Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware activating network connection in linux Post 65519 by milhan on Sunday 6th of March 2005 12:43:40 PM
Old 03-06-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by locustfurnace
If you must enable Telnet, enable it in your /etc/inetd.conf file.
Read through the manual; man telnet
thanks for your reply locustfurnace, but there's no inetd.conf file in the system(in Fedora).

I am having the same problem in Windows OS, too. No one in our LAN can can connect to my computer using telnet from their computer. Even I can't telnet to my computer from my computer. The reason I am asking telnet is, because MS-Dos does not support ssh command. I found inetd.conf in Windows(using cygwin) but I don't really know what to do inside that file.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

new office - no network connection!

We have just moved offices and in the same week recieved a SUN box from another company site. I'm attemting to connect this SUN box to the network, but i can't see it on the network. I have modified the /etc/host file with the IP i want to attribute to the box, rebooted, but still nothing.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colesy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System looses network connection

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem. I have SCO 5.0.5 installed on a system that I am using 3c905b (3 Com) network card. This system is always powered on. After no certain time period this NIC doesn't work. I can't ping to this system from any other machine or vice... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tinal
5 Replies

3. IP Networking

Kermit- dialup and network connection

hi all, Using kermit, i made serial dialup connetion between two PCs through telephone line and transfered files trough this line. The code appears as like this, set modem type generic #Setting the modem type. set modem data-compression on #Data compression on to speed up transfer.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network connection problem in unix

I have a network connection problem in unix. I am trying to access to LAN in unix but unfortunately it doesn't work. For example, if I ping from Unix to windows it says 'the network is unreacable'. Also, I can't ping in windows to unix. I would be glad if someone could help me. Thanks. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fatihshen
5 Replies

5. Ubuntu

network connection on ubuntu

Hi, I am using ubuntu 8.x. I am not not able connect to internet through broadband. i'm also using windows xp, there i don't have any problems. Please tell me how access the internet on ubuntu 8.x through broadband. Thanks, Achhayya:) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: achhayya
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Why network connection is down?

Hello colleague, Development department is deploying some applications on solaris machine but hence all connection goes down. Our all network connection files are correct but we can't connect with our gw. Only we can ping localhost and assigned ip address. I don't want to reboot for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies

7. Linux

Network connection

Hi, I installed linux Fedora on a virtual machine, but the network connection is not working. All firewalls are off. Any ideas what is the problem? I am using WiFi. Thanks in advance! Regards, Atanas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
2 Replies

8. Solaris

network connection failing

hi, I'm setting up a home lab and I am having problems keeping my connection open on putty. every time i leave it for about 10 seconds and come back I keep having to re-connect. I'm more of a AIX person and trying to get more fimilar with Sun but some of the commands I am trying to run to diag... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpundit
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris Network Connection

Hi, Recently we faced awkward situation where we cannot connect to Oracle DB that hosted in Solaris server intermittently and it timeout eventually. The server seems fine. We can putty to server like normal but when try do prstat, it takes time and come out Please Wait.. for a while. When we go... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tharmendran
1 Replies
inetconv(1M)                                              System Administration Commands                                              inetconv(1M)

NAME
inetconv - convert inetd.conf entries into smf service manifests, import them into smf repository SYNOPSIS
inetconv -? inetconv [-f] [-n] [-i srcfile] [-o destdir] inetconv -e [-n] [-i srcfile] DESCRIPTION
The inetconv utility converts a file containing records of inetd.conf(4) into smf(5) service manifests, and then import those manifests into the smf repository. Once the inetd.conf file has been converted, the only way to change aspects of an inet service is to use the inetadm(1M) utility. There is a one-to-one correspondence between a service line in the input file and the manifest generated. By default, the manifests are named using the following template: <svcname>-<proto>.xml The <svcname> token is replaced by the service's name and the <proto> token by the service's protocol. Any slash (/) characters that exist in the source line for the service name or protocol are replaced with underscores (_). The service line is recorded as a property of the converted service. During the conversion process, if a service line is found to be malformed or to be for an internal inetd service, no manifest is generated and that service line is skipped. The input file is left untouched by the conversion process. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -? Display a usage message. -e Enable smf services which are listed in the input file. -f If a service manifest of the same name as the one to be generated is found in the destination directory, inetconv will overwrite that manifest if this option is specified. Otherwise, an error message is generated and the conversion of that service is not performed. -i srcfile Permits the specification of an alternate input file srcfile. If this option is not specified, then the inetd.conf(4) file is used as input. -n Turns off the auto-import of the manifests generated during the conversion process. Later, if you want to import a generated manifest into the smf(5) repository, you can do so through the use of the svccfg(1M) utility. If the -e option is specified, the -n option only displays the smf services that would be enabled. -o Permits the specification of an alternate destination directory destdir for the generated manifests. If this option is not specified, then the manifests are placed in /var/svc/manifest/network/rpc, if the service is a RPC service, or /var/svc/manifest/network other- wise. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generating smf Manifests from inetd.conf The following command generates smf(5) manifests from inetd.conf(4) and places them in /var/tmp, overwriting any preexisting manifests of the same name, and then imports them into the smf repository. # inetconv -f -o /var/tmp 100232/10 -> /var/tmp/100232_10-rpc_udp.xml Importing 100232_10-rpc_udp.xml ...Done telnet -> /var/tmp/telnet-tcp6.xml Importing telnet-tcp6.xml ...Done Example 2: Generating Manifests from an Alternate Input File The following command specifies a different input file and does not load the resulting manifests into the smf repository. # inetconv -n -i /export/test/inet.svcs -o /var/tmp 100232/10 -> /var/tmp/100232_10-rpc_udp.xml telnet -> /var/tmp/telnet-tcp6.xml EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Operation completed successfully (no errors). 1 Invalid options specified. 2 One or more service lines are malformed, and thus no manifest(s) were generated for them. 3 An error occurred importing one or more of the generated manifests. 4 A system error occurred. FILES
/var/svc/manifest/network/{rpc}/<svcname>-<proto>.xml default output manifest file name ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
inetadm(1M), inetd(1M), svccfg(1M), inetd.conf(4), attributes(5), smf(5) SunOS 5.10 21 Oct 2004 inetconv(1M)