Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ifconfig bad address
Operating Systems Solaris ifconfig bad address Post 66170 by ppass on Friday 11th of March 2005 06:59:33 AM
Old 03-11-2005
i figured out the problem , i had the /etc/netconfig file missing ..
i resotored it form an old backup and now everything is runnig smoothly ..
thank u all once again
This User Gave Thanks to ppass For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Setting primary ip address with ifconfig

Hello, I have a server with two ip addresses. I need to make the ip address that's currently the secondary the primary. How do I use the ifconfig command and primary option? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmichner
5 Replies

2. IP Networking

Bad Address

I am trying to write a C server code that will handle WWW request from client. i am very new to socket programming. i can very well setup the socket...but when an incomin request comes from a browser, the progrom exits with an error message "Bad address". the following is the code. please do help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shankarramv
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

ifconfig: ce401001: bad address

HI All, My interface card has failed.If i am giving the command to uplumb it i am getting an error. ce401001: flags=219040843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DEPRECATED,IPv4,NOFAILOVER,FAILED,CoS> mtu 1500 index 3 inet 10.188.24.18 netmask ffffffc0 broadcast 10.188.24.63 # ifconfig... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how grep the inet address for in ifconfig command

hi, i want to know how to grep inet address for below below is the output of ifconfig command /home/JA> ifconfig eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:0A:5B:2E:E9 inet addr:161.239.203.18 Bcast:161.239.203.127 Mask:255.255.255.128 UP BROADCAST RUNNING... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to grep only IP address of e1000g0 using ifconfig -a

Hello All, Can someone show me how to cat "only the IP address of e1000g0" using ifconfig -a. i am trying to grep only the ip address (xx.xx.xx.xx) from the bunch of all other things like, broadcast address, IPV4, UP........and so on. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaix14
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to get IP address from ifconfig

I'm a newbie to linux, so pleases forgive me! I would like to find a script that I could use to extract a dynamic ip from the ppp0 and set it as a variable to be used in IPTables basically, if ppp0 ip address is 10.10.10.20, I would like a script that would set a var to 10.10.10.0. of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: speedy3k
9 Replies

7. IP Networking

IP Address not found in ifconfig/netstat

I'm working on an AIX Unix LPAR (AIX 3.5 00C3C9904C00 as returned by uname -a) I can access this box using telnet, port 22 using adress IP A and B A=AA.AA.XX.XX and B=AA.AA.YYY.YYY I can confirm these 2 are the same space, I can see I can't find address B listed anywhere... so I wonder what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Isax50
1 Replies

8. Solaris

ifconfig - making netmask & broadcast address permanent?

hi, I am trying to configure one of my interfaces, but after reboot - i lose the changes to the netmask & broadcast address. I have added an entry in /etc/netmasks, but it doesnt pick up the new settings. any ideas - much appreciated. before reboot: eri0:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting the ip address from ifconfig

Hi I am trying to create a script extracting the IP provided by ifconfig. I tried with grep + awk but I am returned more than I need. /sbin/ifconfig eth0 | grep "inet addr:" | awk '/inet addr:/ { print $2 }' and returns addr:10.15.1.64 How can I remove "addr:" string?... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manustone
9 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Bad Address when adding system call

Hi guys. I have downloaded kernel 2.6.38-5 to add a system call. I did the following steps: 1. I have added my system call to system call table <src folder>/arc/x86/kernel/syscall_table_32.S .long sys_mycall 2. i have added the system cal number in <src... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
5 Replies
LO(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     LO(4)

NAME
lo -- software loopback network interface SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device loop DESCRIPTION
The loop interface is a software loopback mechanism which may be used for performance analysis, software testing, and/or local communication. As with other network interfaces, the loopback interface must have network addresses assigned for each address family with which it is to be used. These addresses may be set or changed with the SIOCSIFADDR ioctl(2). The loopback interface should be the last interface configured, as protocols may use the order of configuration as an indication of priority. The loopback should never be configured first unless no hard- ware interfaces exist. The loopback interface lo0 is created at boottime, it always exists and cannot be destroyed with ifconfig(8). Additional loopback interfaces can be created by using the ifconfig(8) create command. DIAGNOSTICS
lo%d: can't handle af%d . The interface was handed a message with addresses formatted in an unsuitable address family; the packet was dropped. SEE ALSO
inet(4), intro(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The lo device appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Previous versions of the system enabled the loopback interface automatically, using a nonstandard Internet address (127.1). Use of that address is now discouraged; a reserved host address for the local network should be used instead. BSD
September 3, 2006 BSD