try to start the service it comes up with FAILED. Here is the contents of the vsftpd.conf file: # Allow anonymous FTP? (Beware - allowed by default if you comment this out). anonymous_enable=YES # #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: titley100
3 Replies

10. Fedora

Um, my computer suddenly won't start up

Okay, I'm fairly green at Fedora, but it has worked like a gem until now. On startup I get a screen that says this: Booting 'Fedora (3.6.11-4.fc16.x86_64)' Loading Fedora (3.611-4.fc16.x86_64) Loading initial ramdisk .... _Fedora-16-x86_6: Unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anchorsteamer
6 Replies
nfsd(1M)                                                                                                                                  nfsd(1M)

NAME
nfsd - NFS daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nfs/nfsd [-a] [-c #_conn] [-l listen_backlog] [-p protocol] [-t device] [nservers] nfsd is the daemon that handles client file system requests. Only users with {PRIV_SYS_NFS} and sufficient privileges to write to /var/run can run this daemon. The nfsd daemon is automatically invoked using share(1M) with the -a option. By default, nfsd starts over the TCP and UDP transports for versions 2 and 3. By default, it starts over the TCP for version 4. You can change this with the -p option. A previously invoked nfsd daemon started with or without options must be stopped before invoking another nfsd command. Administrators wanting to change startup parameters for nfsd should, as root, make changes in the /etc/default/nfs file. See nfs(4). The following options are supported: -a Start a NFS daemon over all available connectionless and connection-oriented transports, including UDP and TCP. Equivalent of setting the NFSD_PROTOCOL parameter to ALL in the nfs file. -c #_conn This sets the maximum number of connections allowed to the NFS server over connection-oriented transports. By default, the number of connections is unlimited. Equivalent of the NFSD_MAX_CONNECTIONS parameter in the nfs file. -l Set connection queue length for the NFS TCP over a connection-oriented transport. The default value is 32 entries. Equiva- lent of the NFSD_LISTEN_BACKLOG parameter in the nfs file. -p protocol Start a NFS daemon over the specified protocol. Equivalent of the NFSD_PROTOCOL parameter in the nfs file. -t device Start a NFS daemon for the transport specified by the given device. Equivalent of the NFSD_DEVICE parameter in the nfs file. The following operands are supported: nservers This sets the maximum number of concurrent NFS requests that the server can handle. This concurrency is achieved by up to nservers threads created as needed in the kernel. nservers should be based on the load expected on this server. 16 is the usual number of nservers. If nservers is not specified, the maximum number of concurrent NFS requests will default to 1. Equivalent of the NFSD_SERVERS parameter in the nfs file. USAGE
If the NFS_PORTMON variable is set in /etc/system, then clients are required to use privileged ports (ports < IPPORT_RESERVED) to get NFS services. This variable is equal to zero by default. This variable has been moved from the "nfs" module to the "nfssrv" module. To set the variable, edit the /etc/system file and add this entry: set nfssrv:nfs_portmon = 1 0 Daemon started successfully. 1 Daemon failed to start. .nfsXXX Client machine pointer to an open-but-unlinked file. /etc/default/nfs Contains startup parameters for nfsd. /etc/system System configuration information file. /var/nfs/v4_state Directories used by the server to manage client state information. These directories should not be removed. /var/nfs/v4_oldstate See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnfssu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ps(1), svcs(1), mountd(1M), share(1M), svcadm(1M), nfs(4), sharetab(4), system(4), attributes(5), smf(5) Manually starting and restarting nfsd is not recommended. If it is necessary to do so, use svcadm to enable or disable the nfs service (svc:/network/nfs/server). If it is disabled, it will be enabled by share_nfs(1M), unless its application/auto_enable property is set to false. See the , and svcadm(1M) for more information. The nfsd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/network/nfs/server Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. If nfsd is killed with SIGTERM, it will not be restarted by the service management facility. Instead, nfsd can be restarted by other sig- nals, such as SIGINT. 27 Apr 2005 nfsd(1M)