Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Trying to get into OpenBSD
Operating Systems BSD Trying to get into OpenBSD Post 65237 by echan on Thursday 3rd of March 2005 06:00:41 PM
Old 03-03-2005
3. pkg_info -a shows all installed packages.

5. The syntax for setting environment variable in sh is:
PATH = /usr/X11R6/bin
export PATH

Migrating from Linux to BSD takes some time to adjust. When I first learned to use FreeBSD, I had to reinstall quite a few times. So you shouldn't give up.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

please help with openbsd 2.9

Please help. I have downloaded the openbsd 2.9 snapshot from ftp.openbsd.org. the following files were downloaded from the snapshot dir. ( the whole dir. was downloaded ) base29,bsd,bsd.rd,cdrom29.fs,cksum,comp29,etc29,all three floppy images,game29,index,install.ata,install.chs... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blunt_Killer
11 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Maxtor vs. OpenBSD

Can't setup OpenBSD 3.4 with Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 80Gb ATA/133 HDD... Install process stops at hardware initialize, before installing... :confused: Any Comments... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsdave
2 Replies

3. BSD

Snort on openbsd

Im trying to gather some info to set up snort on openbsd 3.2, has anyone out there managed to get it up and running ? My initial attempts seem to be quite below par (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcontent
4 Replies

4. BSD

openbsd : cannot login

hi OK. I don't know exactly what I did to system! The system is OpenBSD 3.5. It is 200MMX, 16MB ram 1.2 + 2.4 GB HDD. The system was running well. But a few days ago I try to unpack a big tar.gz file and the system uses most the cpu and ram for this. While the system unpacking the file I try to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
4 Replies

5. BSD

OpenBSD security

OpenBSD is best OS in the world! - I'm talking about security :) After 10 years popularity in OpenBSD, was founded just!!!!!!!!!!!!! just one security hole! You can download OpenBSD from there . However, do you know a better OS? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zylwyz
1 Replies

6. BSD

setting up OpenBSD 4.0

ok these questions may be a little silly but I just started using OpenBSD as I came from Linux... 1. How do I make my desktop in X all snazzy like, I have wallpapers that need to be used. while I admit it will mainly be used for things I wont need a wallpaper for, you just never know :p, im... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siphter
4 Replies

7. BSD

OpenBSD and wireless

I've just installed OpenBSD on my laptop (IBM Thinkpad T42) and since this is my first time with wireless networking in OpenBSD I'm a bit lost. What I would like to do is connect to a wireless network using WEP or WPA. Where do I place the key and essid? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmy66
3 Replies

8. BSD

RAIDing openbsd 4.2

Hello! Can anyone tell me how to make software RAID1 on openbsd 4.2. I try by some manuals but have no results.Maybe is somewhere good manual directly to openbsd 4.2 version? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kasparens
1 Replies

9. BSD

openbsd-pf

hello , I wondered if anyone could assist me in writing a simple packet filter firewall on my OpenBSD v4.5. All I intend doing is to have two firewalling machine on a separate network : 192.168.1.1 ext_if = xl0 (dhcp) // Internet interface int_if=xl1 // Internatl interface ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattjam
0 Replies

10. BSD

OpenBSD pf problems

I am having troubles with this pf configuration, it seems when loaded nothing can access my server on the internal interface for the LAN, I cannot see why, and it's pretty much based off the very standard example in the OpenBSD faq. When I unload the configuration, I can access the DNS server on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Tate
0 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)