Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: getline with a unique
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting getline with a unique Post 65088 by gozer13 on Thursday 3rd of March 2005 11:20:27 AM
Old 03-03-2005
I am trying to return only one of the responses of the four. It doesn't really matter, I think I may have figured it out though. I read something last night, and the lightbulb glowed that getline isn't used for what I thought it was. Thanks for the help vgersh I appriciate it.

..gozer13

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

utility of getline here?

hi , I got a script that I don't understand. awk '{ command="echo "$1 command | getline echome close(command) print $0 "\t" echome }' < user.list It reads the file user.list user.list London John Bridge Peter and sends the stream to the awk command. I don't understand what is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: remid1985
3 Replies

2. Programming

'getline' questions

I have a C program I've written that includes a 'getline' call that is used to read a line at a time from a file and process the information in each line. A potential problem comes up since I don't know the maximum length of each line; right now I'm using a constant of 256, but that might not be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopard
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get part of file with unique & non-unique string

I have an archive file that holds a batch of statements. I would like to be able to extract a certain statement based on the unique customer # (ie. 123456). The end for each statement is noted by "ENDSTM". I can find the line number for the beginning of the statement section with sed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewsc
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

errors while using getline

i wrote following script to test getline BEGIN{ while ( "who" | getline > 0) nr++ print nr } when i run this script as awk -f scriptname (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
2 Replies

5. Programming

getline()

I can not get 'getline()' to compile. I have tried. string curLine; //= compiler error char* curLine; //=compiler error char curLine; //=compiler error Every example I see uses a string as a getline(); parameter. It does not work for me on Fedora14 with gcc-c++. Thank you so much. This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

6. Programming

getline() and fclose()

Hi All, When I do man getline on my Linux system (in BASH), I see an example C code where a file is being read using getline() function. Now, my question is why there is no fclose() to close the open file pointer? People who don't have a Linux system, this is the code that I am referring... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change unique file names into new unique filenames

I have 84 files with the following names splitseqs.1, spliseqs.2 etc. and I want to change the .number to a unique filename. E.g. change splitseqs.1 into splitseqs.7114_1#24 and change spliseqs.2 into splitseqs.7067_2#4 So all the current file names are unique, so are the new file names.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avonm
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print unique lines without sort or unique

I would like to print unique lines without sort or unique. Unfortunately the server I am working on does not have sort or unique. I have not been able to contact the administrator of the server to ask him to add it for several weeks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline

Hi, I have an awk script with the following function in it . function cmd( c ) { while( ( c | getline foo) > 0 ){ return foo ; close( c ); } } c =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MetaMan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with if, getline, and another if

Howdy Folks, It seems like it is always awk that confuses the heck out of me and I even have books and examples. I have this line: awk '{if (/clientIP/)(SRV = $NF); if ($2 ~ /BUNDLE-GIM/) getline; if ($2 ~ /r100595/) {print SRV,"BUNDLE-GIM",$2}}' post.txt to parse this text: <api... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: port43
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)